BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GTL 1600 Motorcycle Manual

Some may find some interesting reading from the GTL1600 Riders Manual that is on BMW Canada website. http://www.bmw-motorrad.ca/bikes/K1600GTL
Go to the link and look at Downloads.

Found a couple of interesting things;
-there is a dipstick to check the engine oil
-it holds 4.5 liters of oil when the filter is changed as well.
-it shows how to tie-down the motorcycle when on a trailer.
-break-in period is 500-1200KM
-could not find service intervals but it talks about a service indicator dash light that comes on when you are 1 month or 1000KM away from service.
-36 month unlimited miles (for Canada anyway) warranty.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Re: GTL 1600 Motorcycle Manual

ferrasr said:
Some may find some interesting reading from the GTL1600 Riders Manual that is on BMW Canada website. http://www.bmw-motorrad.ca/bikes/K1600GTL
Go to the link and look at Downloads.

Found a couple of interesting things;
-could not find service intervals but it talks about a service indicator dash light that comes on when you are 1 month or 1000KM away from service.
They must have adopted the same system they use on their cars....the computer monitors the operations history and decides at what mileage or date the service needs to be done. Our BMW cage only asks for a oil change every 18 months or 18000 miles.

·
Registered
155 Posts

Duane_in_Florida said:
Our BMW cage only asks for a oil change every 18 months or 18000 miles.
My two BMW cagers also go a lot longer than I prefer before asking for an oil change. The oil gets changed in them every 6 months. Works out to just about 5,000 miles between changes.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts

Interesting that they fit NGK and not BOSCH plugs as standard and also that both tyre pressures are the same.

·
Registered
268 Posts

Good to finally have access to the manual.. I noticed the MSRP is listed as TBA which is strange because all dealers know the price and I've ordered mine based on the confirmed Canadian MSRP.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts

For the 'lazy' ones amongst us the direct links for download ;) :

K1600GTL

K1600GT

·
Registered
519 Posts

I noticed that in the illustration on page 10, there isn't a side cover or inner fender. (see where item 6 and 7 point to)

This is just like the pre-production model we saw at the Long Beach show and our concern with the road grime/spray - not to mention the unfinished look.

Hopefully this illustration was pattered off the pre-production model and not the final production bike.

·
Registered
167 Posts

As I expected, the instruction manuals confirm the weight figures given in October: 703 lbs wet for the GT without side-cases and 767 lbs wet for the GTL with side-cases and top-case.

It also confirms the seat height as being [31.9" - 32.7"] for the standard GT seat, [30.7" - 31.5"] for the low GT seat, and 29.5" for the GTL seat. Oddly there is no mention of a higher GTL seat.

It also looks like removing the front side fairings, for access to the headlights or speakers, is very simple which is nice.

Also the windshield automatically lowers all the way when the bike is turned off but returns to its previous position when the bike is turned back on and you start riding away. The latter is interesting - from the sound of it, it won't rise back up until you actually start moving. I guess this is to avoid it needlessly rising and lowering when someone turns the bike on but isn't actually riding it (such as when doing maintenance).

·
Registered
860 Posts

You have to stop the bike to change ride modes... If your using all the ponies and it starts to rain, changing the ride mode on the fly is a no-no... Strange...

·
Registered
268 Posts

UncleMark said:
You have to stop the bike to change ride modes... If your using all the ponies and it starts to rain, changing the ride mode on the fly is a no-no... Strange...
No, you can change ride modes as you're riding, if you shut the throttle and pull the clutch in. That's how I read it.

MrBreeze said:
I noticed that in the illustration on page 10, there isn't a side cover or inner fender. (see where item 6 and 7 point to)

This is just like the pre-production model we saw at the Long Beach show and our concern with the road grime/spray - not to mention the unfinished look.

Hopefully this illustration was pattered off the pre-production model and not the final production bike.
There isn't going to be one, you can count on that. The RT doesn't have it either.

p.s. The "standard toolkit" is :histerica

·
Registered
4,241 Posts

love the tool kit :mad:

·
Registered
193 Posts

Thanks for the post, you just gave me something to occupy my Saturday!

·
Registered
519 Posts

adjustable shift lever. :)

·
Premium Member
562 Posts

fluffy said:
I read it cover to cover! :) Now we need the manual for the audio system. :D
Attached is the radio maunal for the 2011 RT. Someone said it is essentially the same as what wil be on the GT/GTl with the exceotion of the display. I have not been able to confirm if this is correct or not. It seems reasonable though.

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts

Thanks! Something to read while we wait..

I noticed that to remove the rear wheel on the K16's you don't need to remove the right side muffler, just remove the license plate fender and the wheel rolls back and out. 4 screws to remove the mudguard.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts

Ferrasr - awesome find on this one! I've never read a manual cover to cover in all my vehicles until this one (really never had one this early, either!). Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
28 Posts

So, with all this info coming forth with the rider's manual etc. Has anyone seen anything regaring the passenger arm rests ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts