BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 1200LT and the seat is horrible. Has anyone taken the seat to an auto uphostery shop to try to make it more comfortable, by perhaps removing some of the padding right in the areas where it hurts so much?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I haven't modified the LT seat but I have modified the seats of two other bikes by taking the seat to an upholstery shop and replacing the foam with better, higher density foam. For me the stock LT seat was very uncomfortable, so, I purchased a custom seat with firmer foam. You could accomplish the same by replacing the LT seat's foam with better foam from an automobile upholsterer. I was very pleased with the results of the firmer foam on my two other bikes and the cost was much less than I spent on the custom seat for the LT.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have modded my Honda VTX seat. I bought boot leather off ebay and then a Gel pad from JC whitney. I shaved the seat cut in a hole for the gel and glued a cotton fabric back over the top with 3m glue.

The upholsterer did the rest.

What a great seat the gel and leather have taken the pain away.

My bottom was sore from the get go after a 35 minute ride now I can sit on it all day no problem.

I am a firm believer in GEL.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2007056/c-10101/Nty-1/p-2007056/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10101/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=gel+seat

Ian

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
coug66 said:
I am a firm believer in GEL.
Ian
I carry a gel pad in my saddle bag for longer trips,
I also have a Rick Mayer seat on the LT but it is only good for a couple hundred miles,
now I love my gel pad but as for putting it permanently inside your seat, :eek:
you might be able to get away with that in Washington but don't try it in the Southern states,
Gel left out in the sun (or microwaved) will get hot enough to "burn your Ass"
and will maintain it's temperature for nearly an hour.
I like to put my gel pad inside my cooler which will keep my precious posterior cool for a good hour.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Yes...

I did have a local auto upholstery shop re-work my seat and it is great. I took them several clear, large photos of seats I thought looked comfortable and they did it for about $275.00. They used several types of foam and recovered the entire drivers section for this price. It is very comfortable. No more problems...photos attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Funny, I never thought about the hot and cold issue.

Never noticed it. :confused:

I have real boot leather which is pretty thick and one of the features of the seat is it always stays comfortable even on hot days.

It really doesn't get that cold either?

Perhaps its not the gel in the seat but the gel in my ass which controls the temperature so well ;) ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts