BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Lt is a great bike and I have done some 6K on mine since new including two French tours. But-

although its a great ride and easy to handle most of the time, can anyone give me any tips on how to U turn at low speed without dropping it!!! Not dropped it yet but really don'y want to!

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Point your chin in the direction you want to go (if it be a U-turn, turn your head as far as it will go) whilst keeping your head UP (do not look down). Keep some power going, and depending on the circumstances, feather the clutch, brakes or both. Lean the bike into the turn while leaning your body into the opposite direction.

If playing some raucous song on the stereo, try not to dance to it whilst performing said maneuvers.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I've just come back from a 2500mile long weekend tour of UK/Belgium/France/Monaco/Italy/Switzerland?France?Belgium/UK.

Some of the mountain passes are rediculous, and you think WTF :eek:. The bike will always go where you're looking (be careful, not to look down into the bottom of gorges!!). Keep plenty of revs on, slip the clutch where necesary, take a good look at any approaching traffic (on some of these passes, it was nearly vertically downwards) - if it's clear, use all the road. The bike will out-handle you, the only time you might drop it is when you panic, and maybe grab the front brake, when the front wheel is turned, then it is so predictable.

I set off on a slightly scarey, huge bike, I got back to the UK on the most flickable, comfortable, sporty, enjoyable bikes you could imagine (OK, so I got used to it).

To repeat, the bike will out-perform you, show some respect, but don't be intimmidated.

Check out a few piccies in my Gallery.

Good Luck, and most of all, ENJOY!!:bmw:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Woolly,

Don't speak about steep climbs on the continent. We had to visit the Lake District last year. The "Hatdknottpass" and her brothers and sisters over there are at least as steep as those on the continent. Special when you try to climb the pass with a full loaded K12LT and some of the locals with a car turn up to you just in a U-turn on the high side of the road.
It was an experience I can tell you. On the top we had a break for half an hour.

Alle the best and greeting from Holland

Arie.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you want steep and tight roads in the UK try the Bealach Na Ba (pass of the cows) from Lochcarron to Applecross in the north west of Scotland. A steep climb followed by four tight hairpins at the top. Just to make it better it's a narrow single track road and the hairpins are tight for an LT. I wouldn't like to go down this road as you would get close to the edge with only a low barrier between you and a steep drop.
The other way out from Applecross is another single track road along the coast. Lots of curves (most of them blind) and blind summits for around 30 miles.

·
IBR# 366
16,554 Posts
Yep, those roads sure do look familiar. And for those of you reading from the 'States, those are two-way roads.

We once found a similar road somewhere in the Scottish back country, and found a sign done in dripping red paint that said rather ominously "Beware of Lambs." After the obligatory jokes about killer lambs with nasty, sharp teeth, we came over a small rise to find a lamb sprawled out right in the middle of the road. There was no room to go around, but the brakes worked very well. I had to get off the bike, and nudge the lamb out of the way with my foot. We did slow down a bit after that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts