BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
The coin test on a 2019 R1250RT. The coin will stay up on the K16 and its OK on the R1250RT, don't think you would have any chance of making it balance on an older RT.

Bike must be on the center stand. When I test rode a 1250 while at a stand still waiting on the traffic light it would move sideways as you revved the engine like this in the video. Even so the new RT is extremely smooth riding.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bike must be on the center stand. When I test rode a 1250 while at a stand still waiting on the traffic light it would move sideways as you revved the engine like this in the video. Even so the new RT is extremely smooth riding.
I have done the same thing on the K16 and yes the bike must be on the centre stand and upright. They have made great strides in making the R1250 smooth.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Is the 1250RT as smooth at the throttle handlebar as the K16 or the Wing doing 80-90 on the interstate?
Both are smooth at the handlebars when the cruise control is engaged and fingertip pressure is all you need :) . Two big 625cc cylinders will never be as smooth as six little cylinders of 267cc (K1600) or 300 cc (GL1800) though.

That said, I got rid of my both my Wing and my GTL because they're not suitable for the riding I prefer. I like to search out backroads and avoid the interstate if at all possible - Charles Kuralt was IMO correct when he said "Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything." Destinations are fine, I have a bucket list like most people, but I like to enjoy the journey too.

Reactions: gary45

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hope this is not off topic. Current machine is 2016 R1200RT. It was purchased after I had a two year layoff of riding due to employment situation. Previous rides included a couple of Honda ST1100s and an ST1300, which are 90 degree counterbalanced V-4s. Very smooth motors, which some found to not have enough character due to their smooth nature.

Since I had a break in riding, I did not test ride my new R1200RT - I put my trust in published road tests.
When I picked up the new bike, I started the engine and was immediately concerned about vibration as I watched the windscreen wiggling at idle. I was assured that once the bike was moving, that I would be fine. That was true - I found this twin to be smooth enough.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Purchased a used 2012 K1600 with 13K miles on it, wonderful ride till the 16k mile service was forthcoming. The near $2k +- cost of the service and the slowly declining value of the bike drove me to purchase a 2020 1250LT.

Dealer treated me as well as can be expected, like the new bike's agility MUCH better than the old bike, as it fits my riding needs considering my age.

Do really miss of the six cylinder engine's startup procedure and the resulting ear (and eye) catching sound when all cylinders are firing at idle or higher revs.

Short story: was at local dealer's place, a new rider was taking delivery of a new bike, I got on my k16, pushed the start button. The new rider's family was there, all heads turned towards where the sound was coming from. I did get some stares and smiles, yeah, that sort of a thing is a rush, albeit small, and yeah, I did smile (grin?) back.

RR Gary, retired locomotive engineer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My beemer RT experience started about 10+ years ago, First with a 2002 R1150RT, the one that started it all, didnt realize what I was missing, loved it! Then a 2007 RT, a 2009 GS (just wasn't an RT), briefly tried a Goldwing. At first loved the smoothness, Honda reliability, but everything else, suspension, quick turn in handling, RT people understand this, spending 3+ hours just to get to the air filter. I soon realized the thrill was gone, so was the bike just 3 months later! Found a 2012 RT with only 1300 miles just over a year ago. Glad to Be back on an RT. One day I'll upgrade to a newer model, but I like my cam-head, nuff said.

J

·
Registered
16 Posts
My beemer RT experience started about 10+ years ago, First with a 2002 R1150RT, the one that started it all, didnt realize what I was missing, loved it! Then a 2007 RT, a 2009 GS (just wasn't an RT), briefly tried a Goldwing. At first loved the smoothness, Honda reliability, but everything else, suspension, quick turn in handling, RT people understand this, spending 3+ hours just to get to the air filter. I soon realized the thrill was gone, so was the bike just 3 months later! Found a 2012 RT with only 1300 miles just over a year ago. Glad to Be back on an RT. One day I'll upgrade to a newer model, but I like my cam-head, nuff said.

J
RE the Honda experience, the near same unexpected labor hassle and expense on a Yamaha :

Good friend in my riding club has a 2018 Star Venture.

Came time for him to replace the rear tire, he has yet to get over the expense, he says was near $400.00, (four hours) labor and tire due to having to disassemble the back half of the bike to do the R & R, removal of bags, top trunk, fender, etc.

Couldn't pass up the OP to tell him the labor at my local dealer om most BMW's was $50.00 front or rear plus the price of the tire.

RR Gary

21 - 27 of 27 Posts