BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This question was form Dry Rider, "Have you dropped your LT?"

Please see the separate Poll Thread and let us know. It's anonymous!!;)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
.... well yes, but maybe, thereagain no ....

In the first week, it decided to stop sitting on it's centre stand, and lie down and have a rest - I was not even on it at the time (LHS). The second time was out in Italy, when a kid, after he was called by his parents, dashed out from behind a car, in a car park, straight in front of me. To save getting any nasty red staining :eek: on the bike, I laid. it down, trial bike style (RHS)...

·
Registered
182 Posts
It wasn't my fault either

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Not yet, (purchased in March added 11K miles)
:)

shoot just jinxed it.
:(

·
Registered
30 Posts
I laid it down leaving the dealership after purchase. There was a truck blocking my view of the street, and I had to make a sharp turn out of the parking place. I slipped the clutch to get out with the wheel turned, and as soon as I could see past the truck I see I am about to be eaten by a car. Laid it down to avoid that. I was so embarrassed I picked it up like it weighed 30 lbs! Luckily it taught me a lesson without any real harm.

·
Registered
362 Posts
BillyOmaha said:
This question was form Dry Rider, "Have you dropped your LT?"

Please see the separate Poll Thread and let us know. It's anonymous!!;)

Would you belive I dropped mine 3 times in 5½ years
First time first day !!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Not only dropped - but I've spun 'er on her side.

Last drop was while trying to turn around in a werid parking lot. Steep and various angles. I'd parked once, side stand down and the bike was past vertical AWAY from the side stand. Decided to do the ol 180 and try again. Missed something, she went down on the left side, facing uphill and as I set 'er down I made the damn fool mistake of twisting the throttle. In first gear the rear caught just enough to spin 'er on the J-peg. Thought I'd run over myself.

Thankfully, only damage was the front, lower edge of the j-peg. about 2 inches worth look like it's been through a car shredder. Amazingly, not a scratch anywhere else. No idea how I pulled that off.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Right side

Dropped it about 3 weeks from purchase date in driveway while getting ready for a ride..In front of the whole neighborhood!! Muscled it back up using prescribed technique..Managed a smile to everyone as I rode off in a cloud of embarrassment!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
At Road Atlanta in the parking lot during the AMA races. I was stuffing my coat in the top box while exerting a moderate forward pressure and the bike was on the side stand and in neutral :'(( . It just went over very gently and quietly in front of a Yamaha rider who was watching the whole thing. More mad with myself than embarassed. It was stupid.

I did it one other time in Wyoming this year on Casper Mountain Road where I should not have been. I will try to attach a picture. It wasn't pretty. But at least I now have that part of my LT life done with.

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
Put center stand down on some large rocks, got off and it fell over. No damage as it fell on the grass. Lucky. At least for a month or so. Stopped at an intersection turned around to ask wife something before a complete stop, and you know the rest of the story. I never look anywhere but straight ahead when stopping now. No problems so far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think the better question would be: "who HASN'T dropped their LT?"
Unfortunately for me, 2 summers, 2 drops, both on left side (rolled off the kickstand - I knew better than to leave it in netural) and the right - parking lot with lots of sand on it.

Heart sinks, swear words emerge...but I think it happens to most of us.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Jim, that right there is my backyard. The house here is less than 5 miles staright line from that photo. That area across the valley there is often called "Muddy Mountain".

When was that? I find out you been here in town with an LT and I didn't get to buy ya a cuppa - well, boyo.... <g>

And I gotta agree. Off-pavement is not one of the LT's strong point.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Twice

Third day of ownership. Bike on side stand, heavy buddy got on as passenger, momentum took over, fell over on right side. Lucky no scratches.
Seventh day - hadn't figured out how reverse worked (no manual, no knowlege, no nothing). Was walking the beast backwards out of the garage, when the rear tire droped of entrance ramp, everything started going over to the right, couldn't hold it. Some lunkhead, I'm not admitting anything, forgot to raise the sidestand.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Zotter,

Prolly the morning of June 1st. There was snow at the top and was just wet as I went down the other side from Casper. My GPS didn't tell me that the road wasn't that good!! The weather going up the mountain was nice as you can see from the picture. I was heading to Saratoga to go fishing on the North Platte.

The Sheriff's deputy that helped get the beast uprighted was really nice. Her name was Cathi Potter.

What was really cool was that my cell phone didn't have service, but on a lark I tried 911 and I got the Natrona County dispatcher. I would recommend that anyone in a fix where there cell doesn't seem to have service to try 911 anyway.

Thanks for the offer of coffee. I will be coming through there next year sometime and let you know. I will prolly be in a better mood to accept coffee than I would have been in June.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks to God and the long legs of my wife, who was on the back when I came the closest to dropping, I haven't yet. Once I learned, DON'T have the wheel turned at a stop...hasn't even come close to falling over.

Now that I've said that, watch me drop it today.

Keith

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Scottie said:
I think the better question would be: "who HASN'T dropped their LT?"
Unfortunately for me, 2 summers, 2 drops, both on left side (rolled off the kickstand - I knew better than to leave it in netural) and the right - parking lot with lots of sand on it.

Heart sinks, swear words emerge...but I think it happens to most of us.
Actoolly Scottie, You would be incorrect. I dropped mine the first weekend I got over a year an a half ago. I also dropped it two weeks ago when I was trying to get turned around in a Motorcycle Only parking area and applied the front brake with front wheel turned. :eek: So, I figure the above survey works just fine.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Jim, know what ya mean by the maps not tellig the whole story there. Gets quite a few.

On your way to saratoga, I assume you took 130 over the Snowies? Through Centenial. One of my favorite runs down there. I used to live in Larame and run over to a cafe for lunch about half way down the West side. Occasionaly me and the wife would take the rest of the day and enjoy the hot springs in Saratoga.

I know the name of that deputy - don't know her myself. Locals LEOs are pretty helpful if you're the initiating contact.

Look forward to sharing a brew someday. If ya need - there's also 'transient billets' for LT pilots availabe at Cassa de Zot.

Shiney side up!
Tate

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Nope

20k, and no drops. Of course, I am 6'4, 245, and long legged..

1 - 20 of 62 Posts