BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Technician License and was wondering if it was practical/possible to hook up my Icom T90A to the Autocom. Any hams out there with ideas or experience in doing something like that?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Kenwood HT with the factory patch cord works fine on my '03. Need to use an external antenna away from the electronics in the sting ray or else you get a lot of noise.

Pretty sure others on here have done exactly what you want to do with good success.

Don't use it hardly ever as my wife is not a Ham and does not care to listen to conversation while riding, factory juke box gets used a lot.

de KF4LQT

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Chuck,
I've used my Rat Shack Handi's (2M & 440) with the Autocom Icom plug and PTT for a local parade. Even the local LEO"S were impressed with my 4 way flashers & fluorescent yellow vest.

However, when touring you are usually out of range of a repeater very quickly unless you have a "great" antenna system and since the LT frame really isn't a good ground plane, the RF doesn't get too far.

They do work well well though for group rides with other licensed hams.

N8QZ

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Looks like I will put that project on the back burner until I can talk a few of the guys into taking the test as well.

KF5IIP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

Bough my K1200LT yesterday, its model 2006 with 18000kms ( I gave up GL1800 model 2001).
I am a keen ham radio eperator OH2KW, next thing would be to assemble Yaesu FT-10R to the bike. Or as the season is finishing, at least during the coming winter....
As I am very new with K1200LT, I wonder, does it have somewhere a place for this kind of unit (control head is a separate one). I do not want to spent luggage space for the radio if not absolutely necessary. My bike has not any intercom, only standard radio with CD-player. How can you connect the ham gear to the audio system ? And How could I get my Gl1800 helmet headset to the LT's audio system (at least to listen to radio or CD with the headset speakers).
IS there 2006 LT schematics available somewhere, also a repair manual would be good (I found only
1999 manual so far).

br, Arto

PS. For hams: worked juts few hundreds A, N, K, W stations in SAC test !

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Hi I have my Yaesu FT 7800 on my bike hooked up to my autocom .. I made a plate to mount on the rack on top of rear box to mount my antenna on and grounded it to the frame. Works great. Jim KD6REA

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've got a Yaesu FT2800M that I can listen to through my Autocom, but have'n't figured out how to use a PTT. I got out very well by using the mic from the radio next to my mouth (using my left hand). I put a steel plate on my luggage rack so I had a good groundplane.
Any electronic gurus out that that can help me?

Gary D :bmw:

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
In the manual for the radio it tells witch wire is ptt and mic then hook up to autocom. I got a icom gmrs cable and hooked it up to that and have used it for 5 years. I little experimenting with mic wires well get it done. Jim KD6REA

1 - 9 of 9 Posts