BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the Brake flush done on my 2002 k1200lt today. The problem I have is it is throwing a code showing that the brake level is low, but the reservoir is full. We checked everything to make sure that the sensor was working, and it seems to be. I'm getting the wig wag flash from brake light, and the red triangle. Has this happened to anyone else? If so how did you fix it? Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
49 Posts
did you check both reservoirs in the back under the seat? I was getting the wig wag and filled the big one in the back but didn't check the smaller one. Fill it to the max level and lights went out. To get to the smaller one you will have to remove the plastic next to it to get to easier. It doesn't take much to fill it up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bloodhound said:
did you check both reservoirs in the back under the seat? I was getting the wig wag and filled the big one in the back but didn't check the smaller one. Fill it to the max level and lights went out. To get to the smaller one you will have to remove the plastic next to it to get to easier. It doesn't take much to fill it up.

Yes,both of the reservoirs were checked. Also,put in a new battery and still got the same error. Also checked load on battery and it was fine .. Forgot to mention earlier this is happening when I turn the key on,and after the brake failure light flashes a couple times it goes to the wig wag. Thanks

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Add fluid anyway until it is right at the top of both chambers. Those sensors are very sensitive and a teaspoon of fluid will make a difference.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jzeiler said:
Add fluid anyway until it is right at the top of both chambers. Those sensors are very sensitive and a teaspoon of fluid will make a difference.
Thanks, I will fill it up as much as I can as soon as I get a chance. It maybe Fri. Before I get to, thanks...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok guys I've filled all the reservoirs all the way up, and have even bleed the brakes again, and still getting the wig wag. Anybody have any other ideas. Thanks...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am having the same problem with brake light wig waging, Had certified BMW mechanic look at and he could not get the light off. No faults recorded, disconnected battery checked lights in back. Nothing has worked. Mine is 05 LT ABS

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MYAGER said:
I am having the same problem with brake light wig waging, Had certified BMW mechanic look at and he could not get the light off. No faults recorded, disconnected battery checked lights in back. Nothing has worked. Mine is 05 LT ABS
I know what you mean. What upsets me is I had the break flush done to keep this from happening. I bought the bike about a month ago, and worried I have got a lemon. I love the bike and how it rides, but this drives me crazy. Mine is an 02...

I ready to take the black tape and put over the lights... :)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Just to make sure we know which wig wag you are getting. When you first turn on the key you should get a very fast flash until it completes its first set of tests. During this test you cannot apply the brakes or the test will not complete. Leave it in gear with the brakes off on a slope until the fast flash goes to slow. Then you can apply brakes and pull in the clutch to start the engine. The slow flash will continue until you drive a few feet and it completes the rolling test of the ABS sensors. Then they should go out.

The only thing I know is the fluid sensors to cause a continued flash. There may be a wiring fault in the sensor line causing it to sense low when it isn't. That is the only thing left to check. ( if the wheel sensors had been bad they would have set a code for the dealer to pull).

For the guy with the 05 you do know that the monitored reservoirs are ON the ABS unit and they are black so you have to open the cap to check the level. Usually on the 05 and up if you are getting the wig wag your pads are worn and that has lowered the fluid level.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jzeiler said:
Just to make sure we know which wig wag you are getting. When you first turn on the key you should get a very fast flash until it completes its first set of tests. During this test you cannot apply the brakes or the test will not complete. Leave it in gear with the brakes off on a slope until the fast flash goes to slow. Then you can apply brakes and pull in the clutch to start the engine. The slow flash will continue until you drive a few feet and it completes the rolling test of the ABS sensors. Then they should go out.

The only thing I know is the fluid sensors to cause a continued flash. There may be a wiring fault in the sensor line causing it to sense low when it isn't. That is the only thing left to check. ( if the wheel sensors had been bad they would have set a code for the dealer to pull).

For the guy with the 05 you do know that the monitored reservoirs are ON the ABS unit and they are black so you have to open the cap to check the level. Usually on the 05 and up if you are getting the wig wag your pads are worn and that has lowered the fluid level.
When I turn the key on, brake failure comes on and flashes to do the test, when the test is complete I get the brake Failure light and triangle light rotate on and off like a wig wag.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
monkeeman said:
When I turn the key on, brake failure comes on and flashes to do the test, when the test is complete I get the brake Failure light and triangle light rotate on and off like a wig wag.

Does the wig wag stay on as you drive down the road?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
OK. The only fault that causes the wig wag is the low fluid fault. So either the sensors (there is one on each half of the reservoir) are stuck or a wire is shorted, if you have fully topped off both the chambers in the rear reservoir.

Mapsource shows you are about 200 miles from here coming down Hyway 90 to TN then through Livingston and Cookville, etc. Might be a nice ride and I'll see if I can figure out a fix for your problem some weekend.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jzeiler said:
OK. The only fault that causes the wig wag is the low fluid fault. So either the sensors (there is one on each half of the reservoir) are stuck or a wire is shorted, if you have fully topped off both the chambers in the rear reservoir.

Mapsource shows you are about 200 miles from here coming down Hyway 90 to TN then through Livingston and Cookville, etc. Might be a nice ride and I'll see if I can figure out a fix for your problem some weekend.
That sounds like a good idea, I'm not sure when I can. I've sending you a pm.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, guys thought I would update everyone, and get your opinion on this. I took my bike to BMW in Louisville on Friday, and they hooked it up to there computer and there computer said the same thing low brake fluid. So at first they said it could be the abs pump, but they also said that usually if the pump was out, or going out that it would show a code on the computer. So they seem to think that the. Floaters are bad in my brake fluid container. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this, or if it has happened to anyone. Thanks for your info and input.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I've not heard of the floaters being bad...but certainly would be what I would focus on since everything else is normal. As mentioned b4, check them and make sure they're not stuck or shorted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reid said:
I've not heard of the floaters being bad...but certainly would be what I would focus on since everything else is normal. As mentioned b4, check them and make sure they're not stuck or shorted.
According to what they told me Friday they checked all that. So hopefully a new reservoir will do the trick. Thanks....

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Easy to check the float switches. They should be open with the fluid low and closed with the fluid high. Put a meter across the terminals on the ohms scale.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts