1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have had two LT's and a couple other bikes on it. I am happy with mine

·
Registered
211 Posts
I park on mine every night. I built a shed floor around it.
Unless you have a perfectly level floor, you will want to anchor it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Anyone here had an Lt on a harbor freight lift?
My LT lifts up just fine... Made my recent brake line replacement MUCH more comfortable... Have had Goldwings, Voyagers, etc. up there with no issues...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Anyone here had an Lt on a harbor freight lift?
MUCH TOO LIGHT for an LT IN MY OPINION!! I have one and I don't like to put a 600 pound plus bike on it. So I bought a Handi lift. Much more stable! I do know about structures as I am going on my 31st year as a Professional Structural Engineer. Your Lt is over 800 lbs. I only use my HF Lift for my Vespa now.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have one bought this year.Works fine for my 09. If I was using it everyday for a business I would spend the extra to get a Handi or whoever. But for basic maintenance for 1 bike it's the best 300$ spent

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I purchased an ATV/Tractor lift from Harbor Freight (online). Problems with hydraulic cylinder. Lifted my tractor one time, nothing now, fluid level is full ! No response from them yet to fix problem !

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
About 14 years ago I purchased a Handy Lift. Yea it was more expensive than the HF unit but I believe it was money well spent. I've been using it ever since purchase to service my bikes including LT's, RT's and my K100/EML sidehack, lawn equipment including my commercial JD Zero turn mower, and several of my riding friends Gold Wings including a few GW Trikes. Works perfectly every time and handles the extra weight of the mower and trikes with ease. Not sure the HF would be as safe or reliable. My thoughts are that one failure of the HF and a dropped bike will more than make up the extra cost for the Handy in replacing damaged parts.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I purchased an ATV/Tractor lift from Harbor Freight (online). Problems with hydraulic cylinder. Lifted my tractor one time, nothing now, fluid level is full ! No response from them yet to fix problem !
Look in your owners manual under troubleshooting, it will tell you how to remove that trapped air bubble.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
HF USED to offer a 1,200 lb lift, and I have one of those. Plenty heavy duty - in fact as solid as my buddy's Handy Lift; attaches to my air compressor. Very solid, and I can't believe they discontinued them (then again, HF does like to err on the side of cheap) about 5-6 years ago.

Their current 1,000 lb. lift is much more spindly, and IMO too close to weight rating of LT to use.

·
Registered
634 Posts
MUCH TOO LIGHT for an LT IN MY OPINION!! I have one and I don't like to put a 600 pound plus bike on it. So I bought a Handi lift. Much more stable! I do know about structures as I am going on my 31st year as a Professional Structural Engineer. Your Lt is over 800 lbs. I only use my HF Lift for my Vespa now.
I agree. I went with a Direct lift (pro cycle) lift. heavy duty, well worth the money. It lifts the LT and any other heavy bike no problem. I've had it for a few years now...

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tore mine down this winter on the HF lift. No issues as long as I made sure the bike was centered properly on it. Unless you build up some sides to widen the base as you pull up on it, make sure you have another set of hands to help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used 4 4by4s and 2 2by 10s to make foot ramps on each side of the lift so I would have a place to put my feet down. Easy to move after the bike is on the lift. I also bought their copy of the Condor and mounted it on the lift. Now it's safe and a one man operation.
Tom

·
Registered
371 Posts
Their current 1,000 lb. lift is much more spindly, and IMO too close to weight rating of LT to use.[/QUOTE]

I don't own a lift yet, but I must agree this limit of 1000lbs is a little close for comfort. Just imagine you climb on to get something and up your over its limits right there. :eek:

·
Registered
185 Posts
bought one for my clutch tear down, best $300 spent, might not be as nice as the Handy Lift others are talking about but at $1200 it better be 4x as good. If you have the money to spend get the HANDY. but if you're on a budget HF works just fine.

Having said that, always center the bike on the lift, don't sit on the bike while lifted (don't know why you'd do that), set it on level surface. have used mine with several different bikes, has worked great, just don't get cocky!

I made side stands that attach to the lift to help get the bike onto the thing. With smaller bikes its not too hard, but with the Starship the extra wide platform helps if you're doing it yourself, I always try to have a helper.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts