BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm in Cleveland. Sounds like a good opportunity for a "tech session" Changing a head gasket is a involved but doable job for the shade tree mechanic. I would arm yourself with the Chilton's manual before anything else. Read it and decide if it is within your realm.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Changing the head gasket would involve removing the left side tupperware.
The valve cover and cams... The intake and exhaust assembly's. and finally the head..
Maybe some coolant stuff involved as well.. Radiator hose, etc....

Doable for sure... But it'll be a little work..Probably easier than your family 4 cylinder car...
Since it's all hanging out there in the open...

John

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,919 Posts
It took us about 4 hours to pull the head on Steve Rowe's bike last month. Need to pull the timing cover as well. Could do it in and out in a little over 8 hours. What makes you think you need to change it?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it always blew a little oil on start up especially on the side stand. but no\w it seems to be smoking more. I've got 60,000 on it. I would think I'd have to change it but what else can it be?

·
Premium Member
7,545 Posts
VincesBMW said:
Well it always blew a little oil on start up especially on the side stand. but no\w it seems to be smoking more. I've got 60,000 on it. I would think I'd have to change it but what else can it be?
Rings, cylinder walls, piston, valve seals. Unless you are seeing other symptoms such as oil in the coolant, loss of coolant, water in the oil, etc., the head gasket is about the last thing I would suspect.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
if it is not the normal smoke at start up on side stand, and it is not using water(coolant) then one would suspect the rings or valve stem seals (I doubt it), but possible, changing the head gasket will not stop oil useage or smoke. it does other things but basically is only a seal between the cyl head and the block, you will need to investigate a lot more if you are worried about the smoke

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
Start parking on the center stand and most of your worries will disappear! :bmw:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,919 Posts
I agree it is most likely not the head gasket causing that. Best to do a leak down test on each cyclinder - that will tell alot. Remember allowable oil consumption is one liter per 1,000 km.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts