BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just lately my big girl has been growling at me. Usually after a hard run though the twisties when I've pushed her. She growls fairly loudly at an idle for a minute or so, then quiets right down. (OK, I know I've opened a can of worms with respect to growling and hard riding, so have at it :p )
I'm pretty sure it's associated with the alternator, but that's just a guess on my part. I've also begun to hear a high pitched whine in the earphones clearly relative to engine RPMs.
Is this, perhaps, the signs of an impending alternator failure?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
104 reads and no thoughts? Sure would like to hear some opinions on what might be causing this growl.
If not, I'll just shut the hell up and go away :rolleyes:

·
Registered
676 Posts
fpmlt said:
104 reads and no thoughts? Sure would like to hear some opinions on what might be causing this growl.
If not, I'll just shut the hell up and go away :rolleyes:
You have obviously broken some new ground in LT history....Growling motorcycle...I am sure we are all very interested in what you find out about it. The high pitched whine could be something in the alternator, or maybe a coil or sparkplug wire going bad??? Keep us posted :wave

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I'll say it's the cooling fans. Cuts off after it cools enough.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,775 Posts
Growling is normal after a hard run. Watch your rpms at idle and if it drops below 1,000 you will begin to hear the growl. It is just the gears letting you know they want another hard run:) .

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jzeiler said:
Growling is normal after a hard run. Watch your rpms at idle and if it drops below 1,000 you will begin to hear the growl. It is just the gears letting you know they want another hard run:) .

Now that I think about it, you're right. Reminds me of a girlfriend I used to have.... ;)

·
Registered
256 Posts
bblalock said:
I'll say it's the cooling fans. Cuts off after it cools enough.
If so, and it sounds logical, it should be easy to duplicate. Start engine, let it run in your driveway until it gets hot enough to turn on the fans. Watch the temp gauge, and see if the 'growling' repeats, occurs a higher temp.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestion, but it's definitely not the cooling fans. My girl runs pretty cool, and the temp only goes up on really hot days at an idle. This growl is certainly coming from the engine, likely the top, and just at an idle, then quits after 20-30 seconds. I'm changing the oils right now, so after that's done I'll check the idle speed and see if that's where the I'm getting it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts