BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2002 LT in July, since then I have taken two trips on it and it broke twice. First time was final drive and second time was a valve stem. I am starting to think either I made a poor choice in bikes or I'm not supposed to tour on a motorcycle. I've put almost 70K on my 2000 Concours and it has never left me stranded.
Crossing my fingers!
Wes

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Dang! Where did you get your LT? How many miles? Tire valve stem or engine?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Sorry to hear you've had these problems. I would not hesitate to take an LT on a long trip. Went across Canada a couple of times on mine. I hear than some have enjoyed huge mileage on their bikes. Did you get the bike from a dealer?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
whdunn4 said:
I bought my 2002 LT in July, since then I have taken two trips on it and it broke twice. First time was final drive and second time was a valve stem. I am starting to think either I made a poor choice in bikes or I'm not supposed to tour on a motorcycle. I've put almost 70K on my 2000 Concours and it has never left me stranded.
Crossing my fingers!
Wes
Hey, everything breaks sooner or later, right? :eek: Now quit your whining. :p

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
whdunn4 said:
Crossing my fingers!
Wes
Final drive I understand.
Valve stem? I'm assuming you are talking about a tire valve and not an engine valve, right?

This is very old information, found deep in the archives on this site: BMW had defective valve stems on early KLTs. Many of us replaced them with metal valve stems, but a good quality rubber one will work just as well. But don't get one out of the BMW supply system, especially from a dealer with slow moving parts inventory.

Sorry to hear of your breakdowns, but don't be too discouraged. You've a great bike. Learn all you can about it here (and don't be too distressed about reports of problems as they are over represented here).

Search for the "I love this bike" threads occasionally and you'll see many have had trouble free bikes for many thousands of miles.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Never a good idea to tempt fate or take pleasure in other peoples misfortunes.
I believe there is a German word for that, just can't remember it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was a tire valve stem. I had it changed at the Hardley Ableson dealer in Staunton, Va.
I sure am glad the rear wheel is so easy to remove.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TWheels said:
Sorry to hear you've had these problems. I would not hesitate to take an LT on a long trip. Went across Canada a couple of times on mine. I hear than some have enjoyed huge mileage on their bikes. Did you get the bike from a dealer?
I bought the bike used, from a private owner, with 13,500 miles on the clock. it now has 17,500 on it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
New2rt said:
Never a good idea to tempt fate or take pleasure in other peoples misfortunes.
I believe there is a German word for that, just can't remember it.
Schadenfreude. (sp?)

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
whdunn4 said:
It was a tire valve stem. I had it changed at the Hardley Ableson dealer in Staunton, Va.
I sure am glad the rear wheel is so easy to remove.

If your rim HAD a rubber stem when you took it in for a new tire, they should have installed a new stem whether you requested it or not!

I'd be knocking on their door for some liability on their part.

Just my .02 cents worth!
Vern :bmw:

PS....metal stems last for many replacement tires. There are rubber washers that can be replaced every couple years to insure no leakeage. I've had mine on 4 years and no leaks anywhere around the metal valve stem.

Goog luck! You've got a GREAT Bikle!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts