BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From advice read on this board I decided to buy a pair of Grip Puppies.

From time to time I get a fair amount of pain between my thumb and forefinger on my right hand. The narrow grips on the LT really get to me after a few hours.

I ordered a pair of Grip Puppies http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GPSMALL&Category_Code=

I ordered the small size as reccomended here. Installation was a breeze, about 10 minutes total. Two things I would be careful with. I used dish soap and water as in the instructions. Be careful not to get this on the outside of the Grip. I did, and it made it much harder to install since they were quite slippery. Do not hold them up to your current grip and think they are too long and cut off a portion. They fit perfectly as they come. Good thing I bought two pair :)

My first impressions are that they are very comfortable. The larger grip diameter is much better for me and the sponginess really makes them pleasant to hold on to.

I have no experience with using the heated grips with these so I cannot make a comment there.

If you have similar comfort issues to mine, this is a great way to go. Cheap, easy to install and works! :dance:

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I'm ready to get a set too - except for one question.

Here in the Rockies, it can get a tad coolish at times. I like my heated grips. How badly do the grip puppies interfere - if at all - with the grip heaters?

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Briantime said:
From advice read on this board I decided to buy a pair of Grip Puppies.

From time to time I get a fair amount of pain between my thumb and forefinger on my right hand. The narrow grips on the LT really get to me after a few hours.

I ordered a pair of Grip Puppies http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GPSMALL&Category_Code=

I ordered the small size as reccomended here. Installation was a breeze, about 10 minutes total. Two things I would be careful with. I used dish soap and water as in the instructions. Be careful not to get this on the outside of the Grip. I did, and it made it much harder to install since they were quite slippery. Do not hold them up to your current grip and think they are too long and cut off a portion. They fit perfectly as they come. Good thing I bought two pair :)

My first impressions are that they are very comfortable. The larger grip diameter is much better for me and the sponginess really makes them pleasant to hold on to.

I have no experience with using the heated grips with these so I cannot make a comment there.

If you have similar comfort issues to mine, this is a great way to go. Cheap, easy to install and works! :dance:
+1 on the Grip Puppies. Bruce Coleman up in the Dallas area sent me a pair (actually two pairs, cuz I gave the first pair to the 7-year old next door to put on his Razor Scooter). Like you said - easy install. I just wish I hadn't cut the left one. It looked like it wuz gonna be too long and my FRS ptt switch wuz gonna be in the way. Nope, woulda fit just fine. I finally managed to take off the shortened piece; push on the cut-off piece; and put the other piece back on. Small seamage there, butt it don't care and neither do me or ole Toad. Good advice about not cutting.

I have ridden in somewhat cold weather and they don't seem to impede the heat flow, once they're warmed up.

BTW - kid next door axed his mom if he could git heated grips for his Razor like ole Toad!! :D

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
"I have ridden in somewhat cold weather and they don't seem to impede the heat flow, once they're warmed up. "

+1 to Dick's comment. . .
A couple of times I've accidentally turned on the heated grips switch and I notice the warmth to my summer riding gloves through those puppies.

My right hand used to go numb . . no more

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Zotter said:
How badly do the grip puppies interfere - if at all - with the grip heaters?
Not at all. After getting and installing a pair on my LT, I tried the heaters and could tell no difference in how the heat felt/functioned.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Briantime said:
If you have similar comfort issues to mine, this is a great way to go. Cheap, easy to install and works!
Thanks for the review Brian. I ordered a pair, and promise not to cut them before installation! :)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Just ordered a pair.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Also ordered a pair. Free shipping if you're not in a hurry!

John

·
Registered
659 Posts
These hold up very well too. I'm on third season with same pair....sweat, heat, normal abuse of the grip....they're as good as they were the day I put them on.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I have had'em on my bike and love'em. The heat works well and they are easier to hold on to. Better grip than stock.

·
Premium Member
3,139 Posts
On all the positive posts on these I just ordered 2 sets.

One of my issues is the thinness of the grips they are a problem for me, especially twisting the wick.

Thank you for the endorsements.

·
Premium Member
3,139 Posts
They Shipped already :)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I have a friend who has short fingers - will he have difficulty holding on to the Grip Puppies?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Shawn,

Not knowing any other information, I can't give you a great answer. I will say that I estimate they increase the diameter of the original grip by somewher between 20 and 30%. Please accept this as a gustimate.

I would say that if the original grips are anywhere close to being a stretch, I would not reccomend the change.

Hope that helps,

Brian

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Briantime said:
Hi Shawn,

Not knowing any other information, I can't give you a great answer. I will say that I estimate they increase the diameter of the original grip by somewher between 20 and 30%. Please accept this as a gustimate.

I would say that if the original grips are anywhere close to being a stretch, I would not reccomend the change.

Hope that helps,

Brian
Thanks Brian... Yeah it does I....errrr, my friend.... has short fingers but not something terribly weird ....

Sounds like it might make for a softer more relaxed grip as welll...

Guess I'll follow the herd and order a set - if they don't work, i'll blame you! ;)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
gulfxray said:
Guess I'll follow the herd and order a set - if they don't work, i'll blame you! ;)
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

You...er...your friend will love them. It's great when something is easy and meets your expectations :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts