BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tired of problems with hesitation and roughness below 5K rpm and BMW's lack of help concerning it? I have been living with the problem for the last 30K miles. I felt it should be a warranty problem and should be fixed. I went for a ride today and could not take it any more. I stopped at Napa and bought a new O2 sensor. Part number 15730. It was 64 bucks plus tax. It came with bare wires(no plug). I spliced her in and went for a ride. She rides so much better now. I wish I would have done this a long time ago. So, If your thinking about it, Just do it! Thanks to Ken, Grif, and others for the info on this.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
sanjaun2 said:
Tired of problems with hesitation and roughness below 5K rpm and BMW's lack of help concerning it? I have been living with the problem for the last 30K miles. I felt it should be a warranty problem and should be fixed. I went for a ride today and could not take it any more. I stopped at Napa and bought a new O2 sensor. Part number 15730. It was 64 bucks plus tax. It came with bare wires(no plug). I spliced her in and went for a ride. She rides so much better now. I wish I would have done this a long time ago. So, If your thinking about it, Just do it! Thanks to Ken, Grif, and others for the info on this.
After installing the new O2 sensor and doing the TPS reset the bike was perfect. After the bike overcame the TPS reset it was good, but not there yet. I installed the Power Frk sometime before Christmas and the fueling has been spot on ever since. It works off the temp air sensor on the airbox. I haven't been jumping up and down in joy yet, as I haven't ridden the bike in hot temps. If this fix works in the heat, I'll be screaming it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
13,451 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grif,
I went to power RFK's website and could not find any perticulars like how it works and gains in HP and torque. Their graphs looked like a snake instead of smooth and straight. Give us so more info aye.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the info on how it works, But looking at the different model dyno's I noticed that in some cases the power was lower than stock. I need a better sales pitch.

·
IBR# 366
16,532 Posts
sanjaun2 said:
I noticed that in some cases the power was lower than stock.
I heard the same thing about some of the later BMW software updates. But do you really need more power, or a smoother, more consistent throttle response? Some GT's are mildly jerky, some are massively so. If yours is OK, then leave it alone. If not, then this is one possible solution to the various flat spots and sloppy idling.

Besides, even if you find another 10-15 HP somewhere, you'll still not be able to keep up with me & Grif. :D

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
sanjaun2 said:
I found the info on how it works, But looking at the different model dyno's I noticed that in some cases the power was lower than stock. I need a better sales pitch.
I haven't really noticed any horsepower drop, or gain, then again, I did the stepper motor mod at the same time. My first impression was a bit more vibration was noticed in the handlebars. It either went away, or I got used to it.

The nice thing about the PowerFrk is it simply plugs inline with the airbox temp sensor, so if it ends up not working in the hot, it can be unplugged. Though it really wouldn't matter, I fear no solder.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
IBR# 366
16,532 Posts
meese said:
But do you really need more power, or a smoother, more consistent throttle response?
Well, having just ridden an '09 GT, I can say for certain that it is entirely possible to get both. :bmw:

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
grifscoots said:
After installing the new O2 sensor and doing the TPS reset the bike was perfect. After the bike overcame the TPS reset it was good, but not there yet. I installed the Power Frk sometime before Christmas and the fueling has been spot on ever since. It works off the temp air sensor on the airbox. I haven't been jumping up and down in joy yet, as I haven't ridden the bike in hot temps. If this fix works in the heat, I'll be screaming it.
Hey Grif,
A while back I installed my new O2 sensor and things were grand. Then I did the throttle restrictor shim mod. After shimming the solenoid I did the tps procedure. Now I have that low rpm hesitation back. It actually started its symtoms just before the mod, But became worse afterwards. I am thinking coincidence. So, my O2 sensor fix only lasted about a thousand miles. How is that FRK holding up?

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
sanjaun2 said:
Hey Grif,
A while back I installed my new O2 sensor and things were grand. Then I did the throttle restrictor shim mod. After shimming the solenoid I did the tps procedure. Now I have that low rpm hesitation back. It actually started its symtoms just before the mod, But became worse afterwards. I am thinking coincidence. So, my O2 sensor fix only lasted about a thousand miles. How is that FRK holding up?
It's been perfect, the fueling spot on and no hesitation what-so-ever. I haven't ridden in anything hotter than 85 degrees. When I ride in hot weather and the fueling stays, I'll be screaming it.

On the older LT's we unplugged the air box temp sensor and it did away with hesitation. The FRK plugs inline with the air box temp sensor and has been great. I did notice a very small, subtle vibration in the handlebars after installing the FRK. It was so subtle that I don't notice it anymore. I shimmed the stepper motor the same time I installed the FRK.

I noticed the same thing you did after installing the O2 and came to the conclusion that this bike likes a regular (thousand mile) TPS reset. I haven't reset the TPS since the FRK install. Man, I hope it sticks in hot weather! Even if it doesn't, I recommend this product for taking out the hesitation.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Grif,
I think I'll be the next to try the FRK. I'll let ya know.

·
IBR# 366
16,532 Posts
Grif, any noticeable change in mpg?

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
meese said:
Grif, any noticeable change in mpg?
Yes, it's gone down. Of course, it's been windly like crazy here, gusts up to 25-30 mph and we all know how that affects the GT. Then, since I did the stepper motor shim and there is NO HESITATION, well, I've been a bad boy. Seems I can't stay out of the throttle.

We're doing a Big Bend trip April 17 and the guys going are pretty mellow. I'll let you know then.

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
grifscoots said:
Yes, it's gone down. Of course, it's been windly like crazy here, gusts up to 25-30 mph and we all know how that affects the GT. Then, since I did the stepper motor shim and there is NO HESITATION, well, I've been a bad boy. Seems I can't stay out of the throttle.

We're doing a Big Bend trip April 17 and the guys going are pretty mellow. I'll let you know then.
Mellow? :rolleyes:

MELLOW?!?!?!?! :eek:

You callin' Monte mellow????? :confused: Why, he wuz on his Piaggio the other day and, and, .... and.... passed a car!!!

Damn straight! Passed that bugger like it wuz sittin' still!!

And he wuz hollerin' WOOHOO all the way.

I think that car had 'bout 8 more minutes on the parking meter!!! :histerica

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Dick said:
Mellow? :rolleyes:

MELLOW?!?!?!?! :eek:

You callin' Monte mellow????? :confused: Why, he wuz on his Piaggio the other day and, and, .... and.... passed a car!!!

Damn straight! Passed that bugger like it wuz sittin' still!!

And he wuz hollerin' WOOHOO all the way.

I think that car had 'bout 8 more minutes on the parking meter!!! :histerica
Wait and see! Why the speed limit on the highway isn't even met and we stop every 200 miles. I have to get in my laid back, happy spot for that kind of riding.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts