BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave up on the Icelink and I am going to use my Creative Jukebox Zen Micro in the oddments box plugged into the aux connector of my VoiceII.

The Zen is powered through its usb 2.0 connector either from computer or from AC adaptor that has usb end on it and says it output is 5v 1000mA.

Any advice on harwiring?

I have seen how to do the Ipod but I am not sure if the Zen will be as easy.

·
IBR# 366
16,562 Posts
The spec for USB input voltage is 4.4-5.25 Vdc, so you need to drop the bike's 12V power down to 5V. If you have any electrical experience, then you can build a simple circuit for this, but if not, maybe you can find a USB auto adapter and use that. Something like this should work. You can either wire in a standard cigarette lighter port and just plug everything in, or open up the USB auto adapter and wire directly to it (using a fuse, of course). If you don't want to cut any wires, then get a BMW power plug to cigarette lighter socket adapter such as PAC-002 on this page. Then tuck all this away somewhere under the tupperware and just run the USB cable to wherever you plan to put the Zen.

The iPod is a bit easier, as the IEEE 1394 (FireWire) spec allows 8-30 Vdc, so you can just wire it directly to the bike's power system.

But I have two other comments. First, the iPod can also be plugged directly into the Voice II, just like any other audio player with a standard 3.5 mm cable. Of course you lose handlebar control, but you wouldn't have that with the Zen either.

Second, it seems like we've finally narrowed down the lockup issue to a heat problem. Relocating the ice>Link and the iPod out of the saddlebag seems to make a big difference. Look through this thread for details.

If you do decide to go with the Zen, then I'm sure that you can sell your iPod and ice>Link here to someone else.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
meese said:
The spec for USB input voltage is 4.4-5.25 Vdc, so you need to drop the bike's 12V power down to 5V. If you have any electrical experience, then you can build a simple circuit for this, but if not, maybe you can find a USB auto adapter and use that. Something like this should work. You can either wire in a standard cigarette lighter port and just plug everything in, or open up the USB auto adapter and wire directly to it (using a fuse, of course). If you don't want to cut any wires, then get a BMW power plug to cigarette lighter socket adapter such as PAC-002 on this page. Then tuck all this away somewhere under the tupperware and just run the USB cable to wherever you plan to put the Zen.

The iPod is a bit easier, as the IEEE 1394 (FireWire) spec allows 8-30 Vdc, so you can just wire it directly to the bike's power system.

But I have two other comments. First, the iPod can also be plugged directly into the Voice II, just like any other audio player with a standard 3.5 mm cable. Of course you lose handlebar control, but you wouldn't have that with the Zen either.

Second, it seems like we've finally narrowed down the lockup issue to a heat problem. Relocating the ice>Link and the iPod out of the saddlebag seems to make a big difference. Look through this thread for details.

If you do decide to go with the Zen, then I'm sure that you can sell your iPod and ice>Link here to someone else.
Ken:

Thanks for the great info. I will rig something like you suggest up. I have to go to Rat Shack today so I will see what I can find or just modify the auto adaptor.

I never did have an Ipod. After I spent all the cash on the VoiceII I just decide to stick with the Zen. It has a wired remote control that I can stick somewhere or just have my wife control it.

Thanks.

·
IBR# 366
16,562 Posts
Glad to help. Let us know when you get it working, or if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Or perhaps I will get an Ipod Nano for my wife for X-mas and we can use that when we ride.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts