Registered
1,334 Posts
And the mirrors didn't fall off! :D

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
I would hope so.
True dat! Considering the LT, at near 200 pounds heavier and 45 less horsepower, could do one, I would have been disappointed if it couldn't.

·
Registered
269 Posts
where does 200 lbs lighter come from.

K1200LT = Unladen Weight with Full Tank= 378.5 Kg / 833 lb
GTL = Weight 767 lbs. (348 kg) with 90% fuel.

The bike feels much lighter but in fact is only about 60 lbs lighter.

I have an 05 Lt with a Bill Mayer seat and I sit much higher with this seat on the LT compared to the stock seat, The GTL with the low seat is a no go for me. Sitting on this bike flat footed on the ground I felt like I was sitting on a kitchen chair with my legs bent near 90 degree's , Pull my legs up to the pegs and I feel way to cramped up.

5"11 with a 34" inseam, rather long for my height, but I could never live with the GTL with the normal stock low seat. The GT stock seat is much better for my inseam. You shorter folks with short legs will love it though. I seen a 5 ft little women jump on this bike and lifted it right up and was flat footed, she rides a Goldwing and she loved the GTL.

Just my opinion, the only thing I liked about the bike was the power. I didn't have a good enough test ride to test the handling other then parking lot speeds which is 100 times better then the LT. The BMW truck was their and loaded with GT's and GTL's, we were in a group following a BMW lead rider who couldn't let us really test it good due to traffic constraints and these guys are known for giving a good test ride on their machines. They had a full load of GTL's but not one with the taller seat option.

For those who think the LT stereo is weak, you will have to rethink that after testing the GTL

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I wonder who will be going home with that "demo" bike...:) Gently ridden I assure you...

While being able to do a wheelie is cool and all that, I think if you did it very many times stuff would start falling off the bike...:( That's a lot of weight dropping down on that front end...
You might as well take it out to the motocross track and jump it over a few moguls....

John

·
Registered
193 Posts
JPSpen said:
I wonder who will be going home with that "demo" bike...:) Gently ridden I assure you...

While being able to do a wheelie is cool and all that, I think if you did it very many times stuff would start falling off the bike...:( That's a lot of weight dropping down on that front end...
You might as well take it out to the motocross track and jump it over a few moguls....

John
I was thinking the same thing when I watched the video. Pretty impressive, all he was missing was a "stoppie".

Can you imagine sitting in the crowd, and after they get done with the demo the announcer calls you name and ask you to come over to the booth, and when you get there he hands you the keys to that bike and says "Sorry, but our demo was out on a ride, we had to let them use your bike, hope you don't mind". :histerica

·
Registered
577 Posts
Didn't one of the early announcement posts refer to a limiter for just such activity? For safety reasons?

Still impressive! Parking lot speed control, very nice indeed.

·
IBR# 366
16,549 Posts
tobiwan said:
Didn't one of the early announcement posts refer to a limiter for just such activity? For safety reasons?
The Slant/6 bikes (and some of the Slant/4 bikes) have BMW's Active Stability Control (ASC). This monitors both front and rear wheel speeds and if the rear is going noticeably faster than the front, it slightly retards the engine (limiting HP and torque) until the speeds match. This is designed to limit rear wheel slip in low traction conditions, but also minimizes burnouts and wheelies.

I have this option on my Slant/4 GT. Like ABS, it just sits there idle until you need it, then it simply does its job quickly and quietly. It's almost unobtrusive when it does kick in.

As you saw in the video, this safety feature can be turned off. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
I took off in 1st gear while in dynamic/sport, 2 up. with my wife on the back, easy engage, then full wrist, I could feel the front end come up about 2 inches when I eased back as to avoid my wife pounding on my back..... great bike! wife loves the pillion, she cant wait to ride it, she states she is no longer an R girl, She is getting a 2013 GTL

cool for me, i will get to ride that too! We are both hoping it will come in red by then.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts