BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have read lots of posts on the ABS module, my horse is down, beaten but not dead yet....Has anybody actually found a company to rebuild these? I see links to companies, but I also see as many links saying that the company is a rip-off and the rebuild was a scam.

If they can't be rebuilt, I need a used one, or best price for new one. Please reply with links.
Thanks,

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
:corn:

It's just a mechanism... It was built, So it can be rebuilt.... The question is how do you go about doing it....

Perhaps a long and picture filled post of a tear down and rebuild is in order.....

I too have "heard" they can be repaired...But don't know anyone who's had it done...

Good Luck

John

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,248 Posts
More sucess in the ABS II units with a dissassemble, clean and reassemble. No one has done an I ABS unit. Biggest problem is sourceing parts for something that was not designed to be re-built (by BMW so no parts layed in).

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I looked up the link provided and while looking through their FAQ section I discovered the following entry:

5. Can I still drive my car or truck after I send the EBCM to ModuleMaster?
Yes. All ABS systems are designed so that the solenoid valves in the ABS brake manifold are in safety "bypass" mode when powered down or when the ABS control module has been removed. You will have standard everyday power brakes no different than brakes built without the ABS system.

John Z, is this true of the integrated brake system or is the LT different? Good news for sure if it is true.

Loren

on_jon98042 said:
I have heard good things about this small company in Idaho.. http://www.modulemaster.com/en/index.php

·
Registered
19 Posts
kind of true.
if you pull the computer off the pump, the bike runs fine.
you will not have brake lights, speedometer, or cruse. may not even be able to operate windscreen.
not to mention how scary the residual brakes are even when you expect it.

the module masters didn't mention ability to do any motorcycles. additionally, our pumps are twice the complexity of a car due to having 2 control circuits.

good question. note that i am talking about iabs and not abs2. original poster didn't mention.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I emailed Module Master this morning to ask about our ABS modules........................

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,248 Posts
wa1200lt said:
I looked up the link provided and while looking through their FAQ section I discovered the following entry:

5. Can I still drive my car or truck after I send the EBCM to ModuleMaster? Yes. All ABS systems are designed so that the solenoid valves in the ABS brake manifold are in safety "bypass" mode when powered down or when the ABS control module has been removed. You will have standard everyday power brakes no different than brakes built without the ABS system.

John Z, is this true of the integrated brake system or is the LT different? Good news for sure if it is true.

Loren
No Loren. We do not have a separate ABS unit from our power assisted unit it is all in one package and what T25 said is true you just can't pull it out of the bike and have everything else work.

The ABS II units are just an ABS unit that CAN be safely removed. No power assist.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I did email modulemaster...reply follows:::

Hi Allan,

We've had mixed results with ABS1. It's a strange system with even stranger problems. ABS2 repairs have been far more successful. We're in the process of manufacturing a repair kit for the pistons on that module. Do you have any faulty core units hanging around? I'd be happy to attempt repairing those if you're interested. Best regards,

Tyler
Module Master / Circuit Solutions

·
Registered
426 Posts
STARFIGHTER said:

Hi Allan,

We've had mixed results with ABS1. It's a strange system with even stranger problems. ABS2 repairs have been far more successful. We're in the process of manufacturing a repair kit for the pistons on that module. Do you have any faulty core units hanging around? I'd be happy to attempt repairing those if you're interested. Best regards,

Tyler
If someone has a faulty core around for them to really tear into, this may me a good deal. They did a control module for our old VW Passat a while back and it came back on time, on price and worked like a charm.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I have a bad ?? 2000 LT ABS unit that I have not had the time to open-up. If you would like it to rebuild or analyze it's yours for the shipping.

·
Registered
261 Posts
STARFIGHTER said:

Hi Allan,

Tyler

starfighter --

i have an ABSII unit sitting under my workbench.

pardon me for being self interested, but considering i spent 1800+ $$ on the replacement unit, and 20+ hours doing the replacement myself (brake lines ruptured during the bleed out) i'd kind of like to extract any residual value i can out of this unit.

heck, given current economic conditions, since i suspect i'll own this bike until either i die or the bike dies, having a ready replacement couldn't hurt, either.

can you share tyler's contact info with me and we'll see what kind of commercial arrangement we're talking about?

best case is you get the value of whatever experience he gains for free -- or i end up selling you my unit.

if you do a search on my username, you'll see that i spent a great deal of time trying to find qualified companies to do these rebuilds, with lots of resources and information sunk and 0 success.

to date - i personally have had no direct contact with anyone who has successfully rebuilt and BMW motorcycle ABS II unit.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
[email protected]
Hope it works out for you..................
Would be nice to have rebuilt units circulating around...............

·
Registered
15 Posts
ABS units are not re-buildable. The major manufacturers of these units don't do it - Continental, Bosch, TRW etc. Buy new, or a good used one. Your brakes are important!

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
bigjon said:
ABS units are not re-buildable. The major manufacturers of these units don't do it - Continental, Bosch, TRW etc. Buy new, or a good used one. Your brakes are important!
What evidence do you have that these units can't be rebuilt? The fact that the major manufactuers don't rebuild them is not evidence that they can't be rebuilt. It is likely an economic decision more than anything else. I would be curious to know if there really is a technical reason that these units CAN'T be rebuilt, but I rather seriously doubt that this is the case.

·
Registered
15 Posts
ABS Module cannot be rebuilt?

Basically, ABS modules are made up of two units, the hydraulic control unit and the electronic control unit. The hydraulic control unit is not serviceable because of blind passages that are drilled and plugged. The electronic control unit could have some suspect components replaced, but how would it be sealed and tested? The testing of the electronic control unit is extensive and specific to its operating parameters (time, temperature, etc). Our BMW ABS system works to prevent our wheels from locking up on extreme braking situations when safety means everything.

Currently, I am a quality engineer for an ABS manufacturer and have worked in automotive quality for over 43 years. Taking a short cut to save a few bucks on a very important safety system is a mistake.

Yes, there are people out there that will fix anything for a buck. They will even fix your ABS electronic control unit. But, how do they seal it and test it, to see that it performs as intended at that critical moment? Look on the internet they are there.

ABS manufacturers don’t repair sealed units because of costs? You bet, mainly because of costly product liability issues. It’s your life, your choice; choose wisely.

Sincerely,

Big Jon :bmw:

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
bigjon said:
ABS Module cannot be rebuilt?

Basically, ABS modules are made up of two units, the hydraulic control unit and the electronic control unit. The hydraulic control unit is not serviceable because of blind passages that are drilled and plugged. The electronic control unit could have some suspect components replaced, but how would it be sealed and tested? The testing of the electronic control unit is extensive and specific to its operating parameters (time, temperature, etc). Our BMW ABS system works to prevent our wheels from locking up on extreme braking situations when safety means everything.

Currently, I am a quality engineer for an ABS manufacturer and have worked in automotive quality for over 43 years. Taking a short cut to save a few bucks on a very important safety system is a mistake.

Yes, there are people out there that will fix anything for a buck. They will even fix your ABS electronic control unit. But, how do they seal it and test it, to see that it performs as intended at that critical moment? Look on the internet they are there.

ABS manufacturers don’t repair sealed units because of costs? You bet, mainly because of costly product liability issues. It’s your life, your choice; choose wisely.

Sincerely,

Big Jon :bmw:
How do the OEMs seal them? :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well, there is a company in Tennesse that advertise and makes the claim that they fix our abs units. After you send your unit to them they jerk you around for a couple of months and you have the same broken unit that you first sent them.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts