BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..... you just pulled into your (crushed stone) driveway and come to a stop with your left foot down - right foot still on the brake - and your dear wife immediately stands up to start dismounting without waiting for you to tell her OK! :rolleyes:

:dance: YOU JOIN THE - I PICKED UP MY LT CLUB :dance:

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
rcoolbaugh said:
..... you just pulled into your (crushed stone) driveway and come to a stop with your left foot down - right foot still on the brake - and your dear wife immediately stands up to start dismounting without waiting for you to tell her OK! :rolleyes:

Don't feel bad. I dropped mine backing out of the garage :dance:

·
Registered
43 Posts
With my skinny little bird legs I just can't hold it if it gets very much off vertical with the wife on back & loaded for trips. Dropped mine 4 times in the first 2 years I had it. Always when stopped or near stopped, loaded w/wife & gear & it got over too far. Tip over guards saved it every time but once when had to replace chrome trim on right bag. Riding buddies stopped in front of me going up switchbacks to Grandfather Mtn & grade was so steep the bike was sliding down the hill on it's side. (optical illusion I guess, with the switchbacks in front of me. I thought I was vertical when I stopped but b4 I could get a foot down it was too late). Thankfully, the last 3 years have been drop free. ( Murphy don't get me tomorrow! )

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
rcoolbaugh said:

Such instances are typically preceded by the overwhelming thoughts of I Got it I Got It ... quickly realizing O' shit let her go !!

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
I thought it was "DA" - Droppers anonymous? :D :D

·
Registered
204 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I've let mine down to nap 3 times now. The last time the wind her over with me sitting in the seat. Not a thing I could do about it except let 'er go!

Sigh!

Loren

·
Registered
342 Posts
rcoolbaugh said:

What's my wife doing on the back of your bike??????????

If you are into wife swapping do you have any guitars or amps?????

cheers

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Most accidents happen within 5 miles of your home. NEVER, NEVER go within 5 miles of your home................ ;)

·
Registered
832 Posts
rcoolbaugh said:

Thats why I use the brake lever on the handlebar for final stopping. Both feet are free to hit the deck for bike stability.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't feel bad I dropped mine when I was test riding, with the pervious owner, wife and daughter standing there watching

·
Registered
368 Posts
rattler50 said:
Most accidents happen within 5 miles of your home. NEVER, NEVER go within 5 miles of your home................ ;)
Sooo true!

I've dropped mine attempting a U-turn in front of the home gate. I was passing by, I saw my wife was entering home and decided to talk to her before riding away. Since I had just passed the gate, I had to make a U-turn and misjudged the road width... Or simply didn't take the time to check it carefully.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
And........ Come on, we want the rest of the story!

Loren

Corrado68 said:
Sooo true!

I've dropped mine attempting a U-turn in front of the home gate. I was passing by, I saw my wife was entering home and decided to talk to her before riding away. Since I had just passed the gate, I had to make a U-turn and misjudged the road width... Or simply didn't take the time to check it carefully.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Looking at buying an LT and notice several tip over statements. I have not driven or even sat on an LT. Are they top heavy or high off the ground or is it just the weight that makes them easy to tip. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
368 Posts
rossco54 said:
Hi Looking at buying an LT and notice several tip over statements. I have not driven or even sat on an LT. Are they top heavy or high off the ground or is it just the weight that makes them easy to tip. Thanks for your help
I think they are both heavy and tall, that's why everyone talks about tipping them over.

But to be honest, I have an average of 2-3 tip-overs with the previous bikes, so with this one I'm still under the average (until now, touch wood! :D )

·
Registered
25 Posts
rossco54 said:
Yes, yes, & yes.

Very heavy (to me coming form a 600 sportbike) & not forgiving to inattention at slow speeds. It's not a bike you can flick around & if that's what you're used to, this bike will teach you to do things right. I had a lot of bad habits learning on a light bike - I could just impose my will & do things like stop with the front brake & the handlebars turned.

At least the bike seems to be designed for it. The engine cuts off right away & the wings do a good job of taking the impact. It's not easy to upright by yourself but not back-breaking either.

Really, you should be paying attention at all times when on a bike - whether you're going 75mph or .5 mph - operating the bike requires your complete attention. This one won't let you get away with doing otherwise for very long. On the road, the bike is among the best. It's in the driveway or parking lot that it bites you. Typical times when attention wanders since you're not on "high alert" - at least not until it teaches you why you need to be.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts