BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Harbor Freight Jack?

4K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Jerrym 
#1 ·
I need to know what model Harbor Freight jack everyone is using to lift the LT. I have a Craftsman jack that appears (and was verified on this forum) like it will damage the bike if I use it. I skated around on the Harbor Freight site and didn't see anything that looked like it would work.
Thanks.
Ride Safe!

#2 ·
Bandit said:
I need to know what model Harbor Freight jack everyone is using to lift the LT. I have a Craftsman jack that appears (and was verified on this forum) like it will damage the bike if I use it. I skated around on the Harbor Freight site and didn't see anything that looked like it would work.
Thanks.
Ride Safe!
Dennis - I think everyone doing the HF lift is talking about the ride-on table top lift that raises the bike up about ~30" or so. Kinda like the Handy Lifts you see in motorcycle service bays. HTH.

#3 ·
Harbor Freight Lift

Love it, manually or air over hydraulic. Both work well. Has drop out for rear tire. Could use moving the front tire clamp forward about 4 inches but no big deal.

Get a Honda sizzor jack, put a cushion on the top or a removeable 12 inch long piece of light channel and wha la you slip it under the frame and jack the back end up. WORKS!

AND this HF unit is about half the price of a Handy. BUT not meant for commercial everyday use.

#4 ·
I'll agree with all oldracer stated and add one more. Often HF puts the MC lifts on sale. Sign up for their email sale phamplets, find the nearest HF to you, and in short, be ready to go and get one when they go on sale. As for the lifts, don't even think of it unless you take the tupperware off. Even then you will have some problems getting it level. Save the money for a table.

I did do one thing to mine recently that greatly added to my use. Don't have pics yet, but will get some soon. Just got back home from Ky.

tcars
John

#8 ·
Lift

I just picked one up for $199 from HF. I got the manual one and also purchased a chock to mount to the front instead of the small vise like thing. I have put the LT up on it and it is fine. I presently am doing a major service on a 1985 R80. I have to tell you I am too old to crawl on the cold floor anymore. having the bike on a lift is the ONLY way to go. Fluid changes are a breeze I just slid the oil pan forward along the lift going from Rear drive to Final drive to tranny to engine oil. Piece of cake.

#12 ·
I added this to my table, now I can drive upon it without any assistance. I got two 2" x 6" x 8' and used them to form the two side supports. I used some scrap lumber to make the two supports for each section. If you shortened the sectoin on the main table to about 5', you would have enough lumber left for everything. Just make sure to put your supports on the ends.

tcars
John

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
Harbor Freight Lift

I have used a Harbor Freight lift for about two years. I used it for my LT and now my Gold Wing. I added on to the platform and use my wheeldock on it. I also made some wood platforms for my feet riding on.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.