BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wanted to purchase a motorcycle lift for sometime. For the price of the Harbor Freight lift I was afraid it was not heavy enough for lifting a K1200LT. There is a Harbor Freight store located in Omaha, Nebraska, which I live within 50 miles. I picked one up yesterday, October 26. I was really impressed with it. To make it safe when riding on I made to platforms out of ½ inch plywood for each side to put your feet down. Also my garage floor is real smooth and slick. When driving on to it the lift wanted to slide. I cut two small wedge blocks and place them in front of the caster wheels. This worked fine. I am going to find two of the hard rubber door stops which I am sure would work better. The lift itself is plenty sufficiency for lifting a K1200LT. I have a wheel lock, which I was going to use in place of the wheel vice but most of the time you will want the rear wheel up so I use the center stand and the front wheel vice. I also fixed tie downs hooks but I did not use them today while I was servicing my bike. It seems very solid on the lift.

The lift was on sale for $299.00. Plus for $29.00 they have a replacement plan. In one year I can take it back to the store I purchased it at and exchange for a new lift. Covers a one-time replacement. Term begins at end of manufacture’s warranty.

I have posted several pictures of the lift.

Attachments

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
The one thing I have seen on other lifts ( not sure the brands) was where the center stand contacts the platform it seem to bend from the wieght. So I would keep an eye on that ,you may need to add a support brace to it,but it looks pretty good to me from the pics. Thanks for sharing
BTW is that a corbin smugler box in place of the top box? looks good can you get a better pic of it? :D please

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Does the bike go any farther foward? It looks like it should, other lifts I have seen the front wheel goes into a vice at the front of the platform. How much effort does it take to get it up? When you release it does it come down so you can controll it? Sure can't beat the price.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Looks like a good buy and a great price.
how smooth is the up and down?

The hooks and the front whell came on the price?

Thank you for sharring the pictures

·
Registered
607 Posts
I bought the same basic lift, only with the front wheel vise. It was $399, I think. It also has two lifting options: a foot operated pedal, or an automatic pump powered with compressed air. Mine showed up with damage from shipping to the top plate (it looked like whoever was operating the fork lift was in a hurry) and called Harbor Freight right away. They are sending me a complete new top plate, since I couldn't ship the lift back in the (destroyed) crate.
My garage area is a little tight in the winter months - four one-ton pallets of wood pellets take up a lot of room. To make it easier to ride the bike onto the lift, and to keep it out of the way when not in use, I'm digging up the garage floor and installing the lift into a pit that will put the top plate slightly below floor level when down. I can then cover the pit with a sheet of braced 3/4" plywood and a large rubber garage mat. The pit has recessed edges to accept the plywood, so it will be floor level. When needed, I'll pull the mat and plywood, bolt on the front tire vise, ride the bike onto the lift and raise it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dmatson said:
Does the bike go any farther foward? It looks like it should, other lifts I have seen the front wheel goes into a vice at the front of the platform. How much effort does it take to get it up? When you release it does it come down so you can controll it? Sure can't beat the price.
If I would use my Wheel Lock the bike would be to the front of the platform. When I drive on I go clear to the front but when raising the center stand pulls he bike back. There are three positions to bolt the front wheel vice but when on the center stand it bolts in the back position. There is no effort at all when pumping the hydraulic pump to raise the bike. This is what I was concerned about before purchasing the lift. When lowering it you have control of any speed you want it to come down. You can just make it creep if you like. I have probably raise my bike twenty times and cannot see no problem with it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Harbor Lift

strsout said:
Looks like a good buy and a great price.
how smooth is the up and down?

The hooks and the front whell came on the price?

Thank you for sharring the pictures
As far as letting it down you can control it at any speed. I have just let it creep where you can hardly see it move.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Harbor freight

Tat_n_Telle said:
I bought the same basic lift, only with the front wheel vise. It was $399, I think. It also has two lifting options: a foot operated pedal, or an automatic pump powered with compressed air. Mine showed up with damage from shipping to the top plate (it looked like whoever was operating the fork lift was in a hurry) and called Harbor Freight right away. They are sending me a complete new top plate, since I couldn't ship the lift back in the (destroyed) crate.
My garage area is a little tight in the winter months - four one-ton pallets of wood pellets take up a lot of room. To make it easier to ride the bike onto the lift, and to keep it out of the way when not in use, I'm digging up the garage floor and installing the lift into a pit that will put the top plate slightly below floor level when down. I can then cover the pit with a sheet of braced 3/4" plywood and a large rubber garage mat. The pit has recessed edges to accept the plywood, so it will be floor level. When needed, I'll pull the mat and plywood, bolt on the front tire vise, ride the bike onto the lift and raise it.
I wanted the one with the automatic pump powered air compressor but the stores do not carry that unit. I could see where they could damage them in shipping because the are heavy and hard to handle. They loaded it on my pickup at the store with a fork lift. I had one person help me unload it at home but assembled it alone with no problem. After using the hydraulic pump I probably would not have paid the extra hundred for the air. It is not that hard to pump it up. The platforms that I make for the sides hang on my garage wall and take up very little room. I have a large three stall garage so I have plenty of room. It would be nice to have it set in the floor.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I just bought a HF unit yesterday on sale for $299 less a 20% coupon. All I have to do now is wait for my son to help me unload the beast from the back of the van.

Thanks for the useful ideas Jerrym.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Jerrym said:
I have a large three stall garage so I have plenty of room.
Ah, my dream! Actually, I'd love to convert the house to a six car garage, complete with motorcycle and automotive lifts, with room for a milling machine and lathe. Just toss a couch and TV in one of the bays.

I don't think Telle would be too crazy 'bout that. She keeps mentioning something like 'remodeling the bathroom', whatever that means. :)

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I have one of the Harbor Freight lifts. I don't have a problem with this, since I don't use the lift every day ... but the hydraulic unit I have takes about 60 or 70 strokes of the foot pedal to raise the bike all the way up. Not what you'd want if you're in the business of servicing bikes.

- Bob

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Harbor Freight

bob_menton said:
I have one of the Harbor Freight lifts. I don't have a problem with this, since I don't use the lift every day ... but the hydraulic unit I have takes about 60 or 70 strokes of the foot pedal to raise the bike all the way up. Not what you'd want if you're in the business of servicing bikes.

- Bob
Your right if you were using it every day for commercial use. I just use it for my own service, which I do most all my own and my tires. I do have a couple friends I help on service and tires. It the store had carried the air one I know I would have purchased it. I was a fright if I ordered one and it was shipped by truck it would get damaged. They are not carted very well for freight truck handling. I am going to put a 7 inch extension on the front of the platform so as to get the bike a little more forward when on the center stand. The center stand would be right on the reinforcement under the platform. For my use it works perfect. Thanks for your interest.

The main reason I shown it was I know a lot of us wanted lifts but do not have use enough to spend 500 to 700 dollars. This lift is sufficiency for most all of us. When you see the cheap price it makes you leary. I have been taken several times by cheap products. I am interested in hearing any complaints. Maybe it will not last but I have been in the manufacturing of hydraulic liftgate for over 40 years ( Tommy Gate & Eagle Lift Liftgates). I know I could not manufacture this unit and be able to retail it for 299.00 dollars with steel prices as of today. Personally I think it is a good buy.

·
Registered
143 Posts
OK, so the side ramps help you to get the bike onto the ramp, what's next, do you have someone standing by to tighten the front wheel in the vise before you dismount, or is there enough room to put the sidestand down and dismount, then get it up on the center stand?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
He's got an 05', just push the button, all done.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
joeb83 said:
OK, so the side ramps help you to get the bike onto the ramp, what's next, do you have someone standing by to tighten the front wheel in the vise before you dismount, or is there enough room to put the sidestand down and dismount, then get it up on the center stand?
I have an '02, and also built wooden side ramps. There is enough room for me to put the bike on the sidestand, dismount, and then put the bike up on the center stand.

- Bob

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Smuggler

katnapinn said:
The one thing I have seen on other lifts ( not sure the brands) was where the center stand contacts the platform it seem to bend from the wieght. So I would keep an eye on that ,you may need to add a support brace to it,but it looks pretty good to me from the pics. Thanks for sharing
BTW is that a corbin smugler box in place of the top box? looks good can you get a better pic of it? :D please
Steve,

Here is a better picture of the smuggler that you asked for.

Attachments

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Jerrym said:
Steve,

Here is a better picture of the smuggler that you asked for.
Thank Jerry man that looks good Looks like a whole different bike. Dang if I didn't ride two up 95 percent of the time I would be gettin one of them there Smugglers :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey Jerry, the lift looks good I think I will get one. You say you do your own tires. What type of balancer do you use? I tried to buy one from Marc Pranes, but I cannot get an e-mail to go through.

Thanks.

Ron

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Balancer

mistral said:
Hey Jerry, the lift looks good I think I will get one. You say you do your own tires. What type of balancer do you use? I tried to buy one from Marc Pranes, but I cannot get an e-mail to go through.

Thanks.

Ron
Ron

I send you an email

Jerry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts