BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of trading my HD Electra Glide for a K1200 LT. Has anyone else done this and what are your thoughts? Also does anyone have input on the best BMW dealer in the Phoenix area?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I Did

lippol said:
I'm thinking of trading my HD Electra Glide for a K1200 LT. Has anyone else done this and what are your thoughts? Also does anyone have input on the best BMW dealer in the Phoenix area?
I have a HD Road King 2001, Purchased a 2002 K1200LT, In one word,,,,Its the best bike I ever had, its so different, it doesn’t have the HD bad boy look, it doesn’t come with the HD glitter clothing style, ( style before function ) NO Glitter infrastructure, No Blind mass following. But the k1200lt is in my opinion the best machine for my style of riding...enjoyable riding! Fun Riding! Pleasurable riding!

But you need to find out for yourself...Good luck!

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Eight months after buying my LT, in early '03 my brother made the exact switch that you are contemplating. He's not on the forum, so I guess I'll speak for him.

I guess the best thing I can do is quote him. I was at his house last Friday for a party and he said, "That LT will probably be the last bike I ever own.". I guess that says a lot, doesn't it?

He has some issues in his groin area (lymph nodes?) and he could only stand to ride the HD for about 30 minutes at a time. He can ride the LT for about 2 hours before he starts to feel any pain. He also is amazed at the smoothness of the LT. Also, he continually comments about the difference in the clutch feel.

The last point I'd make about his "transformation" is . . . One evening I was riding next to him with his wife on the back of his bike. The sun went down and it started getting pretty chilly. We stopped to give him a little break and I offered for his wife to ride with me...higher windshield and heated seats and all. :) That was the LAST time she ever rode that Harley. I think she likes the LT just as much as he does. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Lots of folks here have switched. As to dealers; IMHO Iron Horse in Tuscon is the best in AZ, good web site, great service, good sales staff. Scottsdale's pretty good. At those two you can talk to and deal directly with the owners. The one in Chandler, which is part of a mega-dealer network in the Valley, I wouldn't recommend under any circumstance. All in all, the trip to Tucson is worth the ride, especially if you're on an LT.

·
Registered
88 Posts
HD to BMW LT

I've been a HD/Cruiser guy for the last 20+ years. Three years ago I bought a Triumph Trophy (sport touring) to ride back and forth to work because I didn't want to leave my new HD (03 Heritage Springer FLSTSI) in the parking lot and exposed to weather. Prior to buying the Trophy, I was an "owner" and not a "rider". After a year or two of riding the Triumph every day and going on a few long touring rides with some sport touring buddies I transitioned from an owner to a rider and now ride 12-15K miles per year. On my last bike week event (Laconia 05), I trailered a HD and the Triumph from VA to NH. I ended up riding the Triumph every day due to a week of crappy weather and enjoyed a great week of riding. My HD buddies were miserable all week.

Your probably starting to get the point. In time it literally became unsafe for me to ride a HD after spending so many miles on the Triumph. On more than one occasion I came close to dumping the HD, because braking and handling was so inferior to the Triumph and I hadn't made the mental shift in what to expect out of the machine prior to hopping on the HD.

Come early summer, I was asking myself everyday why I continued to let a $24K bike sit in the garage. It was beautiful to look at, but definitely wasn't being ridden. I convinced myself I could sell the HD and get an incredible sport touring bike with latest technology (ABS, FI, Cruise, heated grips/seats, etc..) I have several sport touring buddies that provided a smorgasbord of choices for me (BMW LT/RT/GT, Yam FZR and Honda ST).

I sold the HD and bought a one year old K1200GT from the local dealer. After selling the HD and buying the GT I still had plenty of money left and ended up buying a low milage LT. I ride the GT everyday to work and hop on the LT every chance I get for the fun rides (short or long distance).

The LT was a little intimidating at first with it's high center of gravity, but I just took it easy and built my confidence. After 3-4 thousand miles and two trips to the Blue Ridge, the LT and I are like one. I find the LT as easy to throw around on the twisties as the GT.

Bottom line from a guy who has owned many and has loved HD's for the vast part of his life; If you plan to be a rider, you will not be disappointed with your decision to trade your HD for a LT. Don't get me wrong, I still love HD's and plan to get a project HD in the near future, but IMO there is no comparison between any cruiser and a well designed sport/luxury touring bike like the BMWs. It's like comparing apples and oranges in four major categories, where the LT wins hands down for 1) long range comfort, 2) handling (i.e. cornering), 3) breaking and 4) acceleration.

One man's opinion. Enjoy!

Reactions: messenger13

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
"Rider versus owner"

I like that terminology, it says a lot.

(tongue in cheek follows:)

Premise: Harleys are safer.
Reason: You just can't ride a Hardly as fast as you can comfortably ride an LT. So if you hit something with a Hardly, you'll probably be going slower than if you were on a KLT. Therefore: HD is safer.

Nothing wrong with sitting back in western riding style, feet out in front, with the bike going Thud, Thud, Thud under you. I'd really like to have a HD someday. It is on my list. But first I have to get the Triumph, Moto Guzzi, another old Beemer or two, an old Snortin' Norton project, a GoldWing (that's pretty far down the list), a bigger barn to put them all in, and then I'd be ready to get a HD. I'd like one made in the 1950's with the shift on the left side of the tank; I think its called a FLTHDLT-BC softhardtail-Glide (but then I have never figured out HD nomenclature).

Just trying to be funny here. The LT is an amazing bike. You'll like it.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
CharlieVT said:
Nothing wrong with sitting back in western riding style, feet out in front, with the bike going Thud, Thud, Thud under you. I'd really like to have a HD someday. It is on my list. But first...
I completely agree. SOMEday...I'll have my LT, a sport-tourer or two, some totally naked & radical street hooligan, a full-blown race replica, an old 70s naked GoldWing, and an old Harley Fat Boy...Chrome & White w/ white ghost flames. And horns so loud that it'll blow the clothes . . . . er . . . . never mind. :eek: (see 'The Italian Job' for that reference.) :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Go for a '05 or '06

I had been looking at the LT's for several years after putting about 1,000 miles on a buddies '00 back in '01 but didn't like the low speed handling and the seat height, I really enjoyed all other aspects of the bike and kept my eye on them.

In '05 BMW addressed both my concerns with new front end geometry and a narrower seat front which puts me flat footed. A buddy bought one on my recommendation a several weeks later I brought one home.

The LT is very top heavy compared to the Ultra but I am able to do a pretty tight u-turn with both feet on the pegs. The LT as NO low rpm torque this was the most difficult thing to adjust to but the '05 LT has 116hp and plenty of torque in the power band. The LT will cruise all day at 80+ and not even break a sweat and at the end of the day you want to just keep riding.

You can really lean into the corners with the LT great for my fun factor, not so good for Kaye. She really had a hard time getting comfortable with the added seat height and the added lean in the corners. She really likes the bike but feels more secure on the Ultra at speed.

Kaye is to stranger to peg dragin' this is just her honest feeling

I have to agree with one of the previous posts - best bike I have ever owned - so far and I've been riding bikes since '68.

Dave

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
lippol said:
I went from a 2000 Ultra Classic stage II 95" in August 2002. No regrets at all in fact good riddens, No Comparison. The only Harley's I have are a 36 VLH and 53 FL, both alot of fun. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
We did the same for a couple of other bikes we looked at.

I choose the LT. I ride it more than I ever rode the HD; much more tolerable when the wx hits 100F, and when it drops below 60F.

You’ll have to develop a different riding style with the LT. Add more throttle when starting in first. Be careful when turning at slooow speed, and stopping—front tire must be straight when you stop.

We looked carefully at the Goldwing. Decided on the LT because the Goldwing roasted my left foot in cross town traffic when temp was in mid 90sF. Plus, Marietta liked the adjustable windshield. All the way down for me solo, all the way up when she was with me.

Bob

·
Registered
124 Posts
The LT is very top heavy compared to the Ultra but I am able to do a pretty tight u-turn with both feet on the pegs. The LT as NO low rpm torque this was the most difficult thing to adjust to but the '05 LT has 116hp and plenty of torque in the power band. The LT will cruise all day at 80+ and not even break a sweat and at the end of the day you want to just keep riding.
That's IT! You NAILED it!

I've been putting off posting my impressions about my first month with my new '06 LT, mostly because I thought it would be uninteresting and redundant, but, you've described my experience as a new LT owner too.

My plan was to buy the LT and then decide which bike to sell, the '04 Goldwing I still own, or the LT. I'm enjoying the LT to the extent that the GW isn't getting much attention lately. And I'm surprised, because, at first, the LT's very low-speed handling was a put-off. It just takes some getting-used-to. I like it a lot. Handling at speed is simply wonderful - typical BMW.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm in Phoenix too. The message provided earlier (and below) is correct; I would use them in that order - Tucson, Scottsdale then Chandler. I've used them all depending on the job I needed done, but I use Scottsdale the most for everyday things like parts because of their location (closer than Tucson but further than Chandler).

Lots of folks here have switched. As to dealers; IMHO Iron Horse in Tuscon is the best in AZ, good web site, great service, good sales staff. Scottsdale's pretty good. At those two you can talk to and deal directly with the owners. The one in Chandler, which is part of a mega-dealer network in the Valley, I wouldn't recommend under any circumstance. All in all, the trip to Tucson is worth the ride, especially if you're on an LT

·
Registered
567 Posts
Lt Truck vs Farm Implement

I've been riding HD's off & on since I was 17. Went with two friends to BMW dealer in July because one of them was interested in an LT. All three of us have been riding together since we met at the local HOG club in '99. Two of us had no intension of buying one and making the usual jokes that harley riders make about other bikes. Well the dealer turned us lose with the LT for the day. Long story short all three of us bought one when we got back to dealer. I got mine the Friday July 29. The salesman ask me when I wanted to do my 600 mile service I said Monday he said can't do that closed on Monday how about Tuesday. I have 12,000+ miles on it now. I have only ridin the HD once since I got the LT. My signature line kinda sums it up.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Just DO it.

Right answer.. Can the HD. Might have some "comfort" and "lighting" concerns to get squared away, then just ride it!

I rode HD's for 38 years. Good thing they don't want my money anymore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to everyone for the helpful information. Did not even consider the Tuscon dealer before but will check out the website. I will post when I take delivery. The #1 obstacle right now is building my wife's confidence level since she feels so comfortable on the Electra Glide.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
lippol said:
The #1 obstacle right now is building my wife's confidence level since she feels so comfortable on the Electra Glide.
THAT is usually the easy part: Go for a test ride with her on board. That'll do it. At least in 99% of all cases.

·
Registered
857 Posts
worked for me

andy said:
THAT is usually the easy part: Go for a test ride with her on board. That'll do it. At least in 99% of all cases.

I was looking at the RT but got on the LT and said wow. Now how do i convince the wife that she wants to buy me this one rather then the less expensive RT. HMMM, Dealer said go take the LT and bring your wife with you. Dealer gave us a bunch of places to ride to, we only made it down the street to the first traffic light before my wife said ok we will buy this one. I also took her on the RT but she did not like it nearly as much as the LT. Good luck not thaat you will need it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
murray sent you a PM

pm sent

·
Registered
68 Posts
I still have my 98 FLHTCI it makes a nice garage ornament. There is no comparison between the H.D. & the LT. LT does everything better than the Harley, power, handling, ride quality, even fuel milage. You might miss the noise for a little while but thats about it.

Tom

1 - 20 of 44 Posts