Discussion Starter #1
Press to answer if the phone is ringing
Press twice to decline the call if the phone is ringing
Press to hang up if on a call
Press to play/pause music when not on a call
Double-press for next track
Triple-press for previous track
Press and hold to activate voice control

The switch is a basic marine (waterproof) single pole momentary toggle. The connections to the phone and the Autocom system are cables I took from a Gigaware iPhone headset adapter (the Android and Palm smartphones are the same), Radio Shack part number 3706765. They had them on sale for $8, I think regular price is $15. Any four-conductor audio plug and cable should work, but this cable is ideal in several ways. The bolt just goes in the unused mirror mounting hole on the switchgear.

Autocom wired their side backwards on the mic/ground however, so you have to cross the yellow and green wires. The yellow and green go to the switch, and shorting them activates the functions above.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Great information, some more wiring detail would be appreciated especially for the Autocom. One could use any type of momentary switch from what you describe.....hmm might take a radio shack miniature normally open momentary and it would then be much smaller. please show the pin details Thanks, Kieth

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went with a large switch on purpose so I could hit it easily without looking. It's also waterproof, and I found no waterproof momentary switches at my local Radio Shack.

Wiring guide for the phone:
Tip - Speaker
Ring - Speaker
Ring - Ground
Barrel - Microphone

Wiring guide for the Autocom:
Tip - Speaker
Ring - Speaker
Ring - Microphone
Barrel - Ground

The cords I used had yellow and green for the ground and mic. I simply connected the yellow from one cord to the green on the other. Both are connected to the switch, so the switch shorts them out, sending the signal to the phone.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and today was my first day of normal commuting riding with this installed. Awesome improvement in using the phone for music and as a phone.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I understand that you are shorting out ground to mike, but i thought both leads had to be still connected through the wire all the time... and temporarily grounded to answer etc. Is that how you did it ?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the mic and ground are always connected straight through, and the switch merely shorts them. I connected both the phone and Autocom side to each of the two switch connectors.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Clever outcome, Carlos. Glad to see you worked out your specific needs!
Think we get a bit too much rain in Sydney to put the Iphone out there in the open unfortunately, otherwise I would be asking more questions about the wiring setup!
cheers

·
IBR# 366
16,554 Posts
Nice job, Carlos. I like the big waterproof switch for this application, but wish they had smaller waterproof switches for lights and other accessories.

As for waterproofing the iPhone, I just ordered one of these. We'll see how well it works once it gets here, but the reviews are pretty good on it . . .

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are a few waterproofing options for the iPhone out there, the question would be whether you can fit the headphone connector with the phone in the case and retain its waterproof seal. Another simple option is a plastic bag over the phone if it rains. We get very few rain days here, so that's probably my preferred option. I have a nice waterproof case from RAM also, but it doesn't work with touchscreens (too thick), only with the pressure-type screens like on GPS units and older phones.

Ken, how do you plan to mount that case on your LT? Please let me know how you like this case and particularly the answer to the question on the audio connector.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
but wish they had smaller waterproof switches for lights and other accessories.
You can buy waterproof covers for small and micro toggle switches. That's probably the best way to come up with a multi-device power panel for a bike. I saw a photo of a power panel attached to the right bar on the LT somewhere on this forum, but I forgot which thread. Looked to be professionally made.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts