BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually not all that impressed. Nice bike but. 2 Hour ride seat was hard hit my tail bone just wrong, got back on my LT and WOW this is comfortable. I was riding home and start saying to myself Hey I like this better. Speedo to 170 come on. this made the numbers for speed very very small and hard to read at a quick glance. You have to remove the gear shift level in order to change the oil filter, what is up with that. It was a fun ride but I just did not fall in love it.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
HDusenbery said:
Actually not all that impressed. Nice bike but. 2 Hour ride seat was hard hit my tail bone just wrong, got back on my LT and WOW this is comfortable. I was riding home and start saying to myself Hey I like this better. Speedo to 170 come on. this made the numbers for speed very very small and hard to read at a quick glance. You have to remove the gear shift level in order to change the oil filter, what is up with that. It was a fun ride but I just did not fall in love it.
I agree on the speedometer... Number way too small. I'm going to place a mark at 50 and 70 so a quick glance will let me know where I am.

Oil filter is 10 times easier to get to and get off than most bikes. A cheep strap wrench spins it off, without removing anything. Now the inside tiny plug is another matter, but easily solved, if you are serious.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It appears that there is a design issue with the speedometer. Be very careful glancing down to check your speed.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I do not use the speedo for speed I use the Nav4.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Agreed--I have never had a bike from BMW (on my 5th) that wasn't set 4-7 MPH fast. GPS is a far better instrument for speed.

RB

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm using the Zumo too, basically 'cuz the speedo is too damn small to read with a fast glance! Seems like my GTL is about 2-3 miles fast at most speeds.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I took one for a test ride. I am impressed! The only issue I had was the heat from the engine on my lower legs(HWY pegs a must) and the low seat was TOO low.
I loved it! :dance:

·
Registered
530 Posts
OU812 said:
I took one for a test ride. I am impressed! The only issue I had was the heat from the engine on my lower legs(HWY pegs a must) and the low seat was TOO low.
Having rode mine in 110 degree tempature I do not find the heat from the engine too hot as long as you use tall boots.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
OU812 said:

I added Suburban pegs that dropped my leg down about an 1 1/2" and out just a little. Unless I'm shifting, turn my left foot out. Seems to keep the heat away.

After about 1,500 miles I really feel like I am at one with the bike and most of the controls are becoming second nature. Muscle memory is reprogrammed. For me, the K1600GTL has become an acquired taste and was not great at first. Shifting down was poor and up was good most of the time. Pre loading the shifter makes it smoother going up and keeping the RPMs up makes a tremendous difference. It is not an easy bike to ride at first, but it definitely is worth the time it takes to ride her correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am not all that impressed either. Gages are too small, I intend to keep my eyes on the road ahead and not trying to "focus" on gages which are too small to read with a glance. The heat rising thru the seat was just poor design. Dealer wanted to put reflective foil under the seat to manage it. If these two things were remedied I would trade my K1200GT for some additional two up riding comfort.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts