BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, the GS 911 is a great diagnostic tool and mine is working just fine....with the USB cable. Problem is, I bought the version ($50 more) that provides bluetooth capability. So I thought that I could use the bluetooth from my new Toshiba notebook and not have to mess with cables.
Wrong.
The GS 911 is designed to support bluetooth from mobile devices like cell phones etc. and their website clearly states that you are on your own if you plan to use it on a PC, laptop or notebook and they really don't want you to call them to resolve this issue. I've yet to get mine to connect to the Toshiba via bluetooth and apparently, I need to create a COM Port that uses Windows bluetooth drivers. I'm not a PC wiz and this is not something I'll be able to do on my own.

So the purpose of this note is not to complain, just to let potential buyers know of the problems I ran into trying to use bluetooth to connect with my notebook, and to urge them to carefully read the company website's FAQs etc.

If anyone has successfully been able to bluetooth to a laptop or notebook, please let me know how to go about it.

Thanks

Bob

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,253 Posts
Would you like to swap units and recover some of the extra cost? I bought mine before I ever had a bluetooth phone and now I wish I had the bluetooth option.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I don't know what a GS911 is but I do know how to add a comm port, It's failry simple, see below. This assumes your laptop has a BT receiver alreay.

To add another port ,try Control panel\add new hardware, click next when
wizard starts\then yes I have already connected the hardware, then next\
at the bottom of the drop down list is the option to add new hardware
device. Click on this then at the next screen chose the install hardware
I chose option, then next. The next screen will have a list of all
devices you can add including COM ports.
When adding COM ports it can be a bit of a lottery as to what the number
will be, I've seen 5, 6 and 7 added whilst trying to create a 2!
Best of luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
fwiw, the BT version works with my BT laptop.

First, get the latest version of the PC software... the early versions did not support BT nor the extended com port numbers used by BT.

Next, BT can be weird... may take some twiddling with the PC's BT settings and service selections which vary by the "Bluetooth Stack" software.

Might check to see that you have the latest BT software for your PC or dongle.

Beverly Howard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts