BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He helped make this country a better place to live. :)

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
The "I have a dream" speech should be mandatory reading for every student, every year. Not some teachers interpretation of it, but an actual reading.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
uhm... excuse me...mandatory??

that sounds like you want to "shove it down my throat"

there's already enough of that going on in this country!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
He helped make this country a better place to live. :)
In my family growing up, being that both parents were educators, MLK,Jr. was revered just like Bobby and John F. Kennedy. My caucasian dad worked in an all black school in North Hartford, CT as a special ed teacher and was surrounded daily by mostly black teachers, principals, school board members and union reps. My dad's black principal of the school was also his best friend and when he died, my dad was one of his pall bearers at his funural. My parents made us kids aware and attentive of all King's speeches and the civil rights era movement. I believe he did make this country a better place and made my dad a better teacher and father too. We easily bought into the words that it's not the color of a persons skin that matters but the content of their character.:)

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I agree, it's not about skin color, it's about attitude.

·
IBR# 366
16,554 Posts
And one day, no one will be judged; not for their skin color, their gender, their nationality, or their sexuality.

Now there's a dream worth dreaming, and worth pursuing.

MLK had it right, but it's only just the beginning . . .

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
uhm... excuse me...mandatory??

that sounds like you want to "shove it down my throat"

there's already enough of that going on in this country!
Yes, mandatory. Along with the Bill of Rights and several other historical events, documents and speeches that have been twisted and/or watered down over the years. Just as 1+1=2, not 1+1= that's ok Johnny, you tried. The legacy of Martin Luther King is best told through the intent of his words (plagiarized or not) and actions, not by those who seek to "interpret" those events through hindsight.

A real education system should provide a student with the factual historical details, presented in the context of the day. Let the child use his own brain. Interpreting historical events and framing their meaning/significance is a means to an end, and IMO is more akin to shoving something down our children's throats.

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
hoog62 said:
....Just as 1+1=2, not 1+1= that's ok Johnny, you tried.....
Dave, you're way to black and white, pardon the pun! :D You're not seeing that the world is all about the Gray, and is not absolute. If you keep up with that, someone's one BIG feeling, and little self-esteem might be hurt! You don't want to be responsible for that, now do you? I didn't think so.....:confused: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Late but still true.

This was posted by a friend of mine on her Facebook status the other day:

A fitting tribute to Dr. King: "Last week we saw a white Catholic male Republican judge murdered on his way to greet a Democratic Jewish woman member of Congress, who was his friend. Her life was saved initially by a 20-year-old Mexican-American gay college student, and eventually by a Korean American combat surgeon, and this all was eulogized by our African American President."

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
GlennM86 said:
Late but still true.

This was posted by a friend of mine on her Facebook status the other day:

A fitting tribute to Dr. King: "Last week we saw a white Catholic male Republican judge murdered on his way to greet a Democratic Jewish woman member of Congress, who was his friend. Her life was saved initially by a 20-year-old Mexican-American gay college student, and eventually by a Korean American combat surgeon, and this all was eulogized by our African American President."
It may be TRUE, but all irrelevant. Her FB "status" missed the entire message of Dr King.
:(

·
Registered
616 Posts
GlennM86 said:
: "Last week we saw a white Catholic male Republican judge murdered on his way to greet a Democratic Jewish woman member of Congress, who was his friend. Her life was saved initially by a 20-year-old Mexican-American gay college student, and eventually by a Korean American combat surgeon, and this all was eulogized by our African American President."

Sums it up rigth here....

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1118352/the_bigot_family/

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Just another crappy Monday ! :rolleyes:

I'm ready for spring.......... :cool:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Lawrence_D said:
Amen! I wish he were still with us!

I do not think he would be too happy with our progress though. Today we are more segregated than ever and the nation is ideologically polarized. Both of these factors work to weaken this great country.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Well, happy Saturday morning to me! :rolleyes:

As Jay will no doubt notice here shortly, several posts have been deleted due to the pissing match that was breaking out. The Crapper is now closed. Religion and politics are on a very short leash. For those that have some strong desire to "take sides" and post argumental and/or inciteful rhetoric on these subjects, please do it privately.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for not deleting the entire thread Dave. :)

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
hoog62 said:
....As Jay will no doubt notice here shortly....
Notice what? :confused: My keen powers of observation have now been "trained." :D

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
hoog62 said:
...several posts have been deleted due to the pissing match that was breaking out. The Crapper is now closed. Religion and politics are on a very short leash. For those that have some strong desire to "take sides" and post argumental and/or inciteful rhetoric on these subjects, please do it privately.
Dave - I respectfully submit that you missed one, posted on 1/17 at 6:17 pm by Meese.

From MLK's speech: "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

From post: "And one day, no one will be judged; not for their skin color, their gender, their nationality, or their sexuality."

Doesn't that go without saying??

I am sure that most people understand that MLK was not referring to just his four children. However, since MLK had four children, two boys and two girls, then Meese's reference to gender is redundant at best. Regarding Meese's reference to nationality and sexuality, is again redundant because this would fall under being judged "by the content of their character."

I noticed Ken's post shortly after it was posted, but missed the other posts that have subsequently been deleted. When I read Ken's post I chose not to respond for I did not want to contribute to the deterioration of this thread.

But to somehow suggest that one of the greatest speeches ever written was somehow lacking content, or excludes ANY individual for any reason, is quite frankly maddening AND inciteful.

Perhaps Ken should send his editorial comments to the King family, for I am sure they will welcome this new found enlightenment.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I appreciate your comments Ted, and your discretion.

The posts that were deleted had collectively changed the course of the thread away from respectful discussion, and toward just another pissing match where there would be no "winner". I think this forum benefits from diverse views when they are presented with respect to the other members, and they stimulate discussion rather than a petty argument. The latter being hard to predict.

It's a grey area obviously, but we do get posts that are clearly more intentionally divisive that the one you've referenced. I think your points are valid, and could be part of a substantive discussion if others so choose....yeah, I'm an optimist that way....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts