BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's really hard to imagine that I in fact have seen and worked with this one and it's predecessor, the 5MB version. And yes I remember those prices as well.

These days a single picture is taking more space than one of these puppies.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
and they were heavy as bricks!

Can you imagine, life on monocromatic CRT's and Kb RAM limits, knowing what we do know?

I'd be something other than in IT, thats for sure.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
Don't most cel phones have more memory than that now?:)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I installed one in my old televideo computer to double its capacity and i also installed an extra 32k ram to max out its capabilities. How many years ago in the dark ages of pc computing? 1980 something? my original televideo PC with 5mb hard disk and a 12 inch monitor was something like $7500.00 and it was just barely able to do some office accounting.....Wow!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think it was about '84 or '85, we did a lot of work on desktops with two 5 1/4 (that's 360 Kb folks). They were great! Things starting going south when we got the hard dirve - a wopping 1 Mb drive!!!!! The boss wanted to save each change to each document (a new document each time). We filled the hard drive in just a few months. Ahhh, those were the days.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
AH the old days.

Remember when I upgraded my 128 Mac to a 512 and then came the 20 meg HD.

Still got that machine, still worked the last time I booted it up. Played a couple of games of solitare and put it up. Got the 9 pin Apple printer for it too. Can't find a ribbon for it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
IBM dropped a 2 floppy drive on my desk in 1981. I had to create the spreadsheets (Visicalc?) for the accounting department. The first IBM hard disk upgrade required an expansion box - the same size as the computer itself, with a huge fat cable connection. And the accounting department didn't want it, because they couldn't take their super secret data disk with all the super secret information on it and lock it in their safe!

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
andy said:
It's really hard to imagine that I in fact have seen and worked with this one and it's predecessor, the 5MB version. And yes I remember those prices as well.

My first hard drive was attached to a Heath/Zenith Z-89. It was powered by a Ziglog Z80, running CP/M (although it would also run HDOS). The hard drive unit was a Z-67, in a separate cabinet, weighing about 65lbs. It had a 10mb Memorex 8" hard drive and a Siemens 8" floppy drive. I think the floppy was DSDD holding a whopping 1.2mb. All this to run TCS accounting, WordStar and SuperCalc.

The H89 and Z-89 came with a hard-sectored controller and a single sided 5-1/4 floppy with a capacity of 100kb. The big get was the soft-sectored controller bringing the floppy up to a whopping 160kb.

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
andy said:

AND in Today's dollars a significant multiple of that price! :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts