BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen the Spiegler praise here time and again, but the price difference is substantial.

Who here has installed the Galfer brake line kit in a 1999 LT? how was the fit/alignment of the Banjo fittings??

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I have seen the Spiegler praise here time and again, but the price difference is substantial.

Who here has installed the Galfer brake line kit in a 1999 LT? how was the fit/alignment of the Banjo fittings??

Thanks for the feedback!
I used the Spiegler but I am sure the Galfer are just fine. Anything to get rid of the OEM lines waiting to burst when you need them most. I have heard people using both on this forum with no bad experiences that I recall. The only difference I recall is the Galfer use hex head banjo bolts versus the internal allen type.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I used the Spiegler but I am sure the Galfer are just fine. Anything to get rid of the OEM lines waiting to burst when you need them most. I have heard people using both on this forum with no bad experiences that I recall. The only difference I recall is the Galfer use hex head banjo bolts versus the internal allen type.
Is that true (that there's no difference)? I had always thought that the Spiegler banjo can be rotated and the Galfer can't. Can make a big difference in keeping the line from twisting. But maybe I'm totally wrong. Anybody know?

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Is that true (that there's no difference)? I had always thought that the Spiegler banjo can be rotated and the Galfer can't. Can make a big difference in keeping the line from twisting. But maybe I'm totally wrong. Anybody know?
You know, I didn't think about that functionality. Yes, the spiegler lines do " rotate " on the banjo bolt shaft. I have no idea about the Galfer. If assembled properly, it would not be of much concern but then again, every work week has a Monday :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I just ordered them and as of now have just installed front 3. Will do the rest next plastic removal. Seems to be a quality product and fit was perfect. Has all new fittings and washers. I'm very happy with my purchase. I ordered black.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You know, I didn't think about that functionality. Yes, the spiegler lines do " rotate " on the banjo bolt shaft. I have no idea about the Galfer. If assembled properly, it would not be of much concern but then again, every work week has a Monday :)
Actually, it can be a problem sometimes. I ordered a set of non-rotating brake lines for a BMW GS project I was doing a couple of years ago. All the lines installed perfectly except for the one going to the left front caliper. No matter how I tried, that line could not be installed without kinking the line. Ended up having to ship it back with instructions about where the two banjo bolts needed to be in relation to each other.

Last year when I replaced the lines on my 2007 LT, I bought Spieglers. :)

Note, I'm still not saying the Galfers don't rotate, but there's a little voice in my head whispering I'm right.

Reactions: bruce60

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
No matter how I tried, that line could not be installed without kinking the line. Ended up having to ship it back with instructions about where the two banjo bolts needed to be in relation to each other.
That would be covered under my statement of " assembled properly" :grin:

·
Registered
66 Posts
When I put Spieglers on my GS there was an issue with length on one of the hoses. I called them and sent them comparison photos of old and new side by side. It turned out my bike was a midyear change they didn't know about, but they overnighted the correct hose once they knew the issue. They handled it so well I will be a Spiegler customer every time I have the choice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I used Galfers last year on my 2000 LT. No problems. The banjos did not rotate on the ends, but I had no issues as I was able to just slightly twist any line that didn't perfectly align by itself. They were very close to what you'd choose to set them at. About $200 CAD, but I forget if that included delivery.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AAAARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH

Half way into the Galfer brake line install on my '99 I found the front master line way different than mine... It looks like I got brake lines for a 2005 model.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
That one should work as there is no difference up front on the bikes from 99 to 2009. It just looks different from the stock hose.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
That one should work as there is no difference up front on the bikes from 99 to 2009. It just looks different from the stock hose.
I am not sure, John. It is a little hard to tell from the picture given the background (should always use a uniform light colored background for parts like this), but it does look to me as though the taper is quite a bit different. It is a much shorter sealing surface and the angle looks like it is different as well, but again it is hard to tell with that mottled background. I guess it can always be tried to see if it seals, but I would have some concern about damaging the seat such that the correct connector will then not seal either if this one fails to seal and must be replaced.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are closer pictures of the problems I see so far (I have not removed the rear master yet):

The front master line has a different fitting, the Galfer is tapered, the BMW line is flat. Call me crazy, I would like an exact match.

The rear caliper line is too short and the banjo is 90 degrees off, no way to make it bolt up. No way.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Here are closer pictures of the problems I see so far (I have not removed the rear master yet):

The front master line has a different fitting, the Galfer is tapered, the BMW line is flat. Call me crazy, I would like an exact match.

The rear caliper line is too short and the banjo is 90 degrees off, no way to make it bolt up. No way.
It almost looks like you have the factory bleed fitting still on the line. I see two hex nuts on the line. Have you tried to screw the one hex nut off the other one?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, this is the fitting end that screws into a bulkhead fitting to the right of the upper headset bearing, the other end connects to the front master cyl (right hand lever) the fitting is different.

The rear line will never reach... waiting for the seller to get back to me tomorrow.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
I still think that this will work as this is what I had for an existing front hose on my 05. The second shot (although a bypass) is the speigler hose and it looks that same as the galfer. But I agree the rear is not going to fly.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The seller is giving me pushback, saying I am doing something wrong because he claims to have sold 4 sets with no problems.

The seller is advertising the Galfer lines as fitting 1999-2004 K1200LT. They do not fit my 1999.

When does the ABS or other changes take effect?

the Spiegler website says the 1998-2001 use the same lines. #S-BM0140

Hoping for some experience here.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The seller is giving me pushback, saying I am doing something wrong because he claims to have sold 4 sets with no problems.

The seller is advertising the lines as fitting 1999-2004 K1200LT. They do not fit my 1999.

When does the ABS or other changes take effect?

the Spiegler website says the 1998-2001 use the same lines. #S-BM0140

Hoping for some experience here.
MAX-BMW parts fiche shows a change in 03/01 (meaning MARCH 2001) for both USA models and Europe models (includes Canada). However, this needs a bit of interpretation as we know most of these USA bound K1200LT produced after March 2001 at factory, were in fact sold as 2002 models in USA (this is where they started with servo brakes).

ALSO, if you seller is based in Europe, we will probably believe the changeover was for 2001 models - this is correct for most Europe bound K1200LT.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
This is the routing and a picture of the line for 99-03/03. Looks like your rear line will not bend like the stock line at the front banjo.

Attachments

Reactions: bruce60 and sailor

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Success.

I was contacted by Donny, the rep from Galfer with tips on turning the banjo on the rear caliper line, problem solved. He also said the different fitting for the front master would seal and function, he was right.

So all the lines are installed, the clutch and brakes are bled with fresh fluid, all is nearly well....

I removed the XM radio mount from the clutch master cover, now I need the 4 original phillips head screws, the allen screws that held the xm mount are too long and not the right shape with the mount removed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts