BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing more maddening then to get up to the office only to be told the parking lights are on. I've managed to do this several times now and would really like to avoid killing the battery and be left stranded.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Sorry for your problem with turning the key PAST OFF!

I've had my LT for almost 5 years and 106,000 miles and have never turned on the parking lights.

Maybe your ignition is different than my "03 LT. Mine has a definate feel in the OFF position. Good luck.

Just saying.

Vern :bmw:

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Unplug the bulb?
When I first got my LT I found it helpful to intentionally turn the key to the 'park' position, then back to 'off' (whatever BMW labels them).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have done this a few times myself. I solved the problem with a "Sharpie" marker. A small dot on the fairing that indicates the off position when the key points to it is an easy fix.
Good Luck!
HARFEND

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
simoncharles said:
Not only the LT, other BMW´s have the same foible.
LOL its bloody damn irritating.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I finally got in the habit of looking at the bike as I walk away from it to make sure the little goofy bulb in the front or the tail light is not lit. Whichever end is looking at you as you walk away.

Left the P lights on 2 times at work but people let me know both times. Not a lot of folks at the hospital ride purple BMW's!

Loren

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wa1200lt said:
I finally got in the habit of looking at the bike as I walk away from it to make sure the little goofy bulb in the front or the tail light is not lit. Whichever end is looking at you as you walk away.

Left the P lights on 2 times at work but people let me know both times. Not a lot of folks at the hospital ride purple BMW's!

Loren
Ya most the time I do, for whatever reason this oh dark thirty I didn't. I've gotten lucky on several occasions that I've turned it to far co-workers have told me the lights are on.

LOL ya Purple BMW at a hospital would be an eye catcher.

Think what I'm going to do is mount something so it block's that position I was just hoping someone had already solved the issue.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Kra961 said:
Nothing more maddening then to get up to the office only to be told the parking lights are on. I've managed to do this several times now and would really like to avoid killing the battery and be left stranded.
Your battery should EASILY be able to support both lamps for at least 12 hours with no problem. If you converted to LED's you could probably go for days. When I camp I leave mine on from dusk until bedtime so I can scare the bears away. :D

It's pretty much a tell tale sign that your bat isn't up to snuff - and will probably leave you stranded. (again) :eek:

Plug it into a smart trickle charger every night if you aren't putting some serious miles on the bike when you ride it. A decent charger will run about $50.00 - but you'll save a lot coin on new batteries that will more than pay for it over the years.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Ron

Ya I've got the charger and its on it every night the Bike get's 50 miles a day. I like the idea of moving to Led's I'll check into that awesome idea.

·
Registered
509 Posts
This has bitten me a few times too. I just got into the habit of turning it all the way and locking the steering each time.

·
Registered
191 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Your battery should EASILY be able to support both lamps for at least 12 hours with no problem. If you converted to LED's you could probably go for days.
Does anyone have source or nomenclature for the proper LEDs? I've left mne on before to and would like some insurance.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Toolman said:
This has bitten me a few times too. I just got into the habit of turning it all the way and locking the steering each time.
This is what I do also. Plus I wouldn't recommend taking the parking light out. A couple of months ago both hi & low beams went out on me do to a grounding problem. The little parking light allowed me enough light to see the white line on the side of the road to get home. Wasn't pretty, but I made it. Only about 15 miles. That won't happen again. Fixed the original ground, plus ran a heavier wire from the battery to the clip as a secondary backup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts