BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned in another thread "For earlier K1200 equipped with ABSII unit (also called ABS2), faults will need to be cleared from ABS unit once cause is fixed as it stays in a static memory. This can be done either by: (1) dealers computer (2) GS911 (3) a manual method using Pin 21 on ABS connector." (from John in Montreal) I have an ABS fault indication on my 2000LT that I believe requires a simple reset. The ABS fault indication came on after a rough railroad crossing at highway speeds. In addition to the reset feature, the information provided by the GS911 appears useful. I'm leaning towards purchasing a GS911, but I'm not sure if I would utilize the GS911 enough to justify the cost. Any pros or cons from you folks that own a GS911?

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
If you're planning on keeping the bike, find yourself a used one and go for it. Pretty useful tool. It's the BMW equivalent of an OBDII code reader. If you are mechanically inclined and like to tinker, they are well worth the money. That and if you're a BMWMOA member, it's a nice option to have if someone gives you a call for assistance.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,780 Posts
I bought my first one (just USB) back in 2007 direct from South Africa. Used it quite a bit on other peoples bikes. Never really needed it for my LT (05) but then they started adding functionality. Then I sold it and bought a Blue Tooth version so I could read and clear faults with my Android phone. Now I use it for the bleed test after every flush and resetting the service indicators on the GS and now GT. I guess I don't leave home without it in the pannier.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I learned in another thread "For earlier K1200 equipped with ABSII unit (also called ABS2), faults will need to be cleared from ABS unit once cause is fixed as it stays in a static memory. This can be done either by: (1) dealers computer (2) GS911 (3) a manual method using Pin 21 on ABS connector." (from John in Montreal) I have an ABS fault indication on my 2000LT that I believe requires a simple reset. The ABS fault indication came on after a rough railroad crossing at highway speeds. In addition to the reset feature, the information provided by the GS911 appears useful. I'm leaning towards purchasing a GS911, but I'm not sure if I would utilize the GS911 enough to justify the cost. Any pros or cons from you folks that own a GS911?

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Rob,
If you are handy with basic electrical stuff, you might want to try the "Pin 21" reset method on the ABSII modulator here:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/30942-works-abs-2-fault-reset-long.html
Make sure to read all the thread (2 pages) as you will find good pictures on 2nd page.

About GS911: They recently came out with a 2nd generation GS911 that wll use WiFi to communicate with your PC (these device are RED). Earlier generation of GS911 like I have are Yellow and need a PC that is windows based (basic version) or can also communicate using Bluetooth for many high-end phone to display interface (a bit more expensive for Bluetooth support).

The Yellow 1st generation GS911 are a bit cheaper than recent ones and are a bit easier to find on used market. Be careful with EBAY as there are some clone copy from China that do not work well when HexCode does a software upgrade (3 to 4 times every year).

Keep in mind that GS911 will also help you (or friends) for many other BMW models and also to help make a diagnostic for certain engine and EFI problem (like Oxygen-Sensor).
See their web site for pricing and infos: The Home of GS-911 ? HEX Code

·
Registered
403 Posts
I would recommend buying new. Be sure not to get the cheap Chinese knock off.
You don't need one for one bike. But if you have friends, or ride with others, or ride where others are, it can be one good item.
I have used mine on many bikes. Some my own.
dc

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Does the newest "red" GS911 work with older BMW's?
YES it does. According to the 1st paragraph of their "Products" web page, it does everything the older version (yellow) did, PLUS the Wifi, PLUS the newer protocol of recent bikes (K1600 and all R1200 water cooled). See this page (1st paragraph): products ? HEX Code

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,588 Posts
Thanks Bill and John. I thought that BMW changed the pins on the connector so that a new GS911 was needed.
If the pin-outs (connector) is the same, I do not see why the older "yellow" GS911 units cannot be "flashed" (firmware update) to work with the new bikes.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Keep in mind if you buy use, that if the unit is an enthusiast model it will only allow 10 different V.I.N. numbers to ever be used by it. Once those ten are used up it wont allow you to add anymore. If you buy it new at least you know you start out with the full ten. Keep this in mind also if you have a bunch of friends with BMW bikes or want to help a stranded BMW bike on the side of the road. 10 V.I.N. is all you get.

If it's the professional model, then you are free to use it on as many BMW bikes as you like, but expect to pay about $200.00-$250.00 more compared to the enthusiast models.

I have a GS911 enthusiast USB model. It is a nice tool to have and works great on my R1150RT and K1200LT.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the basic GS911 enthusiast USB model fine for the individual that doesn't anticipate exceeding 10 VINs, or is the Blue Tooth / WiFi features of the newer GS911s worth the additional money?

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Thanks Bill and John. I thought that BMW changed the pins on the connector so that a new GS911 was needed.
If the pin-outs (connector) is the same, I do not see why the older "yellow" GS911 units cannot be "flashed" (firmware update) to work with the new bikes.
You would have to ask the folks at HexCode (GS911 creators). They have a nice forum for such questions. My assumptions are either one or many of these reasons:
(1) Suggestion / complaint on improvements to support other method of connection like Wifi (than USB) and also to support Apple in future.

(2) On newer K1600 (and R1200) BMW may have used some of the unused pins from that 10 pins connectors. Not all pins were used in the past interface by BMW, so Yellow GS911 does not have them all.

I suspect all that that stuff could not be achieved with old hardware / firmware of GS911.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Keep in mind if you buy use, that if the unit is an enthusiast model it will only allow 10 different V.I.N. numbers to ever be used by it. Once those ten are used up it wont allow you to add anymore. If you buy it new at least you know you start out with the full ten. Keep this in mind also if you have a bunch of friends with BMW bikes or want to help a stranded BMW bike on the side of the road. 10 V.I.N. is all you get.

If it's the professional model, then you are free to use it on as many BMW bikes as you like, but expect to pay about $200.00-$250.00 more compared to the enthusiast models.

I have a GS911 enthusiast USB model. It is a nice tool to have and works great on my R1150RT and K1200LT.
If I'm not mistaken, when the ownership of the GS-911 is transferred and then subsequently re-registered with HexCode, the VIN count begins anew for the new owner. After all, the GS-911 is only an interface between the actual computer / smart phone program that you're using and the motorcycle, and has no memory of its own. The various VINs are scored against the 911 in the registry at HexCode and subsequently stored in you computer / smart phone / device and scored against your account with them.

I'm the 3rd owner of my GS-911 and when I registered it with HexCode there were no VINs registered against the unit.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, when the ownership of the GS-911 is transferred and then subsequently re-registered with HexCode, the VIN count begins anew for the new owner. After all, the GS-911 is only an interface between the actual computer / smart phone program that you're using and the motorcycle, and has no memory of its own. The various VINs are scored against the 911 in the registry at HexCode and subsequently stored in you computer / smart phone / device and scored against your account with them.

I'm the 3rd owner of my GS-911 and when I registered it with HexCode there were no VINs registered against the unit.
That is not my understanding how it works. But I have never asked Hexcode about this so it is possible I could be wrong. I have sent them a message to find out the answer. When they reply, I'll post the answer here.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mea culpa, mea culpa.

You are correct sir. Just got off the phone with Ted Porter and he confirms that the VINs cannot be removed.

Wonder why mine didn't have any scored against it, as I am the 3rd owner? Must have just been used on older bikes with ECUs that could not produce the VIN, i.e., MA2 series ECUs and older.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Bill Edwards

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
The previous owners may have not ever used it for service.
If you only use it to read and clear codes etc. (emergency functions) no VIN is required.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,780 Posts
The previous owners may have not ever used it for service.
If you only use it to read and clear codes etc. (emergency functions) no VIN is required.
Correct. The only time it stores a VIN is when you reset a service interval counter on the bike (most older bikes did not have one). Even though it is stored on the 911 unit, it disregards that count when used with the upgraded professional software that allows unlimited VINs.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Does the computer need to be near the bike? I don't have a laptop as my home computer is pretty far from my garage.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Does the computer need to be near the bike? I don't have a laptop as my home computer is pretty far from my garage.
For the most recent Wifi version (RED), you only need to be able to reach an access point signal (Wifi device / router). Distance depends on signal strength of Wifi router/device and buiding contruction. Check their web site for various options that would be compatible with your home Wifi setup. If you are not a techie, you may want to show this page to your favorite techie: gs-911wifi-setup ? HEX Code

With the previous version (YELLOW), you need either a USB cable -OR- a bluetooth device/phone nearby for wireless. However, my understanding is that certain features/options of this Yellow GS911 will work only when plugged in (USB cable). The most common version implemented in the PC industry is "USB 2.0" and the cable length limit in such case is 16 feet (5 meters).

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
From the Hexcode website. "GS-911wifi - is compatible with the GS-911 Windows PC software for Windows XP and Vista (32 & 64bit), Windows 7 (32 & 64bit) and Windows 8 (32 & 64bit). It can also connect to ANY device with a browser and wifi to deliver Emergency Functionality (ECU information, reading & clearing of Fault Codes, Engine real-time (live) data) - typically Android, iPads, iPhones, Windows Phone 7 & 8 etc..."

Basically, you press a button on the GS911wifi, and put it in server mode. But you do need a device such as a smartphone, tablet, or laptop.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts