BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have hopes that the inline 6 cylinder engine will be smooth enough not to bother my arthritis, which does not tolerate vibration much at all. I was wondering if anyone has anyone sat on a running K1600 GTL or GT and can you remember feeling any vibration at the foot pegs or handlebars? I sat on a running inline 4 cylinder K1300 GT in the BMW showroom the other day, and it felt fine except for the vibration at the foot pegs. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jim. I have seen that before, and I agree that it sounds very smooth. I hope that is the case.

Allen

·
Registered
368 Posts
Funny this was brought up today....I watched the Leno video several times today
specifically looking for exhaust/tank/handlebar/mirror shake when Jay revved it
multiple times. Looked like a BMW straight 6 to me!!!!. The Germans have
a way of making their vehicles feel like they were made from a single piece
of metal.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
The crank throws, counterweights and masses are just about perfectly arrayed for primary, secondary and even tertiary balance. The K75 triple as renowned as one of the smoothest engines BMW ever made; the K16 is two K75's end to end. The Jay Leno video appears to confirm the theory - a K12 rev'd in the same way would have shown visible high frequency vibes. :thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I notice some high frequency vibration in the handlebars. I have nerve damage in my hands and that makes me more sensitive to such vibration. It's tolerable for the most part, but I plan to buy some gel gloves or some gel grips. That should be enough to fix the issue. For what it's worth, my son is not a diabetic, and he said his hands got numb after a 25 minute ride. I noticed less of a buzz on the R1200RT, but chose the 16 due to the extra weight and the fun factor.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Solve the problem and take one for a test drive. Life is short.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Solve the problem and take one for a test drive. Life is short.
I almost replied also until I saw the date on the thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts