BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 09 LT with 5000 miles on it and I was riding to work this morning. I was traveling 45 mph and a flat straight road and I took my hands off the bars, which I have done several times and for extended amount of time. The bars started slapping from left to right fast. I grabbed ahold of them to stop it and it did. Any thought of WTF

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
A "normal" LT phenomenon.

Check the steering damper but at 5000 miles it should be OK.

I suspect your front tire is "cupped". Do you feel a vibration or hear a rumble when banked over in a turn?

Only fix is a new tire, watch your pressures. I run 44 front and 48 rear (50with passenger) and cupping has been minimal.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dougholck said:
A "normal" LT phenomenon.

Check the steering damper but at 5000 miles it should be OK.

I suspect your front tire is "cupped". Do you feel a vibration or hear a rumble when banked over in a turn?

Only fix is a new tire, watch your pressures. I run 44 front and 48 rear (50with passenger) and cupping has been minimal.

How do you check the steering damper. Just look to see if it is leaking fluid? Yes my tire is cupped. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Had that issue with the 02, not with the 07 yet. Was more noticeable the more wear on the front. Even cupped, the front can be re-balanced, which (for me) always cured any wobble. A couple guys I know took more than visit to get the balance done right, so be persistent if you need to.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Highly unlikely the steering damper is an issue,it is not a known failure item on the LT.

Read this ENTIRE article to find out what is really going on and keep your tire pressure at 42 front, 48 rear and you should not have the problem again:

http://www.rattlebars.com/valkfaq/tirewear/

Unfortunately once your front tire is scalloped the only cure is to replace it with a new one.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Tire pressures okay?

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
grassman09 said:
I had 36 psi my bad
I've ran 44 front & 46 Rear for over 40,000 miles and will ware out a front tire before I notice much cupping. I've never had the tank-slap on this bike.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, dyna-beads will elimate a lot that crap, plus the 42/48 others have mentioned.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Razmataz said:
Contrary to popular belief, dyna-beads will elimate a lot that crap, plus the 42/48 others have mentioned.
I aired my tires up and still tank slap. Ordered new ME 0880

·
Registered
83 Posts
Unfortunately Dyna beads and pressures at 42 and 46 did nothing to eliminate the propensity for mine to do that tank slap thang between 45 and 50 :(

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yes... 42/48 and you really should check for cupping. However, regardless of tire pressure and cupping, the best way to eliminate the head shake is to KEEP YOUR HANDS ON THE GRIPS! :thumb:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
razman10 said:
Yes... 42/48 and you really should check for cupping. However, regardless of tire pressure and cupping, the best way to eliminate the head shake is to KEEP YOUR HANDS ON THE GRIPS! :thumb:
You sound like my wife :histerica

·
Registered
541 Posts
grassman09 said:
You sound like my wife :histerica
Sounds like she's a smart woman! :p

·
Registered
437 Posts
Steering damper can be checked by turning the front end all the way right and left. Then start doing it faster.....when you reach a certain point, you'll feel a bit of a "bump" and the movement will be slightly stiffer. How much stiffer is good.....I do not know....but if it's there, you should be good.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have an '03 LT and have the same issue.
I have read that it is not unique to BMW's but I can't say for sure.
I run 44psi front and 48psi rear.
For me, it seems no matter what I do, once the tire shows wear,
I have to make sure I hold on the the handle bars.
As soon as I get new tires... Issue resolved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had the same issue after putting new tires on. Turns out the dealer put a bias ply on the front tire. Always put steel belted tires on, solved the problem.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I had/have the same issue since my bike was new. You can search some of my early threads on the same topic. I reported it to the service manager at the dealer and discussed it with another service manager at a different dealer. Both basically said the same thing: "don't take your hands off the grips." Despite feeling offended, it was sound advice even though it tacitly acknowledges a design defect.

I exchanged wheels/tires with my brothers '2002 LT one afternoon because I thought for sure it was a tire defect. It did the same thing. I lived with the head shake thinking that it would go away when I changed tires. I changed tires last year at about 12K. The rear was shot, the front had tread with very minor cupping if any.

I mounted and balanced the tires myself assuring that everything was perfect. 42psi front, 48 rear.

I still have a head shake when coasting/gently decelerating between 43 to 40.

To make a short story a little longer - According to the second service manager that I had a heated discussion with, the phenomenon is more prevalent in the post '2004 LTs because BMW changed the rake of the paralever front suspension to improve low speed handling. I'm kinda thinking that they weren't successful because I think 40mph is low speed. A little ironic?

I hope your problem is solved with a new tire. It seems some of the head shake problems are cured and others, like mine, haven't been (yet, I hope).

Bye the way, I really like the LT despite the head shake.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts