BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Well, I tell you what... I rode H-D for near 20 years. Last 4 bikes were of the Touring family.

Head Shake... you bet. Scared the p-diddly squat (technical term) out of me more than once.

Was it the proximate cause of switching to BMW... No, but it was nice not to have it.

OBTW the '09 and newer Touring bikes have solved the problem and older bikes can have stiffeners added for a few hundred bucks.

IMO the '09 and newer are nice bikes, but no longer my style.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have experienced the "death wobble" on my 2008 RT. It's only happened a few times after replacing the stock tires with Dunlop D220's and only when I'm coasting down from speed and let go of the handle bar to adjust my helmet face shield or unzip my jacket etc.. It starts to wobble back and forth pretty hard but just placing my hand back on the bar stops it immediately. For that reason I've purchased some different tires that are recommended for the RT. No other negative handling traits from the 220's and they grip good in wet or dry and will last about 7k which is what I got out of the stock Continentals. Like I said, only a few times in 5k miles so it's not like it's a huge problem or safety concern. I certainly was no where near losing control and crashing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had a 2004 Screammin Eagle Electra Glide. It never wobbled but it felt rubbery.
If you follow one of those pre 09 big framed HD's you will see the rear wheel move out of line with front on curves. I noticed it more when loaded down with gear and wife on it.
Bought a device that secures the swing arm to the engine. Worked great but sent more of the engine vibes to the seat of my pants. Then after 22,000 miles the front cam bearing failed and took out the cam plate and oil pump. Tore it down fixed it right and sold it.
Thats why i drive BMW.
And DATS DAT :bmw:

·
Registered
391 Posts
missusfinz said:
Well, after owning 3 Harleys over the years, ShovelHead Super Glide, Twin Cam Wide Glide, and a Twin Cam Road King with well over 100K miles collectively---I never had the problem. I'm sure there must be a problem, one needs only to watch the video to see proof. However, I still believe H-D makes a fine motorcycle. I also believe no manufacturer would let anything with that kind of a problem out of the factory. Outside causes? Anybody has a thought what might be a cause?
Dave

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
It says in the article that it's alleged to be caused by their engine mounting system.

" Court cases against the company have centered on these bikes: the Road King, Ultra Classic, the Electra Glide and FLH series. The suits focus on their patented design for keeping the engine mounted to the frame of the bike. Critics argue the system is susceptible to a side-to-side motion, causing a wobble."

I'm no engineer but this sounds like a big harmonic imbalance to me.

As far as anybody knowingly marketing something dangerous just look at the exploding Ford Pinto and three decades later the exploding Ford Crown Vic.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I learned to ride seriously on a Ducati, Had a Yamaha for a year or two. Bought an FXSTC in 1992, traded it on a K-11 in 1993, never looked back. I'm on my 3rd beemer. HD is for those who can only think with their 'little brain'.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Based on what I've read and heard, I would say it's a design weakness. Not every bike has it. those that do, don't have it occur at a common speed nor a common RPM. It's a stacking of tolerances that when the total goes out of bounds causes the problem. I have to believe there are engineers at HD that have raised their hand to help resolve but execs don't want to acknowledge the problem. If they take action, they accept responsibility. They are in the mode of plausible deniability. If they turned it over to the engineering folks, they would design the weakness out.

It's not like what forum members have experienced on their BMWs. it is not a result of not using recommended tires, doing "look ma, no hands" etc.

·
Registered
112 Posts
xcamel said:
HD is for those who can only think with their 'little brain'.
Kinda like those folks who disrespect what other motorcyclists ride just because they don't like them... :mad:

·
Registered
2011 RT
188 Posts
I have experienced HD tank slappers many times..from 1972Flh - 2001 Roadking and in between. Only by the grace of God do I sit here and type today.

....I'm a Blessed man.

·
Registered
155 Posts
realworld51 said:
Kinda like those folks who disrespect what other motorcyclists ride just because they don't like them... :mad:
I disrespect the machine because of its flaws, The riders however, have a chance to repent, otherwise they get exactly what they deserve, sometimes very painfully. :{|

·
Registered
66 Posts
realworld51 said:
+1 Next it'll be the Coke people talking about how silly the Pepsi people are. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
R1200RG said:
I have experienced the "death wobble" on my 2008 RT. It's only happened a few times after replacing the stock tires with Dunlop D220's and only when I'm coasting down from speed and let go of the handle bar to adjust my helmet face shield or unzip my jacket etc.
The BMW has different geometry -- your wobble was most likely a tire-change issue.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
hopz said:
Well, I tell you what... I rode H-D for near 20 years. Last 4 bikes were of the Touring family.

Head Shake... you bet. Scared the p-diddly squat (technical term) out of me more than once.

Was it the proximate cause of switching to BMW... No, but it was nice not to have it.

OBTW the '09 and newer Touring bikes have solved the problem and older bikes can have stiffeners added for a few hundred bucks.

IMO the '09 and newer are nice bikes, but no longer my style.

actually they really did not solve it until the addition of the 4th engine to frame link

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
fastbikedroid said:
+1 Next it'll be the Coke people talking about how silly the Pepsi people are. Ridiculous.

well heck, at least that is about taste :)

we all know pepsi really tastes bad!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tmgs said:
well heck, at least that is about taste :)

we all know pepsi really tastes bad!
It only tastes bad when they use American water. Canadian water is way better. :)
I'm kidding...don't shoot me...

·
Registered
241 Posts
The guy that told me about Next Steps Chicago had this experience. He just settled with Harley. There was a non-disclosure clause so I don't know all the details. That is how he became paralyzed.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts