BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
Well, the cop did bring the chase to an end, and if we accept that the punishment for trying to elude an officer is a death sentence without a trial, justice was done.

Then again, cops use a pit maneuver to try and stop cars. Is there any acceptable way to try and stop a motorcycle? How much liability lies with the cyclist, who chose to try and elude, and how much with the cop, who apparently had no problem using deadly force to end the chase.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,565 Posts
That's no way for an officer to use his vehicle to stop a chase with a motorcycle. And the person who got the worst end of it (she's in rehab learning to talk again after severe head trauma) was the bike's passenger who had no control over the situation. Even the pursuing officer asked him what he was thinking. He should be fired, minimally. With that video you know a massive civil suit will be coming.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,875 Posts
Nothing Wrong?

Quoted from the newspaper article:

"Officer William Allen has been identified as the officer who swerved into the motorcycle. He was suspended for 60 days after the crash for violating department policy. Another officer at the scene, who has not been identified, was suspended for 15 days by Chief Benjamin."

I don't understand why the officers were suspended for 15 and 60 days if they did nothing wrong.

For running a red light, why not, if the license plate can be read, just stop the chase and mail a ticket to the offender? Seems that the chase just compounds the problem. Innocent people get hurt. If the officer stops the chase, for a minor traffic violation, the reckless driving is diminished. Maybe I'm just being naive!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,337 Posts
I'm surprised that we don't just let people shoot people and then run away then. What's the criteria for enforcing the law? A monetary amount? A personal connection to the criminal(s)? It's pretty simple really, you break the law, you pay the price. If the law you broke was running a red light, and then you pulled over.. you pay the price = ticket. You want to engage an officer in pursuit, you pay the price. Although in this case, that officer is REALLY lucky that bike and passengers didn't come flying through his windshield and kill him instantly. I do feel sorry for the girl on the back, but the only person who is responsible for her injuries is the asshat who ran, NOT the officers who made him stop before he killed or injured some other innocent person (s). The right thing to do is to pull that guys license for the rest of his life and put him in jail for a couple decades for endangering the public. Overwhelming lethal force should be used immediately to stop any vehicle that engages in pursuit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,435 Posts
KMC1 said:
I'm surprised that we don't just let people shoot people and then run away then. What's the criteria for enforcing the law? A monetary amount? A personal connection to the criminal(s)? It's pretty simple really, you break the law, you pay the price. If the law you broke was running a red light, and then you pulled over.. you pay the price = ticket. You want to engage an officer in pursuit, you pay the price. Although in this case, that officer is REALLY lucky that bike and passengers didn't come flying through his windshield and kill him instantly. I do feel sorry for the girl on the back, but the only person who is responsible for her injuries is the asshat who ran, NOT the officers who made him stop before he killed or injured some other innocent person (s). The right thing to do is to pull that guys license for the rest of his life and put him in jail for a couple decades for endangering the public. Overwhelming lethal force should be used immediately to stop any vehicle that engages in pursuit.
Kevin, I think your button has been pushed again... ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,875 Posts
OVERWHELMING FORSE for running a red light!

BMWphreak said:
Kevin, I think your button has been pushed again... ;)
Come on....... lighten up a little. What if a member of your family was killed during a pursuit? Would you be so caviler? I don't think so. Sometime a little discretion allows a situation to cool off and be handled a little more civilized... People get hurt by those who run red lights occasionally but not time. Use some discretion, maybe....?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
568 Posts
Looks to me like the cops was in the wrong lane, going the wrong direction and then aimed the car directly at the bike. What gives him that right to cause that kind of injury for a normal red light voilation..? Even if they do not get him, they probally had the plate number and coculd go directly to that persons home and arrest or cite him.

Here comes Mark Gergragos.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,291 Posts
DaveDragon said:
Pasco County SD has a No Chase Policy for Motorcycles to prevent disasters like this.
I like that, if I want to rob the bank, I'll be sure to use my motorcycle.
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
16,535 Posts
You're obviously unfamiliar with the concept of "reasonable force".

I say that we go whole hog here. Many riders carry, why don't we just start enforcing the laws ourselves? Someone cut you off? - just run them into the barrier. Idiot on cell phone doing 10 under in the fast lane? - go ahead and bump them out of the way. Cops too slow to respond to someone running red lights? - just shoot them yourself. After all, we don't need these kind of morons on the road, and we're actually making it safer for the rest of the normal drivers.

Yeah, that'll work.

For the record, the bike rider who ran is responsible for his actions and for endangering his passenger. But the cop who rammed him is directly responsible for the injuries caused and needs to be held directly accountable.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,875 Posts
Are you serious?

Big_E said:
I like that, if I want to rob the bank, I'll be sure to use my motorcycle.
Can't see the difference between robbing a bank and running a red light? Guess it's best ( I hope) that you are not a law enforcement officer!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,337 Posts
meese said:
You're obviously unfamiliar with the concept of "reasonable force".

I say that we go whole hog here. Many riders carry, why don't we just start enforcing the laws ourselves? Someone cut you off? - just run them into the barrier. Idiot on cell phone doing 10 under in the fast lane? - go ahead and bump them out of the way. Cops too slow to respond to someone running red lights? - just shoot them yourself. After all, we don't need these kind of morons on the road, and we're actually making it safer for the rest of the normal drivers.

Yeah, that'll work.

For the record, the bike rider who ran is responsible for his actions and for endangering his passenger. But the cop who rammed him is directly responsible for the injuries caused and needs to be held directly accountable.
Ahhhh.... You're totally hopeless. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,337 Posts
dandiver said:
Come on....... lighten up a little. What if a member of your family was killed during a pursuit? Would you be so caviler? I don't think so. Sometime a little discretion allows a situation to cool off and be handled a little more civilized... People get hurt by those who run red lights occasionally but not time. Use some discretion, maybe....?
I really don't see what's cavalier about my opinion on this. It's not the red-light violation that I have the problem with. It's the engaging in pursuit while piloting a missle through traffic part that I have a problem with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,337 Posts
dandiver said:
Can't see the difference between robbing a bank and running a red light? Guess it's best ( I hope) that you are not a law enforcement officer!
This goes directly back to my original post. What's the criteria we should use? Monetary? So catching someone who just stole some money, is more important than stopping someone who is blazing through traffic on a missle? I disagree.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,565 Posts
KMC1 said:
I'm surprised that we don't just let people shoot people and then run away then. What's the criteria for enforcing the law? A monetary amount? A personal connection to the criminal(s)? It's pretty simple really, you break the law, you pay the price. If the law you broke was running a red light, and then you pulled over.. you pay the price = ticket. You want to engage an officer in pursuit, you pay the price. Although in this case, that officer is REALLY lucky that bike and passengers didn't come flying through his windshield and kill him instantly. I do feel sorry for the girl on the back, but the only person who is responsible for her injuries is the asshat who ran, NOT the officers who made him stop before he killed or injured some other innocent person (s). The right thing to do is to pull that guys license for the rest of his life and put him in jail for a couple decades for endangering the public. Overwhelming lethal force should be used immediately to stop any vehicle that engages in pursuit.
You're way off here, buddy. Putting a 4500 lb. police car intentionally in the path of a 450 lb motorcycle is not a reasonable use of force. Yes, evading the police is wrong and stupid. But I'm fairly certain that the use of lethal force isn't approved for that infraction alone. Even couple that with running a red light and you havne't compounded this into a lethal force situation. The goal is to difuse and end the situation, not compound it and kill people. If they had established a roadblock and were stopped waiting for him to approach and he hit the car, that's one thing, But what this guy did was wrong.
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top