BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just in the classified.
Thought I saw some kind of shield over the head light. It is transparent of course my first time seeing it. Any 2010 LT out there with such a protector? Thanks Is it secure?
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I have the Cee Baily type. I wonder how much protection the stick-on film type would protect the headlight lens from a rock.
I had a rock break my headlight lens, cost a few hundred $ IIRC because you have to buy the whole BMW headlight assembly.
The plexiglass protector is cheap insurance IMO.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I use the Cee Bailey's Guard. I had the thin Xpel stuff on my BMW car lenses and a rock still broke the lens. Ouch $$$$. Go the baileys direction.
Larry

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey fellers that just jumped to the head of my list. Thanks all, not the peel on kind but instead the aircraft shield from Cee Baileys. Head lamps on the cars cost a bundle so I don't need to find out what the BMW replacement would be.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Here's what I had to buy when I broke my headlight, (before I purchased the headlight protector):

From the Max BMW Parts fische:
01 63122305400 HEADLIGHT 3.97 1 $577.54

I remembered it begin kinda 'spensive.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
CharlieVT said:
I have the Cee Baily type. I wonder how much protection the stick-on film type would protect the headlight lens from a rock.
I had a rock break my headlight lens, cost a few hundred $ IIRC because you have to buy the whole BMW headlight assembly.
The plexiglass protector is cheap insurance IMO.
Curtis I have the 3M stick on type on my LT & it works great. The stick on ones can only be used on the 99 to 04 bikes with the glass headlight. the 05 & up have a composite lens that the stick on will not work on. This info comes from the people I bought my guard from. I took a big rock to the headlight 3 years ago after I installed the 3M guard. It did put a small chip in the light but the film keeps it from breaking.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Has anyone that had one break been a 2005 or newer LT? I've got a 2009.

Some one said that in 2005 BMW changed the lense material.

Although for about $60 for the Cee Baileys it pretty cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Ole Toad's headlight lens gotta Ricochet brand stick-on type of protection film back in '99. I can't count the number of hits it's taken; from flying debris thown up by vehicles ahead (including gravel-hauler semi's), rocks, one blown tire tread, and an exploding airchuck thangie that set me to questioning "should I be handling tools"!!

So far, the film remains invisible (I gotta tell folks it's on there and they have to look at the edges to make sure); hasn't yellowed like some paint protection film will do; and back when I purchased a huge roll of it to gift out, it came with a claim that it would withstand a pellet gun bullet at 20'. I believe it.

Like Stevie said tho, it's for glass lens. Altho, I use a piece of it to cover the radio display window and the display window of two GPS units - works a treat, as they say over the pond. Not sure it's available these days - was a Canadian manufacturer. Good stuff.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I got the cee bailey and I concur on the clear, I got it right after a rock hit the lens and chipped it. Luckily it didn't break as that would have been expensive.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I've had the clear 3M film on my 02 K1200LT and so far, no problem and it's still practically invisible. It came with a 5 year warranty, which is up and I'm wondering if anyone had had bad results with it or could not get a claim honored?

I'm considering it for my K1600, but that has, I think, a plastic type of lens as opposed to the glass one on my K1200LT.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts