BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's the bulk of what I'm wondering. I took delivery of my 2020 R1250RT on 11Sep2020, and it's been 100% radio silence from BMW. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised that there's no "Welcome to BMW!" letter or email like pretty much every other manufacturer provides, but am kinda surprised that I had to go to the BMW website myself (unprompted) to enter my VIN and find that yes, I am to have my front calipers checked even though the local dealer told me this winter that "it's not showing any issues in the database" (even with their R1250RS on stop sale). And the website to check the VIN is auto based, so doesn't recognize a bike VIN to register to receive automatic updates and such.
Am I just feeling ignored in an isolated incident, or is this combined with the issues everyone seems to be experiencing trying to get a 2021 indicative of a manufacturer who simply gives zero f_cks about their customers?

·
Premium Member
2020 R1250RT Alpine White
113 Posts
I picked up my 2020 R1250 in August last year and have received mail from BMW and a recall letter re: the front calipers. I would recommend you check with your dealer to make sure your proper mailing address is showing in their database.

Good luck,
Larry

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Larry. The dealer says my correct info is in the system. Maybe I'm just being too fussy thinking manufacturers want to be sure their customers are looked after lol 😊

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Thanks Larry. The dealer says my correct info is in the system. Maybe I'm just being too fussy thinking manufacturers want to be sure their customers are looked after lol 😊
This BMW Recall page wil tell you if your bike is on the list, and if it is I would recommend that you call the BMW Hotline shown and let them know that you haven’t received a letter and want to register a complaint with the NHTSA. I’m pretty confident that will get them a bit more motivated. Let them know that your dealer isn’t helping, they will definitely get that feedback to the proper folks.

Larry

·
Premium Member
7,688 Posts
It sounds like this is your first BMW. You will get used to being ignored by BMW after a couple years. 😂

·
Registered
'18 R1200RT, '18 Abarth 124 Spider, '87 VFR 400R & an everyday sedan.
180 Posts
It sounds like this is your first BMW. You will get used to being ignored by BMW after a couple years. 😂
Yes, you didn't actually think spending in excess of $20,000 would mean you'd get helpful attention. Ducati offers similar customer attention and assistance. Both were quite a change from my experience with my Honda Goldwing. Mind, I really like my RT, as I did my Duc. It's the manufacturer behavior I find disappointing.

Reactions: YXEBears

·
Cat Herder
1,548 Posts
Who knows what the Canadian dealers do with your info. My friend just got a letter from BMW stating there is a recall on the fuel pumps for the 2013 RT's... He paid $600 to have the cracked pump replaced a year or so ago and now BMW has to give him his $600 back and put in the newest pump. So you might have to wait until something goes wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Greetings, I bought a 2008 RT last year, 48,000 kilometers on the clock, much to my surprise I received a letter from BMW Canada about the recall of the fuel pump - they came picked the bike up (winter time) replaced the pump and returned the bike - no charge. I was surprised given the age of the bike and that I am the 3 owner. Can't speak to the welcoming from BMW upon the purchased of a new BMW - which won't happen on my end. My neighbour purchased a new 2021 RT in the fall, still waiting for delivery, I will ask him if he receives anything from BMW - besides the bike.

Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's the bulk of what I'm wondering. I took delivery of my 2020 R1250RT on 11Sep2020, and it's been 100% radio silence from BMW. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised that there's no "Welcome to BMW!" letter or email like pretty much every other manufacturer provides, but am kinda surprised that I had to go to the BMW website myself (unprompted) to enter my VIN and find that yes, I am to have my front calipers checked even though the local dealer told me this winter that "it's not showing any issues in the database" (even with their R1250RS on stop sale). And the website to check the VIN is auto based, so doesn't recognize a bike VIN to register to receive automatic updates and such.
Am I just feeling ignored in an isolated incident, or is this combined with the issues everyone seems to be experiencing trying to get a 2021 indicative of a manufacturer who simply gives zero f_cks about their customers?
I did receive a notice about the weeping brake calipers, contacted my dealer about replacement as mine were showing the tell-tale sign. After some conversation dealer told me some are showing this weeping some are not. When I asked if replacements were in stock, was told no, this issue is being handled case by case, new calipers of my bike would be ordered, ant that this was how BMW was handling it.
The new calipers, (labeled Brembo vs BMW, (made by Hayes)) arrived calipers were replaced, all is well now.
RRGary

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update- I got tired of the local dealer insisting they had given BMW my correct info, given that at the time of purchase they had an address I had not lived at for 15+ years. Called BMW, lo and behold, that was the address the dealer provided. Updated at BMW, gave the dealer heck. Spoke to the service department about the recall (first step of course being inspection to determine if they will in fact be replacing the calipers- surprisingly (or maybe not) they are saying Nissin or Brembo might be the replacement.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Update- I got tired of the local dealer insisting they had given BMW my correct info, given that at the time of purchase they had an address I had not lived at for 15+ years. Called BMW, lo and behold, that was the address the dealer provided. Updated at BMW, gave the dealer heck. Spoke to the service department about the recall (first step of course being inspection to determine if they will in fact be replacing the calipers- surprisingly (or maybe not) they are saying Nissin or Brembo might be the replacement.
Good to hear you got it resolved Bears! My dealer (MAX NH) also has calipers on order for my bike but I haven't noticed any weeping or loss of fluid anywhere.

Larry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts