BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently purchased this item from GROM . Install was quick and easy. Unit comes with a couple pieces of velcro to attach in the side bag. Adapter cable is a perfect fit. It took a few minutes to get the two included cables routed to the oddments box but no biggy. I sealed the new holes in the side bag and oddments box with a grommet and RTV silicone.

The unit works as advertised. I can control my android phone with the handlebar controls, once you download the GROM app. I can scroll through playlists and songs. My XM is now plugged into the AUX jack and plays through the GROM unit instead of FM.

The only drawback is that you can only use a USB stick plugged into the unit or the cord for your phone, not both at the same time. Oh well. The handlebar control also toggles through playlists and songs on the USB.

Quality is good and the added space in the side bag is great. I can now carry just as much as the missus.

Well worth the $98.00.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Hey Goalie do you have an intercom on your bike? Also, can you take some pictures of your install?

Thanks....

Wade

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have the intercom. It still works the same way, music cuts out when we speak or when the phone rings.

I'll take a couple of pics but it is quite simple. I'm going to make some sort of panel to put in front of it though so that when I put a bag liner in it doesn't get near the cabling and possibly knock it loose.

·
Registered
58 Posts
How did you determine that model will work on your 2002 LT? I have a 2006 LT. All of the listings I see don't even have listings for Motorcycles. Also did you have to buy the BMW DSP CONVERSION KIT for 64.99 to get the song information to display on your radio display. I just don't want to buy something that I'm going to have to send back because it doesn't work. I have been looking a a DICE product that claims to do the same thing, but the BMW forum says otherwise. DICE also will not respond to questions made on their support link. How is the support with GROM Audio?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I recently ordered an iSimple and before it was delivered I saw the first posting about the GROM product. I already understood that iSimple was not going to do all that I wanted but was going to settle for good enough. Thinking I might scrap the iSimple idea if GROM did it all, I went to their website and messaged them the following question:

Rumor has it that GROM Audio has products may work with BMW motorcycles. I have a 2005 BMW K1200LT motorcycle which has OEM sound system with six disk CD changer installed. I would like to have the capability to listen to my iPod through the bike's OEM audio system speakers, to control the iPod through the existing audio controls and to be able to read the song selection on the instrument panel's radio display. I would also like to be able to fully utilize my iPhone while riding the bike. If your products allow for these things, please tell me which specific products would work best and how they would be connected to the OEM setup and how they would work after installation.

The response I received was:

Customers have used our unit on BMW motorcycle before. Grom unit would take the place of the cd changer. If your cd changer has a 3pin and 6pin connector you should be able to use our unit.

http://gromaudio.com/store/aux_adap...th_ipod_iphone_adapter_-_trunk_connector.html

+ ipod cable. You can charge ipod and listen to music. You can skip tracks like a cd. If you change disc it will change playlist of the ipod.

I am not sure about bmw motorcycle, but for most bmw car's, you can view text of current song playing when the ipod is in playlist mode.

I found this response encouraging but not convincing enough to dump my iSimple unit and switch to GROM.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used their model picker and punched in BMW 2002, 3 series all. I new that the cd changer radio was the same for the 3 series of the same years. I did not have to buy the conversion kit and the playlist/artist/album/song scrolls on the display on my 02.

I took a leap of faith and am quite happy with what I recd. I do like the fact that I can use my phone for music and it charges the phone at the same time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Goalie said:
I used their model picker and punched in BMW 2002, 3 series all. I new that the cd changer radio was the same for the 3 series of the same years. I did not have to buy the conversion kit and the playlist/artist/album/song scrolls on the display on my 02.

I took a leap of faith and am quite happy with what I recd. I do like the fact that I can use my phone for music and it charges the phone at the same time.
Sorry to jump in, but I have a question. I do NOT have the CD changer on my bike, (a 2005), but only the built in single cd.

do you think if I tear apart the tupperware, I could plug this thing into the radio directly?

Thanks!
Paul

·
Registered
132 Posts
Goalie said:
It took a few minutes to get the two included cables routed to the oddments box but no biggy.
From GROM's instructions (for BMW/VW trunk mounting), it sounds like you just unplug the CD changer, then plug in their unit. What were the additional cables you ran? For XM?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The GROM unit itself has three inputs, USB and two plug in types. The two cables that came with my unit were one USB to mini USB for my android phone and one plug-in type to 3.5 mm male (this one I plugged into my XM)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well I ordered my "BMW Mini 1998-2006 GROM USB Android adapter interface - TRUNK (BMWTN2) " yesterday. I will post again once I have it installed and let everybody know how satisfied I am with it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
jmhetzel said:
Well I ordered my "BMW Mini 1998-2006 GROM USB Android adapter interface - TRUNK (BMWTN2) " yesterday. I will post again once I have it installed and let everybody know how satisfied I am with it.
Well I received it Saturday. It was packaged real nice and came with detailed instruction. So. I tore half of the tupperware off to get to the back of the radio. The problem is that the plug that is on the end "vehicle specific harness" will not plug into the back of the radio. It is also not long enough to reach from the radio to the right rear suitcase. The wire is only about 2 foot long. I contacted GROM Audio support via email and am waiting a response. :mad:

·
Old Dawg
3,319 Posts
jmhetzel said:
Well I received it Saturday. It was packaged real nice and came with detailed instruction. So. I tore half of the tupperware off to get to the back of the radio. The problem is that the plug that is on the end "vehicle specific harness" will not plug into the back of the radio. It is also not long enough to reach from the radio to the right rear suitcase. The wire is only about 2 foot long. I contacted GROM Audio support via email and am waiting a response. :mad:
Isn't the unit supposed to plug into the CD changer plug in the trunk????

·
Registered
58 Posts
jmhetzel said:
Well I have been communicating back and forth a couple times with GROM Audio and apparently I need dash mounting cables. I told them when I ordered it that I only have a single CD player but they still sent me the wrong wiring harness. They are suppose to be sending the right wiring harness now, but I am still waiting on conformation on that. :brick:[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
335 Posts
jmhetzel said:
Well I have been communicating back and forth a couple times with GROM Audio and apparently I need dash mounting cables. I told them when I ordered it that I only have a single CD player but they still sent me the wrong wiring harness. They are suppose to be sending the right wiring harness now, but I am still waiting on conformation on that. :brick:
[/QUOTE]
I'm sorry to know that you are experiencing some frustrations with this install but thanks for the update. I know I am keeping up with your progress on this because I have a feeling that the GROM products are going to work well. I'm still waiting to see if someone goes with the other unit that is for iPhone since I don't see myself changing to android.

·
Registered
58 Posts
jmhetzel said:
Well I have been communicating back and forth a couple times with GROM Audio and apparently I need dash mounting cables. I told them when I ordered it that I only have a single CD player but they still sent me the wrong wiring harness. They are suppose to be sending the right wiring harness now, but I am still waiting on conformation on that. :brick:
Well, I received my dash mounting cable. It has a 10 pin connector, which plugs into the back of the single CD player and three bare wires to be spliced in. One ground, one hot, and one marked bus. This harness didn't come with any directions so I was clueless on where the bus wire was suppose to go. Also the 10 pin connector is symmetrical so it could be plugged in two different ways. The back of the single CD player also has two unused places where the 10 pin connector can be plugged in. The harness is also only about 24 inches long so I figured I would try to install it in the ottomans box.I didn't go any further. I didn't want to hook it up wrong and fry something. I got on the internet, and after some digging I was able to find a phone number for Grom Audio (650-592-1523).
They told me that the wire marked bus was to be spliced to the number 7 pin on the back of the CD player and the 10 pin plug was to be plugged into the left plug with the arrow facing up when looking at the back of the unit.

So I was able to squeeze the Grom unit into the Ottomans box right above the CD player. I wired it in as I was instructed. I still cannot get the song text to display at all.The only thing that displays is CD-TR01, CD-TR02, ect. When I contacted them they susgested for me to play with the config parametershttp://gromaudio.com/support/usb-config.html They said to try try using x= C0 or x= E7. I have tried those and still cannot get any text to display. Then I noticed that there was no sound coming from the left rear speakers. I thought maybe I had a plug somewhere that wasn't plugged all the way in or something. I finally checked right behind the CD player, the Yellow wire and the yellow with blue stripe wire and I'm not getting anything coming out of the Head unit.

Now I have a one out of four channels not working, even with the just the radio on, and a Grom unit that doesn't work as advertised. I am thinking somehow something got fried inside the radio amplifier. I don't know weather to look for a used radio/ CD player or to maybe send out my radio that radio repair guy I saw on another forum. I think I just going to ride it as is until the snow starts flying and then deal with it. :brick:

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Sorry to say, but you'll always have issues with Aftermarket CAR products and the support they give. They just don't know anything about our bikes.

That said, the fix you need is the cable from the front of the bike (one of those three/four connections you disconnect to remove the stingray at the front) to the CD.

I realize you do not have a 6 disk. PM me, I have a cable around here somewhere. Minimal charge too. this way, you can plug the unit in at the back of the bike and string the connection to the phone/ipod where ever you want.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.