BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Is there a tutorial out there on replacing the LT head gasket? What about the difficulty factor?
Thank you,
Doug.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,358 Posts
No but it is not that hard. You do have to remove the radiators, throttle bodies, fuel rail, exhaust, timing cover, cam shafts and chain. I have yet to see one fail but I have removed mine for a re-ring and valve job. What makes you think the gasket has failed?

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
No but it is not that hard. You do have to remove the radiators, throttle bodies, fuel rail, exhaust, timing cover, cam shafts and chain. I have yet to see one fail but I have removed mine for a re-ring and valve job. What makes you think the gasket has failed?
I know these bikes are known for excessive exhaust when cold. It just seemed last time I ran it there was a lot of steam in exhaust. Maybe didn't warmed up enough and it had been a while between starts (1999 43k miles). First I'll do compression and leak down tests. It's probably fine.
Thanks.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,358 Posts
The compression test will let you know if it is the cylinder walls. They all smoke when left on the side stand.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
I know these bikes are known for excessive exhaust when cold. It just seemed last time I ran it there was a lot of steam in exhaust. Maybe didn't warmed up enough and it had been a while between starts (1999 43k miles). First I'll do compression and leak down tests. It's probably fine.
Thanks.
A primary byproduct of a catcon is water vapor so in cool, humid weather you can get a lot of steam.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts