BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya know those little short stub/stud thingies that are located at the lower rear of the left and right knee pads and 'posed to snap fit into a rubber grommet that lives in a slot on each bike's left and right battery cover piece? Well, ole Toad is sans grommet. Sooo - axing for some creative thoughts to keep those stub/stud thingies in place with something other than unobtainable OEM grommets. Hot glue in a school desk pink eraser behind the slot; or a piece of worn thin ME880 tire tread - either one with a small hole to hold the stub/stud thingie when slap fitted? I'm kinda tired of the rattle can noise going on down there now. Ideas??

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Ya know those little short stub/stud thingies that are located at the lower rear of the left and right knee pads and 'posed to snap fit into a rubber grommet that lives in a slot on each bike's left and right battery cover piece? Well, ole Toad is sans grommet. Sooo - axing for some creative thoughts to keep those stub/stud thingies in place with something other than unobtainable OEM grommets. Hot glue in a school desk pink eraser behind the slot; or a piece of worn thin ME880 tire tread - either one with a small hole to hold the stub/stud thingie when slap fitted? I'm kinda tired of the rattle can noise going on down there now. Ideas??
Howdy Dick,
There are lots of grommets out there. Try Radio Shack? They've been closing stores and need help. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103392
(I've no idea if they'd have the size needed. )

Electrical supply houses will have rubber grommets. Maybe shopping on the internet or checking with electrical supply houses.

I'd be making one. In my little shop of horrors, I'd cut a piece of rubber out of the side wall of an old tire, or some such thing. Then I'd make a groove around the edge with a saw, dremmel, or cut-off grinder, or backpack nuc, or whatever, etc,. I'd hold the piece of rubber in a vice while cutting the groove around the perimeter.

Then I'd punch a hole down the middle of the thing. I've made custom punches by taking a piece of metal tubing the right diameter, grinding the end sharp on the bench grinder, and pounding it through with a hammer. Voila, custom grommet.

So my options are labor intensive in shopping for a substitute, or labor intensive in the garage looking for material, tools, and Bandaids. ;)

Arn'cha sorry you asked? :histerica

Almost 4th of July, hotter 'n Texas here in the Deep South of Vermont. (well, almost...)

Cheers,
and Best Regards,
Curtis

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Doug and Curtis. Doug, that stuff looks like sumpthin' the paw print gang would love to play with!!🐶 😉. Fun tho!!
Curtis, thanks for the RS tip. Had no idea. Think I'll stop in there after tomorrow's morning Kaffeeklatsch. I do like your McGyver suggestions too. 👍

·
Registered
2,067 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
boy i sure like this stuff! that's your real answer Dick. make your own grommet and once hardened it should hold forever! great looking stuff!

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
Put a little lube on them before you push the stud in & they won't fall out.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think the number below should be the right one. It's used on most other R's and K's to mount the fairing or battery cover.

46 63 1 453 144

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
It is not in the right place on the diagram but I believe this is it:

03 46 63 2 346 142 RUBBER GROMMET 0.01 2 $3.61ADD TO CART

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all (Chuck, Ron, Dave, Michael and John). Do believe a fix is in by week's end. OEM or ghetto mod!!! Course y'all know the original 14 year old grommets are gonna come outta hiding shortly thereafter! ;)

·
Registered
371 Posts
You could also try slitting some small diameter hose and inserting the slit over the internal edge of the hole, keeping the open ends away from the plug end or superglue the ends together to make a complete grommet.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Get two of 'em, Dick and send me one..............:histerica

·
Registered
679 Posts
Check ACE hardware, they got all kinds of grommets somewhere in all those little drawers and trays.., maybe one that will fit??

·
Registered
705 Posts
Wow, how fortuitous!

I logged onto the forum to see if I could find the part number for this grommet because I can't see it in the parts fiche, and here's a thread about the same thing.

Thanks guys!

GB

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
An empty shell casing works real good to punch nice round holes. Thinking a 357 or 44 might be just the right size. Just drive it through with a hammer.

Hint: Use one that has been fire and is empty. A live one might result in unintended consequences.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Dick, Check Ace hardware in the electrical section drawers. They have a nice selection.
Thanks, Dean. Another source is always good to have. Don't have an Ace Hardware near here, so get to saddle up ole Toad and take a nice ride to the Hill Country!!
Got two good part numbers from Chuck and JZ, so gonna drop by the dealership and see what they have to say; and Radio Shack is just a coupla miles away.
I think since a coupla folks have a need for one or two of those grommets, i'll see if I can find a pocket full of 'em.
Thanks again, all. Happy Fourth to everyone. Be safe.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The hole is not round & the factory grommet will work the best.
Agreed, Dave.
Parts feller checked his computer and said yep on the computer order; told him I'd be in touch as soon as I take a head count. I count 8 as of this post. Said $3.61 each. I'll take care of postage CONUS.

rattler50
1jusbill1
Me
gisman

Anyone else need 2?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts