BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:

I have a 2009 K1200LT with the voice II system. I also have the AM-FM/CD player, CB radio, IPOD, satellite and cell phone. I noticed that there are two jacks for the FRS/GRMS radios which use the Kenwood style connector.

I was contemplating using my Yaesu Vx-8R handheld or Yaesu Ft-7900 mobile with a detachable control panel. my riding companions all use ham radios not the other style or CB. I am requesting suggestions. This site has been real helpful on a number of issues,

Thanks in advance

Jay Keeran
K6LJK

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
I still contend that with the eclectic group riding these things that there is nothing that has not been done before. That said, this should get you started. Search the archives and there is most likely more to be read...

Good luck... :wave

tholdroaddog said:
Hello All:

I have a 2009 K1200LT with the voice II system. I also have the AM-FM/CD player, CB radio, IPOD, satellite and cell phone. I noticed that there are two jacks for the FRS/GRMS radios which use the Kenwood style connector.

I was contemplating using my Yaesu Vx-8R handheld or Yaesu Ft-7900 mobile with a detachable control panel. my riding companions all use ham radios not the other style or CB. I am requesting suggestions. This site has been real helpful on a number of issues,

Thanks in advance

Jay Keeran
K6LJK

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have made several adapter cables for my 2002 LT to use with Ham handi-talkies & FRS radios ( for riding with my non-ham buddies ). I don't know if the later model LT's use the same Comm system but if they do you could make your own too. Mine has a 6pin mini-DIN connector & a switch to choose which radio the PTT switch operates, so all a fellow has to do is make (or buy) the appropriate cable. I'm going to try & include some .pdf files showing the pinouts for various FRS radio's. If you know what your particular radio need's, you can modify for a Ham HT from them. That's what I did. I have used an 'Alinco' & an old 'Standard' brand HT on my bike. Both of them use the same adapter as they had the same speaker/mic configuration. If your Comm system is different, this probably won't be much help but here it is.

PS: Not responsible for accidents, damages, injuries or unwanted children due to the use of this information

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts