BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For almost 45K miles my rear brakes were somewhat quiet but, they were getting worn so I ordered up those ceramic pads that were popular a few months ago. Just after installing those pads people were starting to complain about the those pads starting to squeal loudly. Well low and behold a couple thou later mine were singing their horrible tune. I refused to put cardboard cereal boxes on my bike. Friday I will be leaving for a little 10K ride and had to fix it first. So, with thinking cap on for the last two days I have come up with a fix suitable for the ultimate crusin machine. I procured a small sheet of micarta. I did not mic it but I eye ball it to be approximately .010-.012 thick. Micarta is a thermoset composite laminate. I cut two pieces to match the outline of the pads and inserted beteen the pads and pistons. I also tighened up the rattle clips(bent) I now have complete silence when braking. I suspect the micarta will last thru several pads. Do not ask me where to get the stuff because I do not know. Mine came from company stock.(Aircraft)

·
Registered
208 Posts
hey

Sounds like maybe I can trade you some cleaner for those nifty little backings. Do they come in other materials :)
Pretty cool not to hear the fat lady sing!
Have a safe trip out there!

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may have some extra for locals, Even the Or locals and wanna be Ken.. But it will have to wait until the last week of sept when I return. unless some one swings by my place in the next evenig or two. Will be busy doing last minute things and packing! Has any one seen my nice warm camping hat?

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
sanjaun2 said:
I may have some extra for locals, Even the Or locals and wanna be Ken.. But it will have to wait until the last week of sept when I return. unless some one swings by my place in the next evenig or two. Will be busy doing last minute things and packing! Has any one seen my nice warm camping hat?
When are you leaving on your trip? I gotta get me some of that aireospace stuff for my mean highway machine. Have you got that route picked yet?

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My route

I am leaving Friday after work. I bought myself a new bike computer! Its a Compaq 1.8 GHZ 512 MB, 100GB with Cd/ DVD R/RW. My other laptop took up to much room. So far my route is like this. I had to reroute to I-90 waymore than I like but I must be on Long Island by thursday. That doesn't give me any slack in case of weather. I will hook you all up when I return and I have done a proper 8-10k trial. And yes I plan on camping as much as I can. But its getting cold in the mountains at night and I can't find my nice warm fleece hat.

Attachments

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
I'm sure we'll hook up once you return. I sure am jealous though. Have a good, no, a great ride. :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
hey Brian

If you need any camping gear let me know.
I have some neat light weight stuff you can use if you wish.

Sounds like good times..
Take it easy
Ian

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ian,
Do you have a 5'3'' blue eyed blond bed warmer you can loan me? Anyway Thanks for the offer I should be alright.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Micarta is a brand name, and they make many different grades. Does it look like laminated paper, or does it have a cloth weave visible in it. I assume it is brown, which is a Phenolic resin laminate. There are paper, cloth, and glass fiber grades, quite sure you don't have glass, that would not be good. Glass laminates are usually off white or green, but have seen them in black and blue.

Several companies make this, and McMaster Carr has the Garolite brand, all we need to do is determine which type it is.

A very close substance to the paper grades of Micarta is Formica counter topping. That would probably work too.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
David,
We have so many different types lying around I really didn't look that closely. I assumed they were all of simular construction. The stuff I have access to is Brown and comes in varying thickness from .010 to 2.0 inches. I have used a piece outside in a marine enviroment for about 12 years now and its still flawless. It almost looks like a very fine matt on the inside. I have been told it heat resistant.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts