BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, anyone here went from the R to the RT or the other way - RT to the R and the reasons why?

THANKS,
08RT

·
Registered
40 Posts
I went from a 2007 R1200R (Had it for 2 years and was my first motorcycle) to a brand new 2011 R1200RT and I love the new RT. Better wind/weather protection and IMHO handles just as well...no regrets whatsoever! :)

Dave

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I owned 2 R1150R's and tried a R1100RT. Really sealed the deal as stated before, better wind protection. I like having the electric windscreen and CC is a plus for the long hauls. Living in a cold climate makes it a better winter steed. The handling was better on the R's, but when I got my 08'RT it was even better. I liked all my bikes, but the newer the better.(usually) :bmw:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
For practical purposes, the R1200R is an "RT-Lite". Essentially the same drive line without the plastic fairing, and 80 pounds lighter. Both handle great. For a lot of riders the major difference is that the RT tends to be too hot in the summers because the weather protection is so good. The other consideration is that the price point on the R is such that after you add all the farkles (windscreen, bags-same as the RT, etc.) you end up with the cost of the RT anyway, less the electronic cruise control.

I love my R, but had I known the cost of getting it right, I would have sprung for the RT initially. Given that it took me 3 years of playing with the R to get it perfectly dialed in, I am not really in the market for an RT or anything, and the only real change on the drawing board right now is probably a suspension upgrade as the stock shocks are getting worn now after 22,000 miles.

The R is probably the most versatile bike that BMW builds but does not market well, which is sad.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I did...

Had a R1100Rand ended up with my current R1200RT.

I really liked the R... easy to clean, easy to work on. Lighter. but also dirtier, less weather protection, more sporty, or said differently- if you want to tour the RT is friendlier.

I like the RT.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I went from an '02 RS to an '06 RT. Why? Better ergonomics for me and the SO and a touch more toward the touring than the sport style of riding.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Went from an '01 Midnight Black R to an '09 Sapphire Black RT. Two reasons: 1. For the wife's comfort; and, 2. For more retirement travelling. Still breaking in the RT getting ready for 2012 freedom from the workforce.
Don
P.S. Both perform like swiss watches! Haven't been let down yet.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I have an 07 RT, but if I could have it both ways, I would love to have the R for an urban, kick it around town bike and the RT for my multi day rides. Just not enough room in the garage for another bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My first bike is my 02 - R1150R which I bought used in early 2007. I've since added an 05 - R1200RT to the garage.

The RT is faster, smoother, quieter, heavier, taller. I use it when it is very cold or very hot, or when 2 up touring.

The R is more nimble , louder and much more exposed (only the little bug screen). For me, it is simply much more fun to ride, especially for long distances. A 600 mile day is fine on the R. 400 is the limit on the RT.

If I could only keep one, it would be the R.

-mc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts