BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help with a headlight issue.

About a month ago I installed a HID. Everything seemed to go fine. The other day while riding after about 1 hour the head light shut off. I have checked the fuse, and it is fine. I have used a meter and I have not voltage at the lamp. I re-installed the original light and still not voltage?

Every thing else seems to work, radio, high beam, turns signals. Any suggestions? Is there a relay for the head lights? What else in on the circuit with the headlight? Could the heat from the HID cause this problem?

I will be checking the tech for answers also.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Sounds like a bad ground to me. Check continuity of brown wire in headlight assem. Also check voltage to low beam using another ground source.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,594 Posts
Not to highjack your thread studawg, but mine went out about three months ago and I found that it was a bad connector.

I just noticed yesterday that it was out again on my way home from work. The day before I drove home in some minor rain showers (I do not know if this affected it). When I got home yesterday I reached under the nose cone and touched all of the wires, the light did not come on. I than tried turning on and off the ignition a bunch of times. After about ten attempts, the HID fired up, and is now working. Any suggestions from anyone on this?????

·
Registered
528 Posts
Mike, it still sounds like an intermitten ground. If it happens again I would unplug the HID at the connection after it exits the headlight housing and check to see if you have power at that point. If you have no power there then problem is in headlight housing, ie. poor connection etc. if you have power at that point I would look at ballast or ignitor checking each connection as you go.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
mtrevelino said:
Not to highjack your thread studawg, but mine went out about three months ago and I found that it was a bad connector.

I just noticed yesterday that it was out again on my way home from work. The day before I drove home in some minor rain showers (I do not know if this affected it). When I got home yesterday I reached under the nose cone and touched all of the wires, the light did not come on. I than tried turning on and off the ignition a bunch of times. After about ten attempts, the HID fired up, and is now working. Any suggestions from anyone on this?????
My HID setup had a connector that the spade was loose. It would fire the HID, but then go out. I looked in the connector and saw that it would push right out the back. The little tang that holds it in the connector wasn't holding it. Re bent that a bit and put a piece of a toothpick in there to wedge it in place even better. No probs since.

Check and re-check connectors, everyone. At the price of the CQ light setup, we can't expect perfection and apparently the connectors and assembly are places where corners are cut to make the conversion profitable at that price point.

Randy

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
WARNING!!!! Do NOT attept to check voltage at the lamp itself!!! There is a HIGH VOLTAGE there and it will damage the average "test" equipment!!

I installed an HID which blew the fuse. Check that out.. check for voltage on the BMW wires and verify a good "ground"... If the "original" lamp won't light, chances are the fuse is gone.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
billybiker said:
Whats an Ight? Is it a small Italian?
???????????

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cfell said:
WARNING!!!! Do NOT attept to check voltage at the lamp itself!!! There is a HIGH VOLTAGE there and it will damage the average "test" equipment!!

I installed an HID which blew the fuse. Check that out.. check for voltage on the BMW wires and verify a good "ground"... If the "original" lamp won't light, chances are the fuse is gone.

I did check the fuse labeled headlight a 7.5 a, i believe. I metered good and looks good. How ever not sure the book and fuses match.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My HID conversion recently failed, the cause was the switch relay that is part of the wiring that comes with the kit. This is situated between the fuse and the bulb, if you are lucky like me you will have installed both main and dip headlight kits which will mean you will be able to swap the relay switch over to prove that is the switch which has failed.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Dangerous2 said:
My HID conversion recently failed, the cause was the switch relay that is part of the wiring that comes with the kit. This is situated between the fuse and the bulb, if you are lucky like me you will have installed both main and dip headlight kits which will mean you will be able to swap the relay switch over to prove that is the switch which has failed.

I've had the same problem....turned out to be the low-beam relay....both times. Make sure that it's positioned with the male pins facing down.....if you have it the other way, water will seep inside and rust everything.

Pat

1 - 14 of 14 Posts