BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Have I dropped an LT? We're only talking about the LT.

• Yes, I have dropped a K1200LT

Votes: 221 73.4%
  • No, I haven't dropped a K1200LT... yet

Votes: 80 26.6%
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dry Rider wanted to know and I'm curious myself what the percentages are.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Might be a more manageable number if you count those who haven't. The only problem there is figuring out what percentage of that group are not telling the truth.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Another thought, of the ones telling the truth you need to look at how long they have owned the bike and if you exclude newbies(however you want to define newbie) assume they just haven't had the bike long enough, then you can conclude the rest are fibbing.

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anemic poll

docwagner said:
Another thought, of the ones telling the truth you need to look at how long they have owned the bike and if you exclude newbies(however you want to define newbie) assume they just haven't had the bike long enough, then you can conclude the rest are fibbing.
You know Doc, that's the trouble with polls. :rolleyes: They are very limited in terms of the contextual details. I did think about some of the things you mention, but I'm still learning my way around the new website and thought keeping it simple would give us something useful and quick.:cool:

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I've come close a couple of times, but not dropped it yet. My buddy Steve dropped his 04, 3 times and his 05 once, so he's doing all the dropping for the both of us.

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
myk_edwards said:
I've come close a couple of times, but not dropped it yet.
Good point. Perhaps add another selection: How many times have you come close to dropping it and wrenched your back stopping it?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Does throwing it down count ?

I've dropped mine three times.

One of those times was after a 650 mile day. Pulled up into the parking lot of a motel, got off, threw it over onto the sidestand....wait I didn't put the sidestand down !! That had to be the most embarassing time.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yup, dropped my '03 and joined that famous DA club. My first thought was the separation of years....since the '05 suspension has been redesigned are they less likely to be dropped?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dropped LT

I've had my 99LT since January. I dropped it twice in the first month of ownership. I'm very very careful now. My previous tourer was a 1986 Honda Goldwing Interstate. I had that bike 15 years, and I NEVER dropped it once.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I wish you would delete the "yet" from the survey. I have never dropped an LT and it will NOT ever happen.

Believe it or not, we have the same percentage of droppers as the Gold Wing bunch! There are people in both camps that have never dropped the big beasts!!!!

I would like to see a survey on who has actually CRASHED an LT....maybe we could learn from it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Dropped mine first time within the first 3 hours of ownership (taking it off the centerstand). Next drop was more of a "knock over"...trying to back my truck out between the LT (behind me) and my wife's truck (in front of me). Truck bumped the LT, knocking it off the centerstand and laying it over. "Luckily" my VFR parked next to it broke the fall (doh!).

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Not "If" but "When"!

I wholeheartedly believe that anyone who brags about never dropping their LT is only setting themselves up for embarrassment later on.

It is the only Bike I have dropped in over 35 years of riding and I have dropped my LT at least three times. But not lately!

John

·
Registered
697 Posts
I " had some trouble" getting turned around in a sand parking lot by the beach in Sanibel Island a few years ago 2 up...... :eek:

·
Registered
749 Posts
I was always very careful to leave it in 1st gear when on the kick stand and always watched were I parked it. I made sure there was enough room when making a U turn. Dropped her in my driveway taking her off the center stand the way BMW tells us in the owner's manual. I learned. Thank goodness no damage!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yup

Day after I bought her. Parked with side stand on a slight decline to show off to the neighbor. I managed to go a year with my 83 R100RT with never dropping it once, but, bring home a new one and immediately break it in. I ordered the side strips and it covered the scratches on the side bad chrome strips just fine. I have 3 "tips" to date and have managed to pick it up without any witnesses on the later 2. Great design by BMW with side protection. :D

·
Registered
807 Posts
dropped her?

Once in my own garage, side stand not fully deployed.
Once at the health club, same error.
Once backing up with SO on the back! Ouch.

All 3 in the first 1,000 miles.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
fas said:
Once backing up with SO on the back! Ouch.
How big a dent did you get you helmet from that one?? ;) :D

1 - 20 of 83 Posts