BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

H7 bulb for the 05...100 Watt OK?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  davemoore 
#1 ·
I found a replacement bulb the H7 the low beam in Xenon at 100 watts and 3000 Candlepower rating. Could this be too much or too hot for the 05 low beam?

#2 ·
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

There have been a few damaged reflector/lens systems in the past, and those were with GLASS lenses. The higher heat drives plasticizers out of the plastic, hazing the reflector and inside of the lens, which is practically impossible to clean well.

I did run a 70 watt clear halogen and 85 watt high beam on my '01 with no problems, but I certainly would go no higher than that, especially since the '05 low beam lens is PLASTIC. I eventually switched to HID low beam, makes all other attempts pale in comparison, in more ways than one. :D

#5 ·
S2DOG said:
Thanks a lot Dave. I have placed an order and coinsidently I needed higher wattage bulbs for the Jeep so I picked up a couple of those as well.

Great Pricing I must Say!! :)
No problemo - great pricing indeed ($10-$12 each). I've had good luck with these bulbs - last as long as any. I just looked at bulb prices in the Whitehorse Press catalog (gag, choke). $49 for an H7. H3's run between $25 and $64 depending.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.