BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, it's me. They guy that gave up the ghost, and decided to stay with his Ultra Classic.

What happened? Glad you asked.

Last night I went for an after dinner ride on my Ultra. I had an old Butt Buffer seat, and decided to throw it on. Went for a ride, and all I could think about was the LT, and how it handled, broke, etc. After riding the LT, my Ultra did seem a bit on the clunky side, but even then, I was resigned to keeping the Ultra.

Then, I came to a stop sign, and noticed my feet were not flat on the ground. The reason, of course, was the Butt Buffer pad. But, I didn't panic, just accepted the fact and rode on. But, that got me to thinking, "Why, wasn't I nervous when my feet were not planted on the ground?" The reason was simple, I knew my bike, knew how it handled, and what it would or would not do in certain situations. Feet not firmly planted, no big deal.

Then, I got to thinking about my ride on the LT. My first test ride on a totally different bike. The only similarities were both bikes had two wheels and used gasoline, and that's were the similarities ended.

Everything on the LT was foreign to me. The sound, the engine, the handlebars, the seat, the foot pegs, shifter, brakess, you name it. I was basically in an alien world, so it isn't surprising that I wasn't 100% sure.

I decided to take another test ride today, and what a world of difference. At least today, I knew where everything was. It wasn't a natural reach, but it was familiar territory. And, today, the bike didn't seem nearly as big. My feet, 95% of the time were planted firmly on the ground, and I was way more confident upon the bike.

One thing I did do was to try several slow riding drills, and they went well. I was going about 2MPH, and had the bike in a rock steady, straight line. It felt good.

Stopping the bike is not something you'd want to take a picture of yet, and starting from a stop is a little jerky (higher rpm needed on the LT), but I don't look like a total novice either. I know both those things will improve with time of the bike.

There's still a lot of driving technique to change, and adapt to, but that will come with miles.

So, here I am, a happy member of the LT family :), and new owner of a 2006, Charcoal Grey (I thought it was black) K1200 LT!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've met people who claim to have an open mind, but don't see it practiced much. Even if the outcome would have been different, ie stuck with the Ultra, the fact you gave it a 2nd look based on thinking it through is impressive. Welcome to the LT, I predict you'll make a great contribution to the community.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Glad you have given it a second chance.
(Even if you didn't purchase it)

As you stated, the first time on a new bike, is like being in a different world. It is hard to concentrate on what you really like and disklike while you are just trying to figure out where the darn blinkers are !!

Welcome again to the forum, and enjoy the new ride.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Congrats

I made the same jump almost a month ago (although mine is a new 05). I'm sure you will love the ride (though the comfort accessories for the bike are somewhat limited). Wait until the first time you have to break really hard to compensate for someone else's rectal/cranial inversion and you will positively love your new ride. I'd be riding mine today except that at 1,400 miles its in the shop waiting for a part that needs to be shipped from...... wait for it..... GERMANY!!!! I can wait for my ride to be fixed... I just have to remember that I'm in my happy place.... I'm in my happy place.... I'm in my happy place.
Enough bitching from me, this is about you. Congrats again and if you ever come to SE Wisconsin look me up and we'll go riding around Harley Town (aka Milwaukee).

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
You will love it more each day

Welcome !!

If I had it to do all over again, as I learned to ride this bike, I would remove the trunk (numerous messages on this board lately) because of the noticeable handling differences. I am still amazed at how much better it handles at low speed. It only takes about 15 minutes to remove and you'll quickly feel the difference.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
As already said, we are really glad you thought about it logically and went back and tried it again. Glad not for us, but for YOU!

Well, glad for us too! Always great to add another smart thinking person to the group. ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
advice from a shorter inseam

I have a 29" inseam and will give you a few tips I have learned from not being able to flatfoot both feet at the same time.

• Use the reverse in parking lots. One small pebble under your toe when trying to manually back up is trouble. Even when I thought the pavement was clean I have slipped, it's a heavy bike and I tend to be a little off center pushing back with one foot.
  • Be very careful pulling into a driveway with a slight uphill entrance. You will be going slow and turning. Tap the brakes too much when your feet are over no mans land at the street-driveway seam and it will be no fun.
  • It can be very slick around gas pumps. I always try to be pulling in straight when I'm near them.
  • I have dropped mine twice coming off the centerstand when parked on the road with just a slight side slope. It started to lean to the low side and the gap until my foot hit the ground was too much of a lean angle to stop the momentum. I now bring it off the centerstand standing beside it if not on level ground.
And if it does start to fall, it's best to let it go and not hurt yourself trying to hold it up. Things you may already know. HTH

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Now ya' got it! Welcome to the insane asylum!

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
congrats and welcome to our lil disfunctional family :D in time the LT will become part of you.You will not even remember why you thought about not getting it. :eek: Again welcome aboard & Just Ride It

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Now that was one cool post! Good luck.
I was the same way after I just sat on the LT. I never even heard it run but for two weeks I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about a bike that was not on my top five list. I knew that I knew that I wanted that bike. No looking back.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Kind of strange how it speaks to your soul.

Now the BBS sets in!

Welcome

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Now you have to get used to ABS.

I had to get used to where the foot pegs are on my LT and the turn signal levers.

When I ordered parts for the 12K, I ordered two valve cover gaskets, and two spark plugs. But, I remembered to get anti-freeze.

Bob

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
You legs will get longer.

The longer you have the bike the longer you legs will get. I have a 30-inch inseam and was a little concerned about tiptoeing when I came to a stop too. I bought mine a year ago and had a couple tip-overs before I had mastered all the potent issues.

1. Gravel-When you pull off on gravel and the road slopes away from the bike you legs get shorter (ha, ha) and your toe slips away easier. Just be aware.
2. The short leg syndrome works on painted lines and oil in combination with rain.
3. Keeping the wheel straight when making a slow stop is important. Short legs seem shorter when 1000 lbs. of momentum (with your weight) get going the wrong way.
4. Your legs will seem shorter when the bike is parked up hill on the center stand. You may need a friend to push it off or look like you are very un-cool jerking the bike forward without your feet touching the ground.
5. Reverse is a blessing backing up hill. You could pull something trying this with short or long legs.

This is the most comfortable bike I could find that did not wallow. My inseam has adapted nicely.

Welcome to the group!

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
This reminds me, when I bought my first LT the salesman wanted to ride my Ultra. While I was in signing all the papers he took off on the bike only to return a few moments later, with a horrified look on his face, asking "What's wrong with the brakes on that thing?" I didn't know what he was talking about, cause they worked fine when I rode it there, so I went out and rode the Ultra in the parking lot and it was fine. When I finally got on the LT (bought it without riding one) I quickly discovered why he thought the Ultra had no brakes. Huge difference!!!

Anyway, you'll be glad you went back and gave her a second chance. I have a 36" inseam and notice when I am at a light I am on the balls of my toes most of the time, but the balance of the bike compared to the Ultra makes a big difference. Once you get used to the riding position you will find you don't use the J-Pegs as much as you used the highway pegs, because it is a more comfortable position. Welcome!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts