BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
messenger13 said:
Just like your momma told ya...

Have fun, but be safe!!!

Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery to Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York.

This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico. But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York. The ship hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost.

The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo
That is funny :histerica not accutare but funny. Feliz cinco the mayo a todos los muchachos del BMWLT :toast: :yeah: Coronas, Margaritas and nachos :dance: :toast:

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Since there are a lot of misconceptions about what Cinco de Mayo is all about, here it is.
For me personally its a great excuse to go to my favorite Mexican Restaurant, eat Fajitas, and drink Corona. If the French would have won it would be overpriced wine and food that I can not pronounce... :)

The holiday of Cinco De Mayo, The 5th Of May, commemorates the victory of the Mexican militia over the French army at The Battle Of Puebla in 1862. It is primarily a regional holiday celebrated in the Mexican state
capital city of Puebla and throughout the state of Puebla, with some limited recognition in other parts of Mexico, and especially in U.S. cities with a significant Mexican population. It is not, as many people think, Mexico's Independence Day, which is actually September 16

·
Registered
444 Posts
Wolfgang said:
Since there are a lot of misconceptions about what Cinco de Mayo is all about, here it is.
For me personally its a great excuse to go to my favorite Mexican Restaurant, eat Fajitas, and drink Corona. If the French would have won it would be overpriced wine and food that I can not pronounce... :)

The holiday of Cinco De Mayo, The 5th Of May, commemorates the victory of the Mexican militia over the French army at The Battle Of Puebla in 1862. It is primarily a regional holiday celebrated in the Mexican state
capital city of Puebla and throughout the state of Puebla, with some limited recognition in other parts of Mexico, and especially in U.S. cities with a significant Mexican population. It is not, as many people think, Mexico's Independence Day, which is actually September 16
Nice reserch and links Wolfgang. Not bad for a ****** ;) :rotf: Thank you for posting this good information :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I dont care about the truth...I will forever tell people its because the Titanic sank and the Mexicans didnt get their mayo.

Everyone knows that the Mexicans were so mad about it they Bombed Pearl Harbor 30 years later.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
spinedr said:
Nice reserch and links Wolfgang. Not bad for a ****** ;) :rotf: Thank you for posting this good information :)
German born, Spanish speaking ******. Still trying to pass as a Texan. :histerica

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Had to clean my LCD screen twice this afternoon. :histerica :rotf: :histerica :rotf: Gotta stop the caffeine jolt in the afternoon!

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
On the menu tonight at home:

Ground buffalo tacos (with real handmade corn tacos FRIED in Crisco oil) There goes the heart healthy diet...

Fillings include halved tomatillos, fresh diced clilantro, low fat organic sour cream, shredded cheddar and jalapeno jack cheese, fire roasted green chile strips, fresh homemade guacamole, pico de gallo (kind of like salsa but made fresh without the salt and juice), fresh key limes for the squeezin'.

A side of black beans.

Sauza maragritas with coarse sea salt on the rim of the glass.

Ice cold Modela beer.

Los Lonely Boys on the box.

Oh yeah, it's about 80 outside in the shade, the sun is setting, and the back porch is a' callin. The neighbors are here. Bueno.

Oh yeah, some Dominican Republic Geegars and fresh flan dusted with cCinnamon for dessert.

Viva Mexico! :D

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Did notice in my travels yesterday that traffic was lighter than usual, all the construction sites only had a few folks working, mostly folks that seemed to be wondering where everybody else was at.

Guess I missed the big celebration, although my wife made fajitas for supper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts