BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out looking at bikes this morning and I spotted a used 2006 R1200RT which was sitting three bikes away from a new 2011 RT.

I looked over both bikes and the biggest thing that drew my attention was that the clutch and brake reservoirs are soooo cheap-looking on the newer models as are the handgrips and housings for the switches and pushbuttons. I'd read complaints about this very thing before on these types of forums and now I'd have to say that I have to agree with those sentiments.

Since I've yet to score a BMW motorcycle for myself, I don't mind the idea of BMW going with the common 3-position turn signal switch on the left side, that's what I'm already used to anyway. But did they have to go with this cheaper-looking setup?

The best bike that I've spotted so far is a lightly used 2007 with many extras on it, top case and all.

Was 2009 the last year with the the conventional RT handlebar switchgear and hangrips?

I know that this is only a cosmetic thing and kind of trivial and maybe some people even prefer this new look and design but to my eye, it looks like a step down in quality on a bike that's regarded as a top-shelf luxury motorcycle.

Does this strike a chord with anybody else here or am I being a bit harsh on BMW?

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Who/where are you?
Thought you were "inheriting" an LT?

"If you followed any of my previous posts on here, you'll know that my wife and I are inheriting my father-in-law's 2009 K1200LT (yeah I know, we still can't get our heads around this either)".

Lotsa questions after 37 posts, but . . .????

If we knew where you are someone could come over and tell you personally what ya need to know. ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, if you seen posts that came along soon after that, at the last minute, the LT went to somebody else in the family and I honestly couldn't be happier for them, they're loving it.

I think that the RT is much more up my alley anyways, when sitting on it, it feels way more manageable and is probably more fun to throw around too. Plus I like the overall looks of the RT better, even with the newer style handlebar switchgear. :D

I wouldn't pass up a 2010-2011 RT just because of my whine about the switch gear, apparently, they've bumped up the power some and that has to be a good thing.

It's just easier to get a more sensibly priced bike when you get something a few years old, so that's probably what I'll be shooting for.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
May be it's time to eliminate or get off the porcelain disposal device. If you like the RT, get one you can afford. I ended up getting a 2009 leftover and I am fine with that even if the newer bikes come with a little more or slightly better performance. As the Nike commercial says, just do it. You'll feel a lot better.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I got the 2010 and have never regretted it. The dealer gave me a 2009 to take home when I took my bike in for service, I didn't like the taller first gear, the windshield, and never once noticed any difference in the switch gear or the look of the resevoirs. I am sure that I would have got used to the '09 with enough miles on it, but comparing the two, I preferred the 2010.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The new switchgear looks similar to that on the 2009 K1300 GT, where some riders experienced problems, strandings and ultimately a NTHSA recall due to the switches. Never hear about problems with the new RT gear, so must have been corrected before being installed on 2010+ RT's. That said, I agree that the new switchgear (and reservoirs for that matter) look and feel cheap and unfinished. Change does not always bring improvement.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
To answer one of your questions, yes, the 2009 RT was the last year they had the old style switchgear. It is quite different. Their motorcycle version of iDrive seemed not completely thought out. May be I am wrong, but I don't know if trying to turn a wheel with my left thumb is what I want to be doing when I ride.

Humbucker said:
I was out looking at bikes this morning and I spotted a used 2006 R1200RT which was sitting three bikes away from a new 2011 RT.

I looked over both bikes and the biggest thing that drew my attention was that the clutch and brake reservoirs are soooo cheap-looking on the newer models as are the handgrips and housings for the switches and pushbuttons. I'd read complaints about this very thing before on these types of forums and now I'd have to say that I have to agree with those sentiments.

Since I've yet to score a BMW motorcycle for myself, I don't mind the idea of BMW going with the common 3-position turn signal switch on the left side, that's what I'm already used to anyway. But did they have to go with this cheaper-looking setup?

The best bike that I've spotted so far is a lightly used 2007 with many extras on it, top case and all.

Was 2009 the last year with the the conventional RT handlebar switchgear and hangrips?

I know that this is only a cosmetic thing and kind of trivial and maybe some people even prefer this new look and design but to my eye, it looks like a step down in quality on a bike that's regarded as a top-shelf luxury motorcycle.

Does this strike a chord with anybody else here or am I being a bit harsh on BMW?

·
Registered
69 Posts
My experience is that the new switchgear is not as robust as the previous style. I traded my 04 CL for a 2010 RT and never had a failure on the CL. On my left switch module the horn button and the high/low beam failed around 2000 miles. The light switch did not fail completely like the horn, it just would not stay on high beam unless you kept pressure on it.
Had it changed, It takes over an hour for the replacement. The new switch high/low beam started failing after two weeks (I ride every day to work at 5 am so am using the switch regularly). I'm 3 1/2 hrs from dealer so a visit is an all day affair and a burnt vacation day, so I "patched" the switch with a rubber band and it works fine, but looks like crap, looks like a rubber band will last about a month before you have to get a new one.
I've got 5 years of warranty, so maybe I'll get it changed again and hope they issue a revision.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts