BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The grips on my 2000 LT are pretty well shot. The rubber is so slick now that they are hard to hold, even with gloves. The previous owner had put on some ProGrips with plastic end caps. One was fully broken off and the other just seemed a bit ... idk ... cheesy and obviously cheap plastic.

I also have a throttle that likes to self-identify as a cruise control in any weather below about 60F and the grip heater on that side needs to be repaired as well. I'm assuming that there is either broken element/wire somewhere.

I saw some post somewhere that misled me to believe that 7/8" grips would work as replacements. Stupid me didn't measure. I made the mistake of ordering those, along with some bar end caps, and got a disappointing surprise when I started cutting the rubber off.

It seems that what is called for here are 26mm (or 1") grips. The Ariete 02624/C 26mm grips look like a viable replacement. I can get those on eBay for about $25. They are closed ended though, and I was hoping to get some metal bars ends ... mostly just because I like the look.

As I look at the bar ends, now that I've cut a bit of the rubber off, I see that the grip heaters form a barrel that extends a bit past the metal handlebars, with the grip wire going inside. I would think, ideally, I would want end caps that could reach all the way to the metal handlebars, for a tight grip and help protect the heaters should a drop occur, but they would need to be slotted or something so that the heater wire could run through. Does anybody know of anything like that?

I'm also wondering what is the best way to fix a sticky throttle like this. The nasty mess inside here makes me think it was greased. Is that supposed to be the case? Does anyone have a link that may describe the process of taking the heater barrel off and cleaning/re-greasing it?

-Steve
Titusville, FL

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,168 Posts
No fear of damage during a drop the bars will never touch unless you drop it at 40 mph! Most of us just use grip puppies over the stock grips. Good grip and easy on the hands and they pass the heat well. The LT don't need no stinkin' bar ends, That is for sport bikes.:)

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
With the wires for the heated grips coming through the center of the bar, not sure bar ends would work. The heated grips can be removed and cleaned underneath. Gunk does build up and some have put grease in that gets cooked and turns to tar. disassembly of the throttle is necessary and also removal of the sides and stingray to expose the cable connections. Once lose, the wire can be fed back into the hole through the bars as you pull the grip off. Tie a string to the wire before it goes into the hole to facilitate getting it back through. Then you can clean underneath. I did and it made a world of difference.

Although not in great condition, there is a pair on Ebay currently. $25 each. With a set of grip puppies over them, they may not be too bad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-K1200LT-Left-Heated-Grip/263258514281?hash=item3d4b6e2369:g:bDwAAOSwLTNZ3oaw&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-K1200LT-Right-Heated-Grip-Throttle-Twistgrip/253203654353?hash=item3af41d26d1:g:YPoAAOSwaPtZ3oV1&vxp=mtr

Reactions: anarchosteff

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,981 Posts
I've had to clean glue off between the heat element & the handlebar with lacquer thinner on a few LT's. When the glue oozed out it made the throttle sticky & harder to rotate.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm also wondering what is the best way to fix a sticky throttle like this. The nasty mess inside here makes me think it was greased. Is that supposed to be the case? Does anyone have a link that may describe the process of taking the heater barrel off and cleaning/re-greasing it?
The throttle twist shouldn't be greased.

Clean all the gunk & grease out & wipe it down really well with iso alcohol, then puff a bunch of dry graphite into it while reassembling.

That will work good & last a really long time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up buying that right hand heater grip replacement on eBay for $25. I also ordered (2) sets of Pro Grip 723 at $10 a set (just to get the one 1" grip out of each) and some grip puppies to go over the top of those.

I heated up the pro grips with a heat gun, put a bit of grip glue on the heating elements, sprayed them and the inside of the grips with Windex, and they slid right on. I then heated up the grip puppies with the heat gun, sprayed them with Windex (no grip glue this time) and they slid on pretty easily.

A note on sizing. The Pro Grip 723 seemed about a centimeter shorter than the original grips. They stretched just fine to line up about perfectly with the end of the heating elements. The grip puppies seemed to be about a centimeter or so longer than the grips, but they compacted down just fine to fit quite well. I'm glad I resisted the urge to cut them a bit shorter.

The amount of tupperware that needs to be removed just to get to the grip heater connector under the radio is a bit annoying, but both my grip heaters work now and I have comfy new grips now too ... so I'm happy.

On closer inspection, it looks like the reason my right heater wasn't working was because it was pretty obviously broken. I suspect the bike was dropped on that side and that's what damaged it.

I've decided that I can live with the open ended look of the grips.

-Steve
Titusville, FL

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,168 Posts
Good looking repair!!

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Agreed. Nice looking repair as John said. I might look around for something to keep grit and stuff out of the end of at least the right side where the throttle has to slide on the bar. Too much grit and your throttle may start to gt stiff.

Reactions: anarchosteff

·
Registered
185 Posts
Anarchosteff, glad to see your repairs turned out good. Is your throttle still sticking ? My '99 has similar issue; which I am working on now. I also had the "fake" cruise control mode because throttle would stay without twisting. Not safe, but I had gotten used to de-throttling manually. The electric cruise control still worked too. So after disassembly of throttle assy, I found the cables to be fine. I can actually rev the rpm's by pulling the cable ends ! So after, gaining much knowledge from this forum, I cleaned the bar end with alcohol and fine steel wool. Slick as a baby's butt ?! No !! Still some type of residue. I also thoroughly cleaned the inside of tube. When I install said tube/grip assy on bar end, it slides & twists freely for about an inch. After that, pushing farther, it sticks and will not spin freely. I also have a spare throttle tube -- same result. After cleaning multiple times, and using LPS1 greaseless lube, same result :( I checked to see if bar end is bent from a drop; but I have not ever dropped this bike to the right side. I am considering increasing the interior diameter of tube slightly with a dremel; or using a metal sander on the bar end. HELP !! Any suggestions from some of the genius on this forum ?! Thanks in advance

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts