BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In these cold tempartures I'm having a hard time keeping my hands warm, seems like no glove does the trick. The heated grips help but it's not enough.

I've seen some people have a pocket like thing that goes around the grips and you just put your hand inside, anyone try that with the LT?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Caveno said:
In these cold tempartures I'm having a hard time keeping my hands warm, seems like no glove does the trick. The heated grips help but it's not enough.

I've seen some people have a pocket like thing that goes around the grips and you just put your hand inside, anyone try that with the LT?

They are called "hippo hands". Pastor Jack gave me a set as a gift a few years back, I use mine regularly from December till March time frame. riding home this morning, the temp was 24 at places, I had the grips on and a pair of light gloves and hands were toasty.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Wow I've sometimes thought the heated grips put out too much heat. Anyway have you thought of heated gloves?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
A pair of silk glove liners will keep your hands comfortable for an extra 10 to 15*. Snowmobile gloves are warmer than M/C gloves. I'm good to about 20* with the silk liners, gauntlet snowmobile gloves and grip warmers. My snowmobile gloves say "GoreTex" but don't have a brand name on them. I've had them 10 or 12 years.

I wear a size larger in winter so that my fingers aren't squished against the glove fingers.

Electric gloves would be SWEEEEET!

·
Registered
426 Posts
+1 on the hippo hands. Use them regularly on my GS. I do not like bulky gloves and I don't want to purchase another pair of gloves. Hippo Hands let me run the grips on high for a few minutes to get the chill out of the grips and gloves and then run on low for the rest of my commute. On Wed rode to work and temp was 10. Grips on low with regular Held Steve gloves and hands were toasty warm. Other benefit is in the rain, gloves stay dry.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
+1 on the "hippo". They really work, but you need to know where all your buttons are as it hides everything on the handle bars. As stated above, I don't like bulky winter gloves either. Solved my cold hand problem too.

:bmw: :bmw: :bmw: :dance:

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Better than hippo hands!

I have been fighting this battle for a while and have finally found the answer.

Now for the disclaimer.....they are not necessarily beautiful but functional.

I have been using Gerbing glove liners for a few years now and love them down to about 40 degrees. Below that they were a bit less than adequate unless they were covered by a top glove. I have some problems with my hands and the additional bulk was not satisfactory for riding and pushing buttons on the GPS.

I decided to experiment with a light weight non restrictive cover for the liners. The thought of mittens came to mind so I went online and found a pattern for mittens. We went to Hancock's fabric store and purchased 1/2 yard of Fleece Outerware that has a inner wind proof lining. I shortened the pattern so that they would be straight and easy to put over the liners.

The results surprised me. I wore them in 24 degrees and my hands were far warmer that the jacket liner was providing. I would estimate 3 times as warm as the glove liners alone. I rode 200+ miles and I had to turn the heat off from time to time. No problems pushing the buttons on the GPS and in the rain this morning they got wet on the outside but dry inside.

Pictures attached:

Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, heated grips only work down to a certain temperature.

Have used something similar to hippo hands in the past, but didn't think they still existed.

Anyway, I've ordered some heated gloves from gerbing to go with my heated insoles. They've not arrived yet though. Will post feedback when I've tried them.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I bought a pair of Held "storm" gloves off E bay for winter riding. That particular model isn't a true winter glove but I've used them in temps down in the 20's and they kept my hands warm with the heated grips.
They also make some real winter gloves.http://www.heldusa.com/

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
I use a pair of snowmobile handle bar gauntlets I got for $20 & modified for the LT. Now if I could only keep my toes from freezing. I don't want to go to electric.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
G3 Gerbing electric gloves. Thin enough to have a good touch on the handlebars, but electric so they keep the mitts toasty warm. Outstanding.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies.

How do people wire the electric gloves? Just run a cable from the 12v socket or something custom?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Caveno said:

How do people wire the electric gloves? Just run a cable from the 12v socket or something custom?
Most people plug the gloves into a connection at the ends of their heated jacket liner arms. If using just gloves (no jacket liner), you could probably run wires from inside jacket down sleeve to gloves.

·
Registered
407 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Caveno said:

If you purchase the Gerbing gloves they come with a Y harness that goes through your jacket sleeves.

By far the best setup is the Gerbing jacket liner and gloves so that you can plug into the sleeves of the liner and do away with that Y harness.

As for plugging into the bike, they also have a BMW style connector that allows you to use the 12V socket on the bike with either an inline switch or a Temp controller.

If you do not specify BMW connector, you get a wiring harness that goes directly to the battery with an inline fuse.

Ron

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have a set of these...... http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-151-watershed-motormitts.aspx ...they're made in Oregon by the folks who make the ones for most MOTOR units. A lot has gone into them....so they're NOT cheap.....and they won't soak up water like some of the others mentioned here. Because they're NOT designed for LT's, you may have to install some aftermarket mirrors as they do cut-off the inside corners of the OEM mirrors. I might end up having to punch a hole in them so I can install some mirrors next to the grips.....but of course you could always turn your head to check things out anyway, eh? But they're definately on the NICE side of things...............

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have a set of gloves that are designed by BMW. They are supposed to have some kind of NASA designed liners that reflect the heat from your hands back into your hands. These liners are sewn into the gloves. I don't remember what they are called as I've had them since 2001. But I must say they work. I have had my fingers get a little chilled but flexing my fingers a few times brought back the warmth right away. I don't even use the heated grips. I hope someone can chime in with the name of these gloves. They work real well.

The ones on the BMW site are called ProWinter 2. I'm not sure if these are the same as mine but look to be good ones.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts