BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last couple weeks I have noticed most of my fellow Space Center commuters are slowing down a little. Gone (if only temporarily) are the old Kennedy 500 days where only a few were doing anything less than 5-10 over, and half were pushing 15. I try to keep it down to 62 in a 55 which allows five trips to work on a tankful in the 'vette and 3 on the LT (85 mile commute).

A side benefit seems to be more people willing to get the hell out of the left lane. Instead of stacking up traffic for mile because they're "already doin' 60", they move over and file along at 55. Turn signal usage seems to be going up too. Yeah the price of gas sucks, but there is a small upside.

Interstate speeds seem to have dropped too.

So how about you? Slowin' down any?

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
hoog62 said:
Over the last couple weeks I have noticed most of my fellow Space Center commuters are slowing down a little. Gone (if only temporarily) are the old Kennedy 500 days where only a few were doing anything less than 5-10 over, and half were pushing 15. I try to keep it down to 62 in a 55 which allows five trips to work on a tankful in the 'vette and 3 on the LT (85 mile commute).

A side benefit seems to be more people willing to get the hell out of the left lane. Instead of stacking up traffic for mile because they're "already doin' 60", they move over and file along at 55. Turn signal usage seems to be going up too. Yeah the price of gas sucks, but there is a small upside.

Nope, put the F250 diesel on vacation and bought a smaller car (MINI) so I could keep go'n fast and still get better gas mileage! :yeah:

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
hoog62 said:

Well, no. Our cars very seldome get out of town and there is no real highway running through this area so the top speed we ever get in the car is 50mph. The bike is another story. If I go somewhere, I am still using the same pattern that I have been.

At the end of this month we will take our boy to a camp 400 miles from here and I will set the cruise at 72ish or so. No real speed demon in a Tie-yoda.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
The wife & I work together having us commute together as well.
We do so in our "04" Ford F-150 work truck. The little 4.6 triton V-8 gives us 17 MPG at 60 or 75mph .... and with thinner traffic these days along with a car pool lane, NOPE .... Not slowed down much.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Judging by I 45 traffic in Houston gas is still 99 cents. Weaving in and out of traffic passing me while I go 75-80. No noticable change.

·
Registered
345 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I've slowed down on the back roads but not on the highway. And on the highways, I notice the people in the slow lanes going slower as I seem to pass them quicker now.:p Plus, people still use the number one lane to use their cruise control to control traffic.:D

·
Slow Old Guy
2,012 Posts
Unfortunatly, they are still bump drafting here in L.A. :(

·
Cat Herder
1,491 Posts
not on the bike.... i can't speed to much in town... to many tourist in the way

·
Registered
42 Posts
Noticed same thing here coming home tonight on my short, 15 mile ride across Loop 1604.

Drivers racing to the next vehicle in the slow lane to use as blocker: zero
Drivers staying in the left lane at or just under 70: zero
Drivers passing me while riding 70-75 mph: maybe three

I also got to wondering if this is a side effect of the gas prices.

Sure was nice the last couple of days to cruise at 70 or slower in the slow lane and not feel threatened of being rammed or being caught in the draft in the left lane at 80+

rickbnsa

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I've noticed less traffic in the San Fernando Valley area, both weekdays and weekends. In addition to the usual morning and evening rush hours, there used to be a lunch rush hour, too. The two days I was travelling through the valley at lunch time there were no slow-downs at all. Weekend traffic is noticably lighter.

As for speed, well, I like speed :), and if I'm paying $4.50+/gallon I'm going to enjoy it!

This reminds me - saw something on CNN a few nights ago called "hyper-mileage". Some guy with a basic Honda Accord was getting 50 mpg. He accomplished this by not idling, being ready to put the car in gear and go as soon as the car is started, coasting as much as possible, using the brakes as little as possible, fully inflating tires, using low viscosity oil, and even shutting the car OFF while at freeway speeds and coasting (called this "advanced" and advised the avg person not do it).

Obviously, you can't do all these things all the time, but general coasting, timing lights, proper tire inflation can save a few bucks.

At $4.50 per gallon, saving just 1 gallon per week is $234.00 in your pocket - sure is something to think about.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
motorhead said:
The little 4.6 triton V-8 gives us 17 MPG at 60 or 75mph .... and with thinner traffic these days along with a car pool lane, NOPE .... Not slowed down much.
The "little" 4.6 is actually the venerable 5.0 liter, like in the Mustang. You can really trick them boogers out to give you 5 mpg.

BTW, I have one in my pickemup and just love that truck. Getting about the same mileage as you and don't baby it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
No not me :)
I am not much of a lead foot in the car but tend to have a lead wrist on the bike for some unexplainable reason :D , go figure.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...and then I come across this guy today on the way in...

CAUTION: Crappy cell phone pic ahead

Nice gear bro.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bright yellow and boy was that thing singin' to keep up.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I haven't changed my driving habits at all. I normally get good gas mileage with all my vehicles so there isn't much to do except stop riding and that isn't going to happen.

I have noticed some drivers around town that seem to have slowed down some. Mostly I have noticed a good amount of scooters on the roads in town and even on the freeways through town. Some of those kind of slow other drivers down. I haven't heard of any scooters getting run over yet.

·
Registered
261 Posts
We travel a lot on Highway 30 here in Nebraska and there is a lot of cattle haulers and grain trucks traveling this highway going to & from the packing plants and ethanol plants. I usually travel 5 over the posted 60 MPH and had almost always been passed by these trucks running in the 70+ MPH range, now I pass the trucks while running at 60 to 65 MPH. And no I have not slowed down I just don't ride too fast anymore, I have already paid my share in the way of speeding fines, like in the older I get the faster I was.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts