BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All;

OK Dont all jump on me. no matter how much I look I can only find low beam headlight upgrades. I Have HID H7 installed already, the 1st thing I did on the bike within the first week.
But how about the high beams. I was thinking LED, but have heard beam trouble, space trouble, heat trouble.
Or Just stay with halogen, i did upgrade to Philips halogen 5000k, which work fine, but maybe an upgrade.

Thoughts?

Zeke

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
Hey All;

OK Dont all jump on me. no matter how much I look I can only find low beam headlight upgrades. I Have HID H7 installed already, the 1st thing I did on the bike within the first week.
But how about the high beams. I was thinking LED, but have heard beam trouble, space trouble, heat trouble.
Or Just stay with halogen, i did upgrade to Philips halogen 5000k, which work fine, but maybe an upgrade.

Thoughts?

Zeke
No troubles at all with LED. There had been several threads on the subject, so look for them for full information. To cut to the chase, get the H1 LED bulbs with the braided copper heat sink and you will be quite fine. Quite inexpensive, and better than the HID.

Reactions: wvandennoort

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No troubles at all with LED. There had been several threads on the subject, so look for them for full information. To cut to the chase, get the H1 LED bulbs with the braided copper heat sink and you will be quite fine. Quite inexpensive, and better than the HID.
Thanks;

i tried all the search titles i could think of and never could zero in on the H1.
So on the LEDs you had no space issue? Basically plug and Play?

zeke

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
I have to admit that most of the discussions were on the H7 LED, but H1 had been mentioned. Andy (bandytales) and Terry (realshelby) had converted both of their high beam and low beam to LED. For both, you do want to select the type with the braided copper heat sink. The whole thing, including the electronic module will fit inside of the wethead headlight housing. The copper braids can be spread out, and from what they had reported, the heat rise will be relatively low, and will not come close to being an issue.

I haven't done the conversion myself, and may take that on as a winter project. It was suggested that you can make a really neat job of the installation if you remove the headlight assembly from the bike, to do the installation, and that's why I am thinking of doing it in winter. OTOH, I may leave things alone on my RT if I think that I might get the 1250 RT in early 2020!

No Canbus errors with these, and so you could say that it's plug-and-play!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm running the H7 low beam version of this brand. Everything has been great, no issues at all. I'd recommend these if you are going LED.

H1 Plus LED Headlight - ADVmonster
Did you do your high beams with these bulbs as well, or are you still running the Halogen high beams?

You haven't had any canbus warnings?

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
453 Posts
Just low beam with LED. I still have original stock halogen high beams. I figured I'd wait until one of those burnt out before switching.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have a link or point.me in the direction of the bandytales info on the H1.
I am going to ne switching mine, owned the bime a year and went thru my 2nd H7 so I am switching it to LED, NP tjere but the H1's I have have two electrical leads that I am unsurenhiw to deal with. I saw a post on another site where someone did it but can not find it. Riding a San Marino Blue 2015 R1200RT, and I love it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts